Official Game Thread: Timberwolves at Hawks -- the MLK Day Game!

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's really the first time you saw an obvious offensive adjustment out of LP all season.  He went to what was working, and stayed with it.  And his star player didn't have to take forced shots for it to work.

Well I'm glad and I hope that stick with it.   Trae did have one bad three point down the stretch.  I'm yelling at the TV.. Don't take that shot, you're a 7% 3 pt shooter in the forth....  That's not your shot. 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

If you don’t want a retread, you have to gamble on guys like this

There's really 3 categories:

Retreads

Fresh Faces

Assistants. 

LP was an Assistant.  

Nurse and Nash are new faces...

What else is there?

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Well I'm glad and I hope that stick with it.   Trae did have one bad three point down the stretch.  I'm yelling at the TV.. Don't take that shot, you're a 7% 3 pt shooter in the forth....  That's not your shot. 

His 4th quarter three point shooting is terrible. What is up with that,

• Premium Member

As it pertains to coaching and the Nick Nurse example.. 

How many college coaches have failed on the NBA level?  I would say the failure rate is about 98%...

Here's why...

If you want to win a championship in the NBA.. the only thing that matters is talent. 

You can't show me a talented NBA team that is not in contention.

Lebron is the Uber talent in the NBA and he surrounds himself with other talented players and he's always in the finals. 

GS was one of the most talented teams ever assembled. 

You can make LP the coach of the Lakers and they would be in the finals. 

The thing that coaching does is give you separation in the regular season when you lack heavy talent. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Retreads

Fresh Faces

Assistants. 

LP was an Assistant.  

What else is there?

Nick Nurse was the Toronto assistant coach for 5 years before he was promoted to head coach.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Retreads

Fresh Faces

Assistants. 

LP was an Assistant.  

What else is there?

I was referring to someone in the fresh face category

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nick Nurse was the Toronto assistant coach for 5 years before he was promoted to head coach.

Retreads

Fresh Faces

Assistants. 

LP was an Assistant in Philadelphia for 5 years before being promoted to head coach.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Retreads

Fresh Faces

Assistants. 

LP was an Assistant in Philadelphia for 5 years before being promoted to head coach.

You listed Nurse as Fresh face with Nash.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

His 4th quarter three point shooting is terrible. What is up with that,

Well for starters, Trae isn't an elite shooter. He's a good shooter, but not elite. I've been guilty of the perception that he's elite, but it's just not the case.  That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the current slump. 

Year 1 he was 28.2% in 4th and OT from 3pt on 152 attempts

Year 2 he was 35.9% in 4th and OT from 3pt on 170 attempts

Year 3 he's 7.1% in 4th from 3pt on 14 attempts (think about that, he's avg 1 attempt per game in the 4th qtr)

I call that a slump because the sample size is far too small to have any real meaning. My guess is he ends up around 30-35% for the season once his attempts get ramped up.  For comparison, Steph Curry (who is obviously elite) has hit 38-40% over the last several years and I think he's over 40% for his career.  

They used to divide players on offense that get you baskets as either shooters are scorers. Even when he is on I think of Trae as a scorer with a great eye for assists. Uh, and turnovers as well. Not thinking he will become an efficient shooter consistently but if he gets to the line and reduces turnovers he can make up for a lot of it and we win games. Can't continue a 20% or less clip from three though, man alive. 

The bottom line:  HAWKS WON!!

Capela had a great game and between him and Collins, our other big three didn't get to set foot on the floor.  Trae earned himself a new nickname for at least this game:  Not Ice Trae - - It's Turnover Trae.  This too shall fade into the sunset, hopefully sooner than later.

:beathorse:

Yep.  My choice in the draft still plays well.  Meanwhile, Agent 0017 plays briefly in one game, then sets on the pine in the next two games.  I know.  He might cost us the game or he might get hurt trying to play with all those big old boys.  (Hush, Gray Mule.  Move on)

So many things have gone wrong with almost every NBA team this strange season that we strain to make sense of it all.  Our opponent wasn't great.  Neither were we.  Closed out the game in proper fashion.

Our first place Atlanta Hawks!  Wow!  As bad as everything is, this sounds great, doesn't it !!

:sun:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Retreads

Fresh Faces

Assistants. 

What category to College Coaches fall under? New faces, or re-treads?