• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Spurs at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Contested jump shots that were missed by the Spurs, after the Hawks tossed in the white flag and were down by 30+.   ( contested = jumping up or at the shooter . . not just a hand up )

Okongwu - 3

Knight - 3

Bruno - 3

Snell - 2

Gallo - 1

Solo - 1 

The point is this . . our bigs move very well, when asked to guard or contest shots on the perimeter. 

The major problem I have with a guy like Solomon Hill, is that he does nothing to affect the game on either end of the court.  He's not a defender.  His offense is very limited.  And he's little by most standards. All of our wings ( Hunter, Huerter, Reddish ) are taller than Solo.  And despite being heavier, he doesn't play "big".

With Hunter out, we've not only lost one of our most efficient scorers, we've also lost a significant wing defender.  Even though Solo is better at the 3, he's still garbage offensively and not slowing down anybody.

And with Cam ( 7.2 ppg - 31% FG - 9% 3FG ) and Gallo ( 9.5 ppg - 29% FG - 27% 3FG ) struggling in the last 7 games, we could be in deep trouble without Hunter.

I'm not even going to ask for PT for Bruno, because I think his time is done here. Unless LP changes his offensively and defensive philosophies, I don't think there's a path for Bruno here.  I also think that Okongwu isn't going to get a chance to contribute either.  He's active, but way undersized to play the 5, because he's not the type that will body up people, like Bruno has shown he can do on occasion.

So if LP's frontcourt rotation is Capela - Collins - Gallo and now Hill, we're dead in the water without someone like Huerter significantly raising his level of play every night, or Gallo snapping out of his funk.   I like how Knight moves around the floor. We know he has scoring ability.  And he'll definitely rebound better than Hill.  May as well try him at the backup 4, to see if he can be impactful.  Mays should probably get his shot too, if Cam keeps playing so poorly.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That should read "Hawk players who contested jumpshots missed by the Spurs" . . .

Whatever defensive malaise occured in the 4th quarter vs Dalls carried over vs the Spurs from the jump. Everyone was out of position, slow to rotate, played soft, offered no resistance, played with hands down, a complete disconnection from everyone.........just awful.

Good thing we play again tonight, so we can throw the 1st 3 quarters in the trash.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Whatever defensive malaise occured in the 4th quarter vs Dalls carried over vs the Spurs from the jump. Everyone was out of position, slow to rotate, played soft, offered no resistance, played with hands dien, a complete disconnecion from everyone.........just awful.

Good thing we play again tonight, so we can throw the 1st 3 quarters in the trash.

We are in funk, no doubt about it. 

• Like 2

@TheNorthCydeRises, I still believe in Bruno. Even if his time is up likely soon and he ends up in the G-league, it wouldn't be a shock if he's a legit starter in five years and maybe an all star. A lot of the young guys who are bigs will shine a lot more on their next team and 2nd contract. Today's NBA is so vastly different and harder than college basketball for bigs and all of these guys will need years to adjust. The NBA is still valuable for bigs but it's the type of big, you need years to get to that level. 

Tim Duncan talks about it often 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

I hate draft position/seniority politics. Play the best players. Rondo and BG have had ample time to get acclimated, neither has been effective for more than short spurts. Dont give me the "Mays was going against back ups." Rondo and BG go against back ups, and neither have scored 20 in a game all year. It wasn't a fluke, Mays had one of the best shooting work outs in the whole draft.

Mays was going against the backup backups. But I agree that he should get a chance at real minutes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JTB said:

Glad Mays played well but that set shot he has I don’t think he’s going to make many 3s when it matters without being wide open.

it looks like a good close out will disrupt his shot.

hopefully I’m wrong but for the most part I wouldn’t mind seeing Mays and Knight come off the bench a bit more .

Well most of our guys cant even knock down open shots right now...

• Sad 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, High5 said:

Mays was going against the backup backups. But I agree that he should get a chance at real minutes. 

This^. 

Would he look the same against real backups? I don't know, but I would at least like to find out particularly with Rondo and Dunn out, and Goodwin not progressing. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Hitting open threes would be a big plus for us. 

Yep. And alot of young teams are rolling out 2 point guard lineups..Lamelo/Graham, Sexton/Garland, Lonzo/Lewis, Fox/Hali, etc...Why not give Trae/Mays a shot sometimes? lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This^. 

Would he look the same against real backups? I don't know, but I would at least like to find out particularly with Rondo and Dunn out, and Goodwin not progressing. 

This.  We don’t know but he should get the chance to find out given how many injuries and garbage minutes are coming right now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

In all fairness, Cam plays against starters are we haven't ran the offense through him since last year when he was coming off the bench. Mays in the preseason or his first game took a lot of shots and never looked in rhythm till tonight when we ran the offense through him. Let's not be dickheads. It's not like Snell where we see him against rotation players in a real translatable role. 

Hitting wide open 3's has nothing to do with who youre playing against...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I hate draft position/seniority politics. Play the best players. Rondo and BG have had ample time to get acclimated, neither has been effective for more than short spurts. Dont give me the "Mays was going against back ups." Rondo and BG go against back ups, and neither have scored 20 in a game all year. It wasn't a fluke, Mays had one of the best shooting work outs in the whole draft.

^This

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, terrell said:

You don’t get the same kind of open 3’s against decent starters that you do against backups (especially when the game is out of reach).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Oh yes it does. Rhythm, how wide open are you. All of these things matter. If I have to guard DeRozan is a lot more energy exerted than guarding a g-leaguer. This should be common knowledge. That said, that's no excuse for Cam shooting as poorly as he has, I am simply saying, there is a lot more to it. Bench players are much worse than DeRozan and Murray and backups are a lot better than 3rd stringers and g leaguers on average. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

You don’t get the same kind of open 3’s against decent starters that you do against backups (especially when the game is out of reach).

Ive seen our starters missing wide open 3's plenty..

Just now, NBASupes said:

Oh yes it does. Rhythm, how wide open are you. All of these things matter. If I have to guard DeRozan is a lot more energy exerted than guarding a g-leaguer. This should be common knowledge. That said, that's no excuse for Cam shooting as poorly as he has, I am simply saying, there is a lot more to it. Bench players are much worse than DeRozan and Murray and backups are a lot better than 3rd stringers and g leaguers on average. 

I get that, but dude was known to be a good shooter...Cams shot was just known for looking good...But never going in...

1 minute ago, terrell said:

I get that, but dude was known to be a good shooter...Cams shot was just known for looking good...But never going in...

Cam's shot looks like shit. It's his release that's a thing of beauty. If we can get his shot mechanics to become best friends with his shot release, we would have is elite shooter. @thecampster

But as of right now, that's just not the case.

6 minutes ago, terrell said:

Ive seen our starters missing wide open 3's plenty..

Y'all really don't be watching the game like that. There is a lot that happens within an offensive set and defense. SA did a great job making Atlanta feel them defensively. They were physical, they made Atlanta work for everything and nothing came easy.

So while some shots are wide open, JC was just banging with Poeltl, that puts a lot of pressure on him energy wise and body wise. It's not the same as if he's playing Kleber who is more of a finesse movement defender and doesn't always play with that level of physicality. Y'all ball watch too much. That's the one thing I notice about this site and most for that matter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Y'all really don't be watching the game like that. There is a lot that happens within an offensive set and defense. SA did a great job making Atlanta feel them defensively. They were physical, they made Atlanta work for everything and nothing came easy.

So while some shots are wide open, JC was just banging with Poeltl, that puts a lot of pressure on him energy wise and body wise. It's not the same as if he's playing Kleber who is more of a finesse movement defender and doesn't always play with that level of physicality. Y'all ball watch too much. That's the one thing I notice about this site and most for that matter.

Not just last night..And I was talking about Cam, Solo, etc missing wide open corner 3's..

Edited by terrell