Knicks Rd1 - Playoffs Series 2021

JTB

15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

@JayBirdHawk how do you explain Randle’s disappearing act so far against us? Was it him taking bad shots that were somehow going in during the regular season, or is it the dreaded....

SPHINCTER!!!! :er: Has it tightened up a tad? 

:dance:

I'm not jaybird, but I'll respond.  We got MVP Randle every time we played him. It turns out, he was really bad in the midrange (30th out of 35 players with his same volume or more) all season and his 3 point shooting drove up his effective field goal percentage.   He hit some really big shots from the midrange so that's what we mostly saw too.

Now in the playoffs, he's not shooting the three well, not finishing well, and his midrange is still poor.  He's going to start bum rushing the basket soon. 

It's also Atlanta's defense giving him a lot to think about and he's not getting to his spots as effectively as he was during the season. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

I didn't know this nugget. 

Let's get Gallo to the second round tomorrow.

I hope we get this version of Game 4 Gallo for Game 5.  He was really active on both offense and defense.  I like driving Gallo as opposed to just settling for 3s Gallo.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe he just isn't a number 1 option.

I'll say again, our defensive approach to Randle in the regular season was to cover him one on one and for the drive, so we played off him and he was shooting shots with 4 feet of open space, if we doubled him it was a hard double that he saw coming and could easily pass out, we also defended him like he wasn't left hand dominant. 

In the playoffs, every shot is contested, guys are 6 inches off him, we are not sending a hard double, we are instead shading him into a double where the rest of our defense can stay attached to their shooters and we are playing that left hand, he has no game going right.

So Randle is the one with empty stats and a fraud star.  He’s gonna get one more chance to show otherwise.  

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Aside from some of the unnecessary chippiness, it's tough for me to clown randle for his play.  He had a great year and is playing about at his ceiling.  It's not his fault he has to be the #1 option on a roster that has far less talent than the Hawks roster.  I will say he has some maturing to do though because he seems to emotionally regress into a child when things aren't going well, which is going to keep him from getting better and understanding his limitations

Agree with you, for the most part.  But I say he should absolutely be clowned for his play.  Not all of his struggles are due to his teammates.  There are plays to be made, he just isn't capable of taking advantage.

That and the lack of maturity are on him.  Contrast that with the way Trae has handled the nonsense he's had thrust upon him.  Randle's 26.  This is his prime.  Yet the way he carries himself makes Trae look like the grizzled vet.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

So Randle is the one with empty stats and a fraud star.  He’s gonna get one more chance to show otherwise.  

I wouldn't say that - he had an unexpected regular season and dragged the Knicks to the #4 seed, but as everyone kept saying about Trae - what you gonna do when it's the playoffs and the lights are bright and teams can actually game plan for you for so many straight games.  Can you hold up - the answer so far on Randle is no.  Besides, before the series started, he chirped about beating us for 3 games in the regular season.

Edited by JayBirdHawk
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Agree with you, for the most part.  But I say he should absolutely be clowned for his play.  Not all of his struggles are due to his teammates.  There are plays to be made, he just isn't capable of taking advantage.

That and the lack of maturity are on him.  Contrast that with the way Trae has handled the nonsense he's had thrust upon him.  Randle's 26.  This is his prime.  Yet the way he carries himself makes Trae look like the grizzled vet.

100% agree Trae is looking like like the vet here.  I think that's an underrated advantage of having a #1 option that has been THE guy most of his life.  Trae is used to the big moments and big games -- Randle is clearly not.  It's unfortunate Randle is not more mature because he has a feel-good story for his career trajectory, everyone loves a "work hard and actually make it" story.  Rose is actually displaying that much more than Randle at this point.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wouldn't say that - he had an unexpected regular season and dragged the Knicks to the #4 seed, but as everyone kept saying about Trae - what you gonna do when it's the playoffs and the lights are bright and teams can actually game plan for you for so many straight games.  Can you hold up - the answer so far on Randle is no.  Besides, before the series started, he chirped about beating us for 3 games in the regular season.

Ooooh, I forgot about that.

ETA:  And, to everyone in particular, I do think the Hawks should stop talking.  Yappin' is what the Knicks did 'til the scoreboard made them shut it.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 4

Randle just might have needed to get out of the month of May.  I saw his May shooting splits coming into the series and knew he was trending downwards.  The assumption was that Thibs Ball was finally taking its toll and the hypothesis was, coupled with increased gameplanning, he’d be in for a bad series.  But it could just be a typical yet untimely slump that players always go through and June might  have better fortune for him *shrugs*

• Like 1