• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Knicks Rd1 - Playoffs Series 2021

JTB

It’s official...Hawks will play the knicks rd1. First playoffs for the young core vs another inexperienced Knicks team outside of some vets on both sides.

Let’s get to it and discuss what McMillan and this team need to do to get past the knicks and advance to rd2!

we lost the season series so give your thoughts as I can tell you right now that the media is not going to give us any real credit and every win will definitely be earned! The media loves the Knicks.

so let’s discuss...you’re in Coach McMillans shoes what’s your game plan ? How are you going to expose the Knicks ? Who’s the key weapon to our success and who’s the key weapon to stop?

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• JTB changed the title to Knicks Rd1 - Playoffs Series 2021
  • Premium Member

I'd like to see McMillan throw multiple people on Randle while they are on offense.  By that I mean switch combinations of Collins, Hunter and Solo (he did a decent job slowing Randle down in the last game and gives you additional fouls).  I don't want Randle or Rose to beat us  so if we need to double either from time to time to get the ball out of their hands, do so if their play dictates it.

On our offensive side, let's get Collins and Capela involved early through the PnR game.  If this happens, this can open up the outside shooting game for Trae, Bogi, Huerter and Hunter.  Get the Knicks in a situation where they are guessing while on defense then take what they give you.  Will also need the 2nd unit to play strong also, both on offense and defense.

We can win this series!

Edited by AtlHomer
spelling error
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I think Bogi is going to be an X factor for me. His game seems to be well suited for the playoffs and I have high hopes for him to perform well. 

Interesting pick for X factor at least to me.

Any detailed or specific reason why Bogi is your X factor for us in this series?

my X factor is a healthy Hunter. I don’t think he can shut Randle down but I do believe he can truly bother him to high levels. 

50 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Like I said in the other thread

That’s a good analysis. I think the hawks can take game 1 or 2 and come back game 3 with home court advantage 

• Like 3

I'll say the X-Factor is Trae.

The production is there   -   ( 24.7 ppg - 12 apg )

But the shooting isn't   -  ( 36% FG - 21% 3FG )

If he plays like that vs them, we lose.   We at least need him to be at his season averages.  And we need him to score the basketball with some efficiency. 

Knicks are a big team, so scoring in the paint is a lot more difficult vs them than most teams.   I'm interested to see what countermeasures Nate puts in place, if the Knicks size continues to bother Trae in the paint.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'll say the X-Factor is Trae.

The production is there   -   ( 24.7 ppg - 12 apg )

But the shooting isn't   -  ( 36% FG - 21% 3FG )

If he plays like that vs them, we lose.   We at least need him to be at his season averages.  And we need him to score the basketball with some efficiency. 

Knicks are a big team, so scoring in the paint is a lot more difficult vs them than most teams.   I'm interested to see what countermeasures Nate puts in place, if the Knicks size continues to bother Trae in the paint.

Going to a lot of counter punching. Thibs is one of the smarter coaches. Bottom line is we have to hit shots and play our style. We arent going to win an ugly slug fest against them. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The Knicks is the team that gives us the most trouble inside. Pack the paint and let Quickley and that dickhead Bullock shoot 3s. We can live with that. If they're hot, we need to feed the hot hand as well. 

Charlotte and Boston were as incompetent as LP, so they have home court advantage. Of all the possible round 1 opponents, the Knicks are the ones I didn't want. But we have the tools to beat them, that's for sure.

GO HAWKS!

• Haha 2

As you can see with what Steph Curry did to Memphis, superstar players can and will take over a game.  The Hawks have to consider Randle to be a superstar player.   This is what those types of players do in the playoffs.

And that's why good defenses try to take the ball out of Trae's hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As you can see with what Steph Curry did to Memphis, superstar players can and will take over a game.  The Hawks have to consider Randle to be a superstar player.   This is what those types of players do in the playoffs.

And that's why good defenses try to take the ball out of Trae's hands.

Julius Randle is not a superstar until he proves it in the playoffs.  He should not be mentioned in the same breath as Steph Curry.

That goes for Trae too if you want to be objective, but Trae is way younger.

• Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Julius Randle is not a superstar until he proves it in the playoffs.  He should not be mentioned in the same breath as Steph Curry.

That goes for Trae too if you want to be objective, but Trae is way younger.

You can't take Randle lightly though. He is their offensive engine. Everything runs through him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

You can't take Randle lightly though. He is their offensive engine. Everything runs through him.

You surely can't but calling him a superstar is a bit much.  Putting him in the same category as Steph Curry is also absurd. 

This is Julius Randle's first season being this impactful.  Superstars do it consistently.  That's my only gripe with the comment.  We do need to find a way to slow Randle down, but I'm of the opinion let him score and shut everyone else down.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You surely can't but calling him a superstar is a bit much.  Putting him in the same category as Steph Curry is also absurd. 

This is Julius Randle's first season being this impactful.  Superstars do it consistently.  That's my only gripe with the comment.  We do need to find a way to slow Randle down, but I'm of the opinion let him score and shut everyone else down.  

I agree Randle isn't in the same stratosphere as Steph, but he's still plenty capable of going off vs the Hawks.

That said, I'm with you to let him eat and focus on the other guys cuz I don't think he's putting up 60+ to beat the Hawks. Limit guys like Barrett, Rose, and Bullock and Hawks win imo. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The narrative with Julius is just like the narrative with Trae.  When those guys score a high number of points, their teams are very hard to beat.  For Trae, that number is 32 points.  The Hawks are 16 - 1 when he reaches that point total. 

For Randle, that number is 30 points.

The Knicks are 12 - 3 when Randle scores 30 or more . . . but only 14 - 16 when he scores 23 or less points.   Even today, that game vs the Celtics scrubs was very close because Randle was only 5 - 17 FG for 20 points, despite still dishing out 7 assists.

Randle is the head of the snake that we need to try to suppress.  If that happens, we win the series in 5 games.  If it doesn't, it either goes 7, or they have a chance to end us, if our guys are playing subpar basketball.

The Hawks are fortunate to have a few guys who have been in intense playoff type battles.  Capela is battle tested.  Bogi is battle tested on the international tournament level.  Lou Williams ( although he hasn't been great in the playoffs ), knows what it is about.  Gallinari does too.

For the Knicks, it's Taj Gibson and Derrick Rose.  Rose will definitely rise to the occasion, especially in the games at MSG.  But in my opinion, if we can limit Randle's offensive impact, that will lead to a series victory for the Hawks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The narrative with Julius is just like the narrative with Trae.  When those guys score a high number of points, their teams are very hard to beat.  For Trae, that number is 32 points.  The Hawks are 16 - 1 when he reaches that point total. 

For Randle, that number is 30 points.

The Knicks are 12 - 3 when Randle scores 30 or more . . . but only 14 - 16 when he scores 23 or less points.   Even today, that game vs the Celtics scrubs was very close because Randle was only 5 - 17 FG for 20 points, despite still dishing out 7 assists.

Randle is the head of the snake that we need to try to suppress.  If that happens, we win the series in 5 games.  If it doesn't, it either goes 7, or they have a chance to end us, if our guys are playing subpar basketball.

The Hawks are fortunate to have a few guys who have been in intense playoff type battles.  Capela is battle tested.  Bogi is battle tested on the international tournament level.  Lou Williams ( although he hasn't been great in the playoffs ), knows what it is about.  Gallinari does too.

For the Knicks, it's Taj Gibson and Derrick Rose.  Rose will definitely rise to the occasion, especially in the games at MSG.  But in my opinion, if we can limit Randle's offensive impact, that will lead to a series victory for the Hawks.

I'm not talking about narratives. I'm talking about you mentioning Julius Randle in the same sentence as Steph Curry.  His offenseive impact is no where near Stephs.  Steph has shut me the hell up this year because I said I didn't think he could do it without his supporting cast.  Steph Curry is one of the greatest shooters of all time.  Julius Randle no matter what he does should not be considered in the same sentence as Steph Curry.

Again, I get the point you are trying to make, but calling him a Superstar and saying his impact is the same as Steph Curry is just not factual.

Also, Gallo has a ton of playoff experience too.  

The Knicks have the old  Bulls and that's about it. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm not talking about narratives. I'm talking about you mentioning Julius Randle in the same sentence as Steph Curry.  His offenseive impact is no where near Stephs.  Steph has shut me the hell up this year because I said I didn't think he could do it without his supporting cast.  Steph Curry is one of the greatest shooters of all time.  Julius Randle no matter what he does should not be considered in the same sentence as Steph Curry.

Again, I get the point you are trying to make, but calling him a Superstar and saying his impact is the same as Steph Curry is just not factual.

Also, Gallo has a ton of playoff experience too.  

The Knicks have the old  Bulls and that's about it. 

This was yesterday, in a game that the Knicks absolutely needed to win.   If he has 2 or 3 games to this level vs the Hawks, we're not winning.  This is a superstar type of game.

• Haha 1