• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson - WELCOME TO THE HAWKS!

RandomFan

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Agreed. I've watched more breakdowns of him and Sharife and the Hawks killed this draft.

Jalen has two-way potential.  I'd love to see him in the short roll when Trae is traped and then you have him passing it to a JC, Capela, Bogi, Huerter, Reddish, Gallo.  I'm loving this pick more and more 

Sharife, I wasn't the highest on him at 20, but getting his type of talent at 48 is bonkers.  The more film I watch, the more I believe he'll be one of, if not the, best backup point guards within the next two seasons. 

I can't wait to see these young guys in summer league.  

Actually Jalen controlled that game in the highlights like a true superstar.  If he plays like that in the pros, The Hawks will have trouble keeping him out of the starting line up as a wing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Actually Jalen controlled that game in the highlights like a true superstar.  If he plays like that in the pros, The Hawks will have trouble keeping him out of the starting line up as a wing.

He controlled the game in transition. His halfcourt offense (playmaking), while good, still needs some work.  

He has a ton of upside though and his floor is pretty high in my opinion.  He's just an excellent selection at 20.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You can say this about any 19 year old prospect including Trae young.

This is true.  I can't wait to see them in summer league.

The reason Jalen fell was off the court stuff.  The talent is undeniable though.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

As a Duke fan, he's very raw but extremely talented. He reminded me of Boris Diaw with freak athleticism 

Charlotte and Atlanta hit this draft out the park with low floor/high ceiling players who fit

When did his foot injury occur during the season?

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Yeah plus it's not like he was getting any development while at Duke.  K's been mailin' it in for years.

Now lemme skate out before supes can get a clean shot off.  Haha....... 

K been trash after he won it all with Okafor and Winslow. After that, he just regressed and regressed fast. Pop looking washed as well. Still love K, but everyone falls off at some point. 

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

K been trash after he won it all with Okafor and Winslow. After that, he just regressed and regressed fast. Pop looking washed as well. Still love K, but everyone falls off at some point. 

.... you're not doing this right, supes.  Can't be agreeing with my shots.  Stick to the script, sir.

• Haha 1

I know a lot of y'all won't like the comparison, but Jalen reminds me a lot of Josh Smith minus the explosive vertical leap. Great passer for his size, and a lot of versatility on offense and defense. Hopefully his jump shot is better than Smith's was (it would be hard for it not to be), but Johnson I can see becoming a star if he develops like he should. A great complement to whoever he's sharing the floor with.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I know a lot of y'all won't like the comparison, but Jalen reminds me a lot of Josh Smith minus the explosive vertical leap. Great passer for his size, and a lot of versatility on offense and defense. Hopefully his jump shot is better than Smith's was (it would be hard for it not to be), but Johnson I can see becoming a star if he develops like he should. A great complement to whoever he's sharing the floor with.

I don't hate it. Similar height, weight and wingspans. No vertical numbers on Jalen but he looks like  he can get up on the break. Smith was a freak athlete though, especially early in his career before he added grown man weight. He used to fly.
Similar jump shot question marks. Both can lead the break, dribble and pass.

Smith's defensive instincts were special. Hopefully Jalen can bring some of that to the table. 

BBIQ, decision making, shot selection, maturity. Those are the things that kept Smith from becoming elite. Jalen has some similar question marks to answer. Hoping for the best.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, nathan2331 said:

Call me crazy but I see a little.. and please don’t laugh, poor man’s Chris Webber. A big that handles and can pass with ease and has a physical presence about him on offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Why is this just now occurring to me to ask? I dunno.

But do you think it's plausible that Kai Jones would have been our choice over Jalen if the Knicks had taken a point guard @ #19 as had been widely anticipated?

And would you have rather have had Kai? Or are you glad he was gone regardless, b/c you'd rather have Jalen?

19 hours ago, sturt said:

Why is this just now occurring to me to ask? I dunno.

But do you think it's plausible that Kai Jones would have been our choice over Jalen if the Knicks had taken a point guard @ #19 as had been widely anticipated?

And would you have rather have had Kai? Or are you glad he was gone regardless, b/c you'd rather have Jalen?

Charolette traded up in front of the Hawks to take Kai Jones.  Maybe Charlotte had intel that we would take Kai?

I would have probably preferred Kai on draft night as I believe he would be able to play with OO and JC in the future.  However, Kai's floor is very low and he's very raw.   We are probably looking at  two years before he gets meaningful minutes. 

I believe Jalen will start contributing a little before Kai, but the long term fit if Kai hits would be better in my opinion.  

• Like 1