• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

8/4 UPDATE: Collins to sign $125 million deal with the Hawks per Woj

timebomb

54 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

@thecampster, the effort is appreciated, but I disagree with some of it.

First, JC is able to sign an offer sheet now.

The Hawks can't match until the 6th, IIRC.

Two, verbal agreements are as good as gold in the NBA (with two infamous exceptions). This means that there effectively is only one team left who can sign him to an offer sheet without first working out a S&T.

Three, the Hawks are operating over the cap but under the tax so there's not really any incentive to structuring the order of the deals.

But the contract can't be signed/official until the 6th at the earliest. There is difference to letting him shop. The hold is better for the books than the contract will be.

53 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Anyone remember when Al Horford was a FA? Hawks offered 5yrs/$136 million, $6 million shy of a max - he still met with other teams as was his right. Guys are allowed to meet with as many teams as they want.

He deserved every penny. He was a role playing superstar.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Which may have been the tipping point issue all along.

Who knows.

Maybe we will soon enough.

Doubt it.  Why would the Hawks not be willing to give him the player option when he had the potential to go get significantly more money per year from another team but then cave on it when the market dried up and he no longer had any real leverage?  The Hawks could probably have squeezed him down by $10-20M if they felt like it and I get why they would not want to do that but adding a player option in that they had already drawn a line on makes no sense.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

But the contract can't be signed/official until the 6th at the earliest. There is difference to letting him shop. The hold is better for the books than the contract will be.

The hold is meaningless to teams over the cap.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doubt it.  Why would the Hawks not be willing to give him the player option when he had the potential to go get significantly more money per year from another team but then cave on it when the market dried up and he no longer had any real leverage?  The Hawks could probably have squeezed him down by $10-20M if they felt like it and I get why they would not want to do that but adding a player option in that they had already drawn a line on makes no sense.

Can't disagree with any of that.

1 minute ago, mrhonline said:

The hold is meaningless to teams over the cap.

We are only over the cap in theory right now.  With Snell elsewhere, all holds sent away including Lou but excluding JC, JC's hold was the thing pushing us over the cap. We were under without it, meaning if JC signed an offer sheet elsewhere and we didn't match, there was a method to offer a good contract, fit Gorgui in, then process the mins, then the rest of the MLE. Its why it didn't matter the order (as stated earlier) but for the purposes of being able to offer things, it technically mattered.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

We are only over the cap in theory right now.  With Snell elsewhere, all holds sent away including Lou but excluding JC, JC's hold was the thing pushing us over the cap. We were under without it, meaning if JC signed an offer sheet elsewhere and we didn't match, there was a method to offer a good contract, fit Gorgui in, then process the mins, then the rest of the MLE. Its why it didn't matter the order (as stated earlier) but for the purposes of being able to offer things, it technically mattered.

I'm not going to argue further out of respect for how accurate your scoop was on this. 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

I'm not going to argue further out of respect for how accurate your scoop was on this. 😆

Yah and I'm not arguing. I've been about as vested in this offseason as any in the past 5 years. Mucho respect for you and I think we're hung up on the semantics of actual cap vs practical cap. 100% understand where you're coming from. Probably a better discussion for off board than on.