• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

8/4 UPDATE: Collins to sign $125 million deal with the Hawks per Woj

timebomb

We can't afford to let John handcuff this team, i'm not a fan of throwing the bag at bigs with no elite skills. If you got no all-star appearance/notable accolades you should have some "self awareness". J.C is not in the Siakim/Bam mold, we seen how he performed in the biggest moment of his career sans Trae. I know we won't figure anything out until he comes to terms but I hope Schlenk is being shrewd. 

I believe the Hawks have an offer on the table that is more than fair.

Does JC really believe the offer is unfair?  If so, trouble rears it's ugly head.  If he was worth a lot more than the offer, another NBA team would have stepped up with an offer.  Example: Bogie last summer.

If JC is going to be unhappy if he has to sign with us for what we have offered, he may then be better off somewhere else.  We want him in Atlanta.  We want him here, happy.  JC, don't let your ego get in front of your happiness.  

I know.  Opinions are like noses.  Everyone has one and they are all different.  This is my opinion.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

This guy is trouble, already was this year with some issues with Trae

I should have added... at least as I understood that story, it turned out that McM took JC's side on that one. Just because one ascends to superstar status at some point doesn't mean he's to be assigned righteous status as-if every opinion ever held was necessarily valid.

JC is not "trouble." If anything, in that case, he spoke some wisdom into a situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Carmine said:

We can't afford to let John handcuff this team, i'm not a fan of throwing the bag at bigs with no elite skills. If you got no all-star appearance/notable accolades you should have some "self awareness". J.C is not in the Siakim/Bam mold, we seen how he performed in the biggest moment of his career sans Trae. I know we won't figure anything out until he comes to terms but I hope Schlenk is being shrewd. 

You get it, JC fans don't. JC is Dennis. He ain't what he think he is and he ain't close.

• Premium Member

I'm gonna try to steer us back to the basketball side of this discussion. Here goes:

I've been looking at cap sheets, trying to decide if there are any near-cap/over-the-cap teams that might wanna do a S&T for JC at the 4-yr max. This would mean the Hawks could ask a steeper price, but I'm drawing a blank.

This has moved into a strange situation, even for RFA. Are the Hawks the only verified offer on the table?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Man the way some of y'all talk about these men getting their money makes me look at you sideways. 

If you were in JC's position, you would fight for every penny for your family and feel justified. But JC does that and he's a problem now? 

Some of y'all got that "owner mentality" (IYKYK) and I'll leave it at that.

I always hear people give this argument every offseason. But normal people make the decision all the time to take less money to be closer to home to have more time home or because they like their current situation. Fighting for every penny is not what all people would do.

Oh and I don’t think JC would be getting less money if he accepted the deal on the table because I don’t think anymore money is out there for him.

Edited by timebomb
  • Like 1

Well, I knew It was not going to be a popular statement but there are some facts that are not opinions.

- He complained about lack of touches.

- He was suspended for violating drug policy.

- He underperformed on playoffs.

- 4/90 was already a good offer, he rejected and some reports say he felt disrespected.

- He is not an elite Big, he is efficient thanks to Trae but he cannot create by himself and is average on defense, I think he is a top 10 PF but not a Max player, more than likely he will never be an all-star.

- 5/125 is a hell of an offer, I even doubt is true, if he is far to agree such an offer as some reports are suggesting. I say yes this is not the only time John is going to be on highlights news.

I am not saying he is as complicated as Dennis or Smith but we cannot act as all these things have not happened, specially the 2 first ones.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is not correct. Hawks signed Dennis to an early extension 4yrs/$60. Just like the Hawks did last year with John, Hawks offered Josh early, he declined, they allowed him to test the market, Detroit offered more than the Hawks were willing to pay, they let him leave and signed Milsap.

THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK - it's called RFAcy. A player is ALLOWED to try and secure his best possible contract, Hawks either match or don't. 

It is very simple when another team offers more.  If the RFA finds no better offers, the real question comes around to whether the original offer will be there unchanged.  The good news for JC is that both parties are incentivized to reach a deal that leaves everyone happy as they will be looking to maintain a strong, long-term relationship so I don't think they will squeeze him like they could if this was a walk-away negotiation like buying a business or something (where the seller and purchaser have little reason to care about leaving their counterparty feeling miffed about the deal price).  So if, in theory, the Hawks offered $125M over 5 and the next best offer another team could make based on market price was $80M over 4, I don't think you'd see the Hawks drop all the way to $20M/year or anything.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is not correct. Hawks signed Dennis to an early extension 4yrs/$60. Just like the Hawks did last year with John, Hawks offered Josh early, he declined, they allowed him to test the market, Detroit offered more than the Hawks were willing to pay, they let him leave and signed Milsap.

THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK - it's called RFAcy. A player is ALLOWED to try and secure his best possible contract, Hawks either match or don't. 

How easy was it for folks to absolutely turn on Jollins?  Yikes.

Like, if players don't do what we want, what we say, when we say it, "He's trash, he's a cancer, I never liked him anyway!!"

Geez.   It's been like 2 days!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

@thecampster, the effort is appreciated, but I disagree with some of it.

First, JC is able to sign an offer sheet now.

The Hawks can't match until the 6th, IIRC.

Two, verbal agreements are as good as gold in the NBA (with two infamous exceptions). This means that there effectively is only one team left who can sign him to an offer sheet without first working out a S&T.

Three, the Hawks are operating over the cap but under the tax so there's not really any incentive to structuring the order of the deals.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

.....and with ALL of that, The COACH, The GM, The OWNER said JC was a true professional this  past year on and off the court despite them not coming to an early extension agreement. He was not playing for stats to inflate his numbers and forcing the issue, he did what was asked if him. Now you're throwing out adjectives like 'complicated, difficult, headcase' because you disagree with him for playing out RFAcy as he should.

Do the players make a lot of money, sure...but I will never begrudge them the opportunity to ask for whatever they think they can get. Now wether the team says yes or no, and wether they are successful or not is a different story. But I'll not turn a player into a heel because of it, particularly when ALL the facts have not been presented.

He really impressed me with the way he accepted a materially diminished role this year and focused on improving his defense and embracing that more limited role.  I have no reservations about his attitude or team focus at all.

Definitely want JC back and my view is that he was going to be an automatic match for any contract that he was offered.  With it looking likely that no third party offer will come, it is really about settling on a number that both sides can live with.  Makes no sense for JC to take the QO with a 9 figure offer on the table and the Hawks want him here to stay.  Should be a deal reached and this stressful week will be a thing of the past.

• Like 4