• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

8/4 UPDATE: Collins to sign $125 million deal with the Hawks per Woj

timebomb

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Basically, Lauri is just decent. Sap was at this stage but Lauri has a lot more potential. He's can create his own shot. He can dribble. He can pass. He has a good feel but his defense is bad. Real bad. His team defense is okay, he understands positoning at a high level but he doesn't move his feet well. He's not playing up to his level which is like Sap in Utah. JC is playing at his peak level. He's in the optimal situation. Anyone paying JC outside of Atlanta is risking putting him in a situation far less ideal which could make him less productive and impactful while being overpaid. 

Lauri goes to San Antonio. They have no #1 option. He's it by default. Poethl is one of the best defensive centers in the NBA. Lauri job defensively is a lot easier. He's getting the touches. Now he's performing like a legit All Star. His value becomes All Star level when right now, he's just decent. JC like Smoove, could leave Atlanta as he left for DET and his valued dropped like a rock when you don't have defensive minded wings or Al Horford to cover for your risks and mistakes. 

Basically, Lauri has a lot more upside than JC outside of Atlanta where Lauri is not in a optimal spot but JC is. 

Whenever you have a player who's in his optimal, you want to keep him but JC has to realize that and take a realistic pay. Especially considering, he's not that good. 

I agree that San Antonio could be a great situation for Markkanen, but I don't see how you can say he has more potential in a new situation than John when he's never shown it. John could attempt much more difficult shots and miss them too, until you actually make it work on the court Markkanen shouldn't be seen like he's got super high potential. He had years 1-4 for that. 

Now John may very well be delusional that he either deserves a larger role in Atlanta or that he could do better if he was featured on a different team, but at the end of the day, if our only competition to sign him is San Antonio who isn't even pursuing him aggressively, then it doesn't matter. Unless he's an idiot and takes the qualifying offer, what John wants as a RFA doesn't matter as far as the Hawks are concerned. The only thing that matters is what another team is willing to offer him.

• Premium Member

So if the Hawks are offering JC 5 years/125 million and he thinks that's not enough...wow. We could be looking at a Dennis situation where he takes the QO and becomes an UFA next offseason and frankly screws himself out of a lot of money.

I sincerely hope it does not come to that. Spurs were his only leverage and now they are off the table. Sign the deal and come back to the A, John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Sothron said:

So if the Hawks are offering JC 5 years/125 million and he thinks that's not enough...wow. We could be looking at a Dennis situation where he takes the QO and becomes an UFA next offseason and frankly screws himself out of a lot of money.

I sincerely hope it does not come to that. Spurs were his only leverage and now they are off the table. Sign the deal and come back to the A, John.

Nah, I don't think so. The risk reward is not there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I kinda wished we didn't put an offer on the table first, but I suppose they are trying to show respect.

Fact is there isn't anyone out there who could fit us like JC.  He can be productive without demanding the ball.  He's a 40% 3FG shooter who can also play above the rim.  125 ORtg, 112Drtg player.  A big contributor to winning basketball.  Was impressed with him when asked to guard Giannis. 

And a big plus, that nobody ever mentions, is that he IS HERE and HAS BEEN here.  We've got chemistry and we know it works.  We continue to grow together as a team, that has real value.  You plug in someone else and you're taking a chance and a risk.  It often doesn't work.

• Like 3

Just now, AHF said:

$28M for a net negative on/off impact over the last 5 years.  Well, at least Zach Lavine is a defensive powerhouse who will cover those mistakes right?  

Yeah-Right-Judging-You.gif

AH misses the opportunity to use the blink gif.

Take 2 ....

"$28M for a net negative on/off impact over the last 5 years.  Well, at least Zach Lavine is a defensive powerhouse who will cover those mistakes right?"

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e473atvtxlpjh50l2vjc2

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

It's like all of the goodwill Chicago did with Zo/Caruso just blew up in his face. Chicago GM is foolish. 

Yup, this move probably makes them a little better in the short term, well, maybe makes them better... but damn, at what price? They aren't sniffing a championship with this team. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Yup, this move probably makes them a little better in the short term, well, maybe makes them better... but damn, at what price? They aren't sniffing a championship with this team. 

Probably not sniffing the playoffs to be honest.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

After they traded for Vucevic they have to stay the course and continue to push to make the playoffs.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am being who I always am, love it or hate it.  Hate it, no, I love it, oh wait, maybe both. Oh shoot.

Because I am a passionate Hawk fan. I've always been passionate. That's who I am. Nothing you say will ever change that. Nor should it man, don't change, just be ready for these "critical feedback" hands lol

Is it really subjective? Is it? He's still available in Day 2 and there is no real interest from the Spurs who are the only team with money left. Schulz said the one thing that I keep saying, his camp has an overinflated view of him. This reminds me of Dennis who camp also had an overinflated view of him. Is that wrong or is that SuBJecTivE?  Both I think. The Spurs have money, and so do the Hawks (or the means at least). And, as has always been the case, the Hawks are frontrunners to sign him. Inflated or not, his final contract will land below his asking price, but ABOVE what you think he should have settled for before last season,

Bro, if the Hawk dumbass want to give him crazy money, let them. The consequences will be lethal. Awful GMing is so 2017. Even the guys people think suck now are still miles better than the avg in 2017. Agreed, I think

It's my opinion, I can say what I want to say just like you. Stop trying to f***ing lecture me. What the hell is wrong with you? Are you my dad? Stop it! This is a message board, post as you like. I am not stopping you, don't try to stop me. Principal reddawg. Man, when are you going to give me something I can reply to that isn't some teacher/student bullshit? Each one teach one, I am my brother's keeper, my brother. Not to be patronizing or condescending. It's all out of respect.

He does have that right and I have to right to tell him, he's a dumbass. Sorry, but I can't be an cashier at Wal-Mart and think because I received employee of the month, I deserve six figures. It's called understanding your worth and value. He's overvaluing himself and it costing him more money than he could have received already. He's making an mistake. We do not know this to be fact. All signs are that he will get more than what he was offered before the season last year, not less. So from that prospective, he did the right thing for him. Maybe he doesn't get the Max, I been saying that since 2020. But he will still sign for more than $90, so was he really being delusional?

It's called bad business. I have the right to call it out as he's in a public arena and I am public supporter. You can call it out as well. When I said, Al Horford should get the max and only a few on here agreed with me, did that mean I can tell them to shut the hell up, it's just business, if he wants it, he should ask. No, they were sharing an opinion. I can't change their opinion at all. It's their opinion. Facts, bad takes are bad takes. I chose to address what I considered to be a bad take. 

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Where did that rant come from?  Who's complaining about supes railin' against Jollins?  That should be expected.

It's more productive to complain about the Hawks missing out on the Melo sweepstakes.

1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

The market dictates your value. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

"I hate the player and the game!" - Supes

• Haha 3