• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

8/4 UPDATE: Collins to sign $125 million deal with the Hawks per Woj

timebomb

Collin's problem (a good problem), is the Hawks got soo good soo fast, that normally, a player on a rookie deal is on a losing team and wants to seek the max value ANYWHERE he can get it.  In Collin's case, he is on a winning team and wants to win.  It makes it hard to walk away.  It would have to be a monster offer for him to do it.

Edited by Hawkmoor

I feel like this will get done.  Maybe not at a max level, but it will get done.  There is desire on both sides to get something done.  

Also, the contract Duncan Robinson got yesterday likely sets the market for Kevin Heurter next year.  I think he's looking at a 5 year, $90 million deal.  

• Like 1

Wish this would hurry up and get done, if it does this off season was a HUGE success and we are title contenders, if JC leaves it could be a serious problem for the team.

So close to having a near perfect off season we really need JC back

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I feel like this will get done.  Maybe not at a max level, but it will get done.  There is desire on both sides to get something done.  

Also, the contract Duncan Robinson got yesterday likely sets the market for Kevin Heurter next year.  I think he's looking at a 5 year, $90 million deal.  

I think Huert won't be coming back. Hawks have a bunch of trade capital I wouldn't be surprised to see them involved in a big trade at the deadline. Can't sign every player on the team to 100 million dollar deals.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doesn't matter for whether we will match or not.  I agree we should match anything and look to trade later if needed.  But the deal he signs matters to us for how we move forward and how many cap complications impact us over the next 4 years.

I have to be honest and say that doesn't really bother me. The Hawks would move other pieces if needed. If nothing else we could just trade JC in a season or two if needed. I don't want to overpay for JC but if the choice is overpay or lose him outright then we keep him.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I have to be honest and say that doesn't really bother me. The Hawks would move other pieces if needed. If nothing else we could just trade JC in a season or two if needed. I don't want to overpay for JC but if the choice is overpay or lose him outright then we keep him.

In my mind, we are keeping him no matter what.  But the deal matters to me because I want him for the long-term and want to be able to build around him.  If he gets a full max that we have to match, that could lead to his departure or another's departure earlier than I'd like to see it happen whereas a lower contract might allow us to keep those players together longer.  So I care what the contract is and I'm happy to let it play out and match an offer if it comes to that over just giving him the max or something up front.  

• Like 2

If teams expect the Hawks to match any offer JC get's then why would they prioritize him? Better they focus on more realistic acquisitions.

I think the interest is there but teams are not buying that we actually let him walk.

Right now, he is holding out to see if somebody will step up and blow him away with a number, but it does not look likely.

The writing is on the wall, if I were JC I would accept that unless there is a potential sign and trade out there, Im either playing for the Spurs or Hawks next season. Easy choice for me. Let hammer out the numbers and get back to work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If teams expect the Hawks to match any offer JC get's then why would they prioritize him? Better they focus on more realistic acquisitions.

I think the interest is there but teams are not buying that we actually let him walk.

Right now, he is holding out to see if somebody will step up and blow him away with a number, but it does not look likely.

The writing is on the wall, if I were JC I would accept that unless there is a potential sign and trade out there, Im either playing for the Spurs or Hawks next season. Easy choice for me. Let hammer out the numbers and get back to work.

Agreed. Let's get this over with and get on with our week, lol.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yup, teams lock up their cap if they offer a RFA a contract, and anything but a full max will for sure get matched, so I think it's a matter of teams not wanting to offer the full max, and not bothering to offer less than that and tieing up their cap space in a frenzied Free Agency when they know the Hawks will match. Not good for JC, but great for the team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Collin's problem (a good problem), is the Hawks got soo good soo fast, that normally, a player on a rookie deal is on a losing team and wants to seek the max value ANYWHERE he can get it.  In Collin's case, he is on a winning team and wants to win.  It makes it hard to walk away.  It would have to be a monster offer for him to do it.

Collins problem is he's a good player that wants to be paid like a great player. Sacramento made that mistake with Buddy and they can't even get rid of him because bad teams don't want him and good teams barely have a need for him and as you saw with the Lakers. Teams pivot asap. 

Siakam is overpaid but he's a very good player paid like a great player. You can find deals for him. 

Gallo is a solid player paid like a good player, you can find deals for him. 

You can't pay someone double of what they are worth. That's an instant toxic contract. Hard for bad teams to get rid of. Impossible for good teams because they general don't want to part with their best assets.

JC is learning that NBA GMs are learning from past mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Repeat after me . . .

"John Collins is more important than De'Andre and Cam."

"John Collins is more important than De'Andre and Cam."

No offense but this is garbage. He don't fit the prototype to be more valuable to anyone than these two. He's more important than Cam if Cam is playing like shit but if Cam is just decent, he's massively more valuable than JC. JCs player type is Meh.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Sticking with my $25-$26m aav prediction. Is he worth that today? No. But I feel safe in saying he projects to be, and that free agency in your first vet contract isn't just about what you've done, but what your trajectory looks like. It just is. We were having this same conversation about Tobias Harris several weeks ago, and the two situations truly are pretty similar taking a snapshot of what people seemed to think of him when he was getting his first vet contract and the same for JC right now. The math says that if JC gets what Tobias did, then as a percentage of the salary cap, JC's aav will be in that range of the prediction.

Dennis Schröder and John Collins are the two most delusional Hawks former or past outside of Smoove I've ever seen and to be honest, worse than Smoove. 

John, you just f***ing good bro. Your not close to all star level even in a bad situation. You get no votes from nobody. But you think you are 5/120 good? Are you out of your f***ing mind! 

Dennis turned down 4/84. You stupid mfer.

Look, I am all for these guys getting as much as possible but in reality, you gotta be realistic about your abilities and what's your true value. 

John, you are a 5/100 guy like Jarrett Allen. You two have literally the same f***ing impact. That said, Atlanta would be stupid to give you 5 years when they have Hunter and Young. So you get 4/80. I can understand you fighting for 4/90. I know like hell I would but smart. You f***ing opt into the QC. Before you know it, JJ is fighting for your spot and Okongwu as well. Hunter as well. You gotta be smart about this shit.

Dennis dumbass really mucked up the bag.

• Like 1