• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

8/4 UPDATE: Collins to sign $125 million deal with the Hawks per Woj

timebomb

17 hours ago, niremetal said:

The impact of a bad salary that "only" eats up ~20% of your salary cap isn't that extreme--the Magic were legit threats to win it all in 2009 and 2010 while paying Rashard Lewis more than a third of the cap when his true value was at best half that. It just makes it essential to find a way to squeeze value out of players on rookie scale contracts (e.g., JJ Redick) and the right role players (e.g., Matt Barnes). I think Schlenk has proven he can do that.

But my hope is that the Hawks find a way to frontload Collins' deal so that the heftiest parts hit this coming season and next, before Trae and 'Dre's deals kick in. By the time his contract is up in 2025, the cap will probably be $120M-125M. If we can "only" pay him, say, $22M in the last year of his contract, that's not gonna sink us even if he goes the way of Chandler Parsons.

Actually I think the perfect deal is just like above that thecampster displayed.

Mainly because John's money will rise as his game rises and he comes into his prime. A young player would more than likely feel demoralized if his money was getting less as he got even better. I think people forget prime age 26-28 is when players really reach the peak of their game because of how fast alot our young players and others in general have been producing.

The biggest reason I'm for the contract though is because the league overall has been pretty good with raising the salary cap every year. That salary (above) should stay in line with the nba salary cap year growth. It might be a bigger bargain than expected after it's all said and done.

Especially when we see the bad 30, 40 and 50mil contracts in 5yrs and counting 😆 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sillent said:

Actually I think the perfect deal is just like above that thecampster displayed.

Mainly because John's money will rise as his game rises and he comes into his prime. A young player would more than likely feel demoralized if his money was getting less as he got even better. I think people forget prime age 26-28 is when players really reach the peak of their game because of how fast alot our young players and others in general have been producing.

The biggest reason I'm for the contract though is because the league overall has been pretty good with raising the salary cap every year. That salary (above) should stay in line with the nba salary cap year growth. It might be a bigger bargain than expected after it's all said and done.

Especially when we see the bad 30, 40 and 50mil contracts in 5yrs and counting 😆 

You make a good point. With that in mind, I hope the deal is like Bogi’s where it is flat for 5 years and we still get the benefit of the rising cap. 

To @NBASupes point,

If the Hawks gave him more today and peeled a few percent off of his deal every year, it would be friendlier in 2 years when signing Cam/Hunter.  Something like this at $124 million but much friendlier cap wise in season 3,4,5:  This is possible and if I were Travis I might try to sell JC on this as he'd get his money earlier in the deal. Backward scaling to limit the impact years 3/4.  Doing so would also make it easier to trade him down the road as it would be team friendly.

2021-22:
$ 27,000,000
96%
2022-23:
$ 25,650,000
-5%
2023-24:
$ 24,300,000
-5%
2024-25:
$ 22,950,000
-5%
2025-26:
$ 24,300,000
5%
Edited by thecampster

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

To @NBASupes point,

If the Hawks gave him more today and peeled a few percent off of his deal every year, it would be friendlier in 2 years when signing Cam/Hunter.  Something like this at $124 million but much friendlier cap wise in season 3,4,5:  This is possible and if I were Travis I might try to sell JC on this as he'd get his money earlier in the deal. Backward scaling to limit the impact years 3/4.  Doing so would also make it easier to trade him down the road as it would be team friendly.

2021-22:
$ 27,000,000
96%
2022-23:
$ 25,650,000
-5%
2023-24:
$ 24,300,000
-5%
2024-25:
$ 22,950,000
-5%
2025-26:
$ 24,300,000
5%

I believe they are allowed to do up to 8% decreases aren't they?  Many should want their contracts structured that way as money now Is worth more than money in the future.

58 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I believe they are allowed to do up to 8% decreases aren't they?  Many should want their contracts structured that way as money now Is worth more than money in the future.

Yes up to 8%, I was just trying to keep it closer, simpler. Remembering the cap number goes up every year (or in years we aren't shut down from pandemics). So as his salary is decreasing, the cap is rising creating that extra space to sign everyone.

• Like 1

We've known all season long that he was going to test the market as an RFA. Schlenk confirmed they would let him go through the process to see what's out there. 
5 minutes before free agency officially begins and guys are ready to throw in the towel on negotiations lol

Patience guys, things are just getting started.