• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

“It goes beyond wanting more minutes,’’ he said. “Cam thinks he should be the No. 1 option on any team. It’s good to be confident, but there was feelings he wanted things handed to him.’’

I have a hard time buying this.  Cam was the #3 option in college but thinks he should be the #1 option on "any team" in the NBA?  He played with Trae Young who is as obvious a #1 option as there is in the NBA but thought he should have been #1 over Trae?  I just have a very hard time believing that. 

I can believe that Cam wanted a bigger role and wanted to be higher in the pecking order but to truly believe you need to be the #1 on any team in today's NBA means you are outright delusional unless you are one of a very, very short list of offensive superstars (Durant, Curry, and Embiid maybe represent the guys at the guard, forward and center positions who could feel like that and not be delusional). 

This feels like overplaying the narrative from whoever this "NBA personnel man" is.

• Thanks 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I have a hard time buying this.  Cam was the #3 option in college but thinks he should be the #1 option on "any team" in the NBA?  He played with Trae Young who is as obvious a #1 option as there is in the NBA but thought he should have been #1 over Trae?  I just have a very hard time believing that. 

I can believe that Cam wanted a bigger role and wanted to be higher in the pecking order but to truly believe you need to be the #1 on any team in today's NBA means you are outright delusional unless you are one of a very, very short list of offensive superstars (Durant, Curry, and Embiid maybe represent the guys at the guard, forward and center positions who could feel like that and not be delusional). 

This feels like overplaying the narrative from whoever this "NBA personnel man" is.

I can almost agree with you BUT.....

We don't have a bonafide #2.   If Cam wanted to be the #2, he could have easily played his way into being the #2.  He was playing 23 mpg and with better play he would have seen more minutes.  This makes me believe that the article had to have a huge measure of truth in it.  Mainly he wanted something to be handed to him. 

I thought it would be interesting to look at the talk before he asked for a trade:

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/hawks-deandre-hunter-cam-reddish-stepping-up-in-year-two/

Hunter fits in perfectly as a small/power forward flex in this Hawks lineup. Look for him to continue to improve once he returns from injury, as the Hawks aim to develop one of the league’s deepest frontcourts with Clint Capela and John Collins.

Offensively, the numbers do not pop out at you, only averaging one more point and rebound per game. His progression and potential have shown in his 20-point scoring outbursts. Reddish had three 20-point games in the Hawks’ last seven January contests. He only had four such games in the entire 58 game 2019-20 season. Reddish has also delivered clutch baskets this season, including a tough layup over Kevin Durant to force overtime against the Nets last week.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/27/22252218/atlanta-hawks-deandre-hunter-trae-young

Hunter is key to making this new dynamic work. His offensive development has allowed the Hawks to start him at the 3 next to a shooter (Cam Reddish or Kevin Huerter) and two big men who can’t create much on their own (John Collins and Clint Capela). The fit between Collins and Capela, who are both at their best when rolling to the rim, was a big question coming into the season, but it has not been an issue because Collins has knocked down 3s (40.0 percent on 3.2 attempts per game) and Hunter has been an excellent secondary ball handler. 

I would not be surprised if Cam was bitter that we went out and got Bogi.   Cam was probably thinking that he was the future at SG and then along comes Bogi and Bogi is good.  Or maybe Cam looked at our offense and said that we were primarily PNR and so JC and Clint would always be the 2nd option.  Or maybe he felt like the competition with him Hunter and Huerter was going to be too hard of a fight for him to shine. 

But in actuality, if he was playing 23+ mpg.. then the Trade Request doesn't make a lot of sense unless he wanted to be the man. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I would not be surprised if Cam was bitter that we went out and got Bogi.   Cam was probably thinking that he was the future at SG and then along comes Bogi and Bogi is good.  Or maybe Cam looked at our offense and said that we were primarily PNR and so JC and Clint would always be the 2nd option.  Or maybe he felt like the competition with him Hunter and Huerter was going to be too hard of a fight for him to shine. 

But in actuality, if he was playing 23+ mpg.. then the Trade Request doesn't make a lot of sense unless he wanted to be the man. 

I'm not seeing what you are here.  He was clearly the #4 wing on the team this season.  His 23 mpg average is significantly less than the 29 mpg we see from Hunter, Bogi and Huerter.  Cam also started 21 of 26 games last season versus 7 of 34 this year and notably his starts were driven by injury.  

So I can easily see where he wanted to be higher in the pecking order but absolutely did not feel or articulate a need to be the #1 option on the team over Trae.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not seeing what you are here.  He was clearly the #4 wing on the team this season.  His 23 mpg average is significantly less than the 29 mpg we see from Hunter, Bogi and Huerter.  Cam also started 21 of 26 games last season versus 7 of 34 this year and notably his starts were driven by injury.  

So I can easily see where he wanted to be higher in the pecking order but absolutely did not feel or articulate a need to be the #1 option on the team over Trae.

What I'm saying is that the #2 spot is wide open. 

But like you said he was the 4th wing.   If he had shown that he was ready to be the 2nd scorer, he would have been afforded more minutes but he wasn't. 

So the article says... He seems like he wanted something handed to him. 

It looks like he didn't want to Fight Bogi, Kev, and Hunter for the starting position.   He just wanted to be made a starter. 

He didn't want to fight JC to be the #2 option, he just wanted to be made the #2 option. 

He might not have a grasp of merit. 

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Diesel said:

What I'm saying is that the #2 spot is wide open. 

But like you said he was the 4th wing.   If he had shown that he was ready to be the 2nd scorer, he would have been afforded more minutes but he wasn't. 

So the article says... He seems like he wanted something handed to him. 

It looks like he didn't want to Fight Bogi, Kev, and Hunter for the starting position.   He just wanted to be made a starter. 

He didn't want to fight JC to be the #2 option, he just wanted to be made the #2 option. 

He might not have a grasp of merit. 

That could all be true (not saying it is) and the article would still be off the mark when it claimed he wanted to be the #1 option.  Again, I think he would have to be not simply entitled but outright delusional for that to be true.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

That could all be true (not saying it is) and the article would still be off the mark when it claimed he wanted to be the #1 option.  Again, I think he would have to be not simply entitled but outright delusional for that to be true.

No.. The #1 option remark is just ludicrous... I agree.  I just think that I can believe that he wanted #2 option just handed to him.   Logically, the timing of his request (and some of the responses of Schlenk i.e. I was looking for the best deal and not the best option for Cam) makes me think that he felt entitled. 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I kind of can't believe we couldn't find at least as good an offer this past offseason.  Seems like a mistake on our part to keep a guy around in this situation. 

Well he missed most of the season and his shooting wasn't good (26% from 3) prior to the injury. What if teams were offering less than what we got based on those number.

At the time of the trade he was shooting 37% from 3, so he rmaybe ehabbed some of his value?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I kind of can't believe we couldn't find at least as good an offer this past offseason.  Seems like a mistake on our part to keep a guy around in this situation. 

The Chris Crawford doesn't work anymore.   He was pretty bad last season until his stint in the playoffs.   That was some Chris Crawford stuff.   I recall the reports that Travis was shopping him for a 1st rd. pick (that none of us believed) .. and I can believe that the picks being offered were out of the lottery.. probably late first round (after 20). So we decided to bring him back and showcase him a little more.   I'm sure his agent prolly went for it with the thought that Travis would look for a good situation for Cam.   And Travis publicly saying he was looking for the best deal for the Hawks and not the best situation for Cam was probably an O, BTW for his agent. 

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Cam finally gets to play and leads the team with -21 in 15 minutes off the bench.  Just needs time to learn their system.  #TakingHisTalentsToNY

I think you misread..

He had 6 points, 2 rebs, 0 assists,  1steal, 2 turnovers  25%FG, 0%3pt, 100% FT in 15 minutes. He had a +/- of -21.  The -21 +/- did lead the Knicks meaning NY did the worse when he was on the court. 

His agent is somewhere like:

I Give Up GIF - Give Up Sienfeld - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think you misread..

He had 6 points, 2 rebs, 0 assists,  1steal, 2 turnovers  25%FG, 0%3pt, 100% FT in 15 minutes. He had a +/- of -21.  The -21 +/- did lead the Knicks meaning NY did the worse when he was on the court. 

His agent is somewhere like:

I Give Up GIF - Give Up Sienfeld - Discover & Share GIFs

Nope, he's unlucky.  His agent says #NextRandyMoss.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

I don't think anyone should be surprised with a bad game from Cam on a given night or that he wouldn't function well with limited and inconsistent minutes.  If he is going to hit his stride somewhere, he will need steady, consistent minutes to work himself into a rhythm.  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think anyone should be surprised with a bad game from Cam on a given night or that he wouldn't function well with limited and inconsistent minutes.  If he is going to hit his stride somewhere, he will need steady, consistent minutes to work himself into a rhythm.  

Cam is a high usage player.   I don't even think consistent minutes will do it because they can give him 15 minutes per game and his numbers won't be much higher than this.   He would need to be a spot light of the offense.   Cam shined for us when we had the COVID team and everything was ran through him.   Other times, he played mediocre to bad. 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Cam is a high usage player.   I don't even think consistent minutes will do it because they can give him 15 minutes per game and his numbers won't be much higher than this.   He would need to be a spot light of the offense.   Cam shined for us when we had the COVID team and everything was ran through him.   Other times, he played mediocre to bad. 

I think you and I are aligned that him playing something like:  

5 minutes

DNP

DNP

15 minutes

isn't going to produce good results from him.  He needs consistent, significant minutes and role to hit his stride.  Looking at his career splits, they certainly tell that story to me:

image.png

6 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Cam finally gets to play and leads the team with -21 in 15 minutes off the bench.  Just needs time to learn their system.  #TakingHisTalentsToNY

I don't think Cam has ever had an even decent game against Utah in his entire career. The worst case scenario for game to play against a team he habitually struggles against 

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/cam-reddish-vs-jazz

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think you and I are aligned that him playing something like:  

5 minutes

DNP

DNP

15 minutes

isn't going to produce good results from him.  He needs consistent, significant minutes and role to hit his stride.  Looking at his career splits, they certainly tell that story to me:

image.png

Yeah.. What I said... High usage guy.  Consistent minutes isn't going to make him better like say OO.   Consistent minutes will give you consistent production at that level.  But if you want the best from Cam.  Give him high minutes and the spotlight.  I don't think he will thrive as a role player.