• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Thom strike you as a guy willing to be patient and wait on a guy like our group used to?

He strikes me as the kind of guy who will demand certain things from Cam and bench him until he has them drilled into him before letting him have a real shot at the rotation.  Mostly, that would be about knowing where to be on the floor for defensive assignments and then being visibly intense on the defense side of the floor.

If Cam can be in the right spots and show he is working hard on that end with his physical tools, he strikes me as someone Thibs could really like.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

He strikes me as the kind of guy who will demand certain things from Cam and bench him until he has them drilled into him before letting him have a real shot at the rotation.  Mostly, that would be about knowing where to be on the floor for defensive assignments and then being visibly intense on the defense side of the floor.

If Cam can be in the right spots and show he is working hard on that end with his physical tools, he strikes me as someone Thibs could really like.

Not that I'm trying to get lost in the supe, but the player has already (allegedly) selfish-played himself out of one spot.  Not sure I'm ready to project such a response to not being given what he wants.

What you're saying is true.  I just think it's more likely that he won't do those things to the extent the coach requires.  Honestly, it sounds more likely that the FO will trade enough guys so as to force the coach's hand.  Not sure that'd be a good thing or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Not that I'm trying to get lost in the supe, but the player has already (allegedly) selfish-played himself out of one spot.  Not sure I'm ready to project such a response to not being given what he wants.

What you're saying is true.  I just think it's more likely that he won't do those things to the extent the coach requires.  Honestly, it sounds more likely that the FO will trade enough guys so as to force the coach's hand.  Not sure that'd be a good thing or not.

Thibs strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't let himself be bullied into giving minutes to someone he thought wasn't ready.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Thibs strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't let himself be bullied into giving minutes to someone he thought wasn't ready.

That's a glass half full look at it.  My glass half empty look at it tells me he's stubborn to a fault.  Either way, no need to fight about it.  He'll never coach the Hawks so whatevs.  Know what I mean?

• Like 1

Why do folks act like Cam never got a shot? He started 63 games with Atl. His averages per season are pretty much identical. He is an average player. He does nothing exceptional on a basketball court. He is a role player who wants to be a star because folks tell him he is. If he would except being a John Collins type that does what is needed he could excel. He is Aaron Mckie in a larger package.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Why do folks act like Cam never got a shot? He started 63 games with Atl. His averages per season are pretty much identical. He is an average player. He does nothing exceptional on a basketball court. He is a role player who wants to be a star because folks tell him he is. If he would except being a John Collins type that does what is needed he could excel. He is Aaron Mckie in a larger package.

I don't think anyone is upset because TS and LP/Nate never gave him a shot here.  Those of us sorry to see him gone are disappointed that his development never reached the point (or close to the point) of maximizing his tools (with injuries and the Covid shutdown being a huge part of that).  We aren't sad because he never had a chance to play, it is because we hoped he would take the leap in an Atlanta uniform and for a variety of reasons that didn't happen.  Just got snippets of it like the big strides his last few months as a rookie and his big games in the playoffs last year which were followed by some regression and ultimately led to his requesting to leave before he'd reached that next level.  

As a fan, I'm more indifferent to him now that he is in New York but I still feel like he could blossom.  Can easily see a scenario where he rides the bench until he shows Thibs he understands what he needs to do on the floor and is bought in and then moves from DNP-CD to a key part of New York's rotation.  Maybe that doesn't happen and he takes the leap with his next team.  Who knows.  Just sad my dreams of Cam being a two-way force will never happen in Atlanta and my hopes and expectations are much less for Knox and unnamed FRP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

Just pointing out a fact

I was just being a smart ***.  Here, I think there is more correlation than causation.  I think we'd be winning with Hunter, Bogi, OO and Cap all healthy just like we won last year after Bogi got healthy.  We might benefit some from a simplified rotation and some improved focus after TS called the team out and made the trade but my personal view is that we'd be winning a lot more if Cam was still here too.  Likewise, I'd bet whatever is causing New York to lose games has little to nothing to do with either the arrival of Cam or the departure of Knox.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I was just being a smart ***.  Here, I think there is more correlation than causation.  I think we'd be winning with Hunter, Bogi, OO and Cap all healthy just like we won last year after Bogi got healthy.  We might benefit some from a simplified rotation and some improved focus after TS called the team out and made the trade but my personal view is that we'd be winning a lot more if Cam was still here too.  Likewise, I'd bet whatever is causing New York to lose games has little to nothing to do with either the arrival of Cam or the departure of Knox.

Yea, I know, I wasn't being serious with my post either

Basically Cam has gotten the exact same minutes as Knox and provided the same production, so yea I don't think it's been a factor. However, worth noting everyone figured Cam was going to help them, especially Knicks fans, and that hasn't happened yet. On the other hand Hawks haven't missed Cam at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I don't think anyone is upset because TS and LP/Nate never gave him a shot here.  Those of us sorry to see him gone are disappointed that his development never reached the point (or close to the point) of maximizing his tools (with injuries and the Covid shutdown being a huge part of that).  We aren't sad because he never had a chance to play, it is because we hoped he would take the leap in an Atlanta uniform and for a variety of reasons that didn't happen.  Just got snippets of it like the big strides his last few months as a rookie and his big games in the playoffs last year which were followed by some regression and ultimately led to his requesting to leave before he'd reached that next level.  

As a fan, I'm more indifferent to him now that he is in New York but I still feel like he could blossom.  Can easily see a scenario where he rides the bench until he shows Thibs he understands what he needs to do on the floor and is bought in and then moves from DNP-CD to a key part of New York's rotation.  Maybe that doesn't happen and he takes the leap with his next team.  Who knows.  Just sad my dreams of Cam being a two-way force will never happen in Atlanta and my hopes and expectations are much less for Knox and unnamed FRP.

I get it, but as Hawks fan, shoot an NBA fan, most guys go the route of Cam. I have heard  2/3 of 1st rd players don't make it past their first contract.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

I get it, but as Hawks fan, shoot an NBA fan, most guys go the route of Cam. I have heard  2/3 of 1st rd players don't make it past their first contract.  

As someone who bet against Cam his rookie season, I'll happily take a bet with anyone who think he won't get a new contract after this one.

On 2/4/2022 at 2:28 PM, AHF said:

Just got snippets of it like the big strides his last few months as a rookie and his big games in the playoffs last year which were followed by some regression and ultimately led to his requesting to leave before he'd reached that next level.  

Let's not overstate his "big games" in the playoffs.  He played in 4 games with only one that he really shined and a couple key plays in the other games.  Scored 11, 12, 7, and 21 points in those 4 games.  

So now it's Thibs is coaching him up and then we'll see the real Cam.  Maybe.  

• Premium Member

https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/tom-thibodeau-didnt-want-knicks-to-trade-for-cam-reddish/

Ironically, Reddish, the No. 10 pick of the 2019 draft, asked for a trade before the season began from the Hawks because he wanted more minutes. He was averaging 23.4 minutes per game with Atlanta.

However, another NBA personnel man who spoke with the Hawks about Reddish said the issue felt larger.

“It goes beyond wanting more minutes,’’ he said. “Cam thinks he should be the No. 1 option on any team. It’s good to be confident, but there was feelings he wanted things handed to him.’’

Hawks GM Travis Schlenk made a point to say he traded Reddish with an eye on the best deal and not the best situation for Reddish.