• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Cam Trade (Assuming No Follow-Up Deal)

AHF

Rate the Cam Trade Assuming There Is No Other Shoe to Fall  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Cam trade in isolation? We all know more trades could be coming but if this is it, how do you feel about what we gave up versus what we got?

• A - Cam's metrics and what I saw show he was one of the worst players in the league. Getting a first round pick, even a protected one, for someone like that is a steal.
    • B - Cam had potential but never got to be a net positive and we can't keep waiting. Needed to shake things up and getting a first plus Knox makes sense even if it isn't a home run.
    • C - We didn't lose much and didn't gain a lot. The potential of the draft pick makes up for the potential we lost with Cam. Fair deal on both sides.
    • D - Giving up on Cam should have brought a better pick back (too much protection on this) but it could have been worse.
    • F - Dumpster fire of a deal. Not sure I can look at Travis the same ever again. This is painful.
    • None of A through F fit for me. I don't like the dealand will give my reason for not picking a choice above in the comments below
    • None of A through F fit for me. I like the deal and will give my reason for not picking a choice above in the comments below.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/24/2022 at 11:00 PM

• Premium Member

I think to really rate this deal, I need to see what Cam gets extended for.  I put C for neutral.  If he plays much much better and gets on a reasonable contract for the Knicks, I will jump on the "F" train, but I suspect he's going to be on an overpay-for-potential type of contract that I wouldn't want.

Last two seasons (each player listed for each season):

image.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I trust in Travis. So does my source FWIW. He isn't an idiot despite what a handful of trolls on here think.

I gave it a D. I like to think we could have gotten a first with lighter protections but again: everyone in the NBA knew we weren't keeping Cam. That seriously hurts his trade value for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I trust in Travis. So does my source FWIW. He isn't an idiot despite what a handful of trolls on here think.

I gave it a D. I like to think we could have gotten a first with lighter protections but again: everyone in the NBA knew we weren't keeping Cam. That seriously hurts his trade value for us.

I am definitely in the category of people hoping Travis has a plan to flip this with other players and/or picks for a big addition to the team.  In and of itself, I find this trade to be really painful in that trades upside for upside but Cam's upside is rare while mid-first picks generally don't amount to anything as the Hawks long history in this area of the draft attests.  At least TS is our one GM with big success in this area.

• Like 2

I voted D because I don't like the deal but honestly, it's hard for me to rate because I can't imagine it being a stand alone trade. That just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. So I said D.  

I didn't pick F because there's no way any deal involving Cam could make me question how I view TS.  Cam is an inconsistent young player with loads of unrealized potential. He's on the edges.  A periphery guy.  The clock is ticking for his extension and he hasn't shown any ability to be a guy we can count on.  It's about like trading Jaylen Johnson.  Just not a deal I'm going to get crazy over one way or another.  So it's a D for me.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I voted D...wish the protections were lighter.

Cam has been on the trade block since last season, Hawks have been seeking a 1st rounder was EVERY report.

My preference would have been to combine him with Gallo for 1 singularly upgrade.

• Like 4

Stats say Cam is not that good.  We are making way too much out of this.

Our own GM and every GM has spoken.  The only people who value Cam as a star are fans.  Even a team like OKC or Houston had a chance to get a “franchise cornerstone” and didn’t assess Cam as that valuable.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

D is about right. The protections are pretty bad, but I think the team gets better in his absence. Interested to see how he progresses over the next few years, but unless he is significantly better next year, we should have no regrets for this deal because we would trade him anyways and get way less for an RFA SNT or letting him walk.