• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

STAND PAT!!!!!!

Spud2nique

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We're going to stand pat, hoping that C+ students turn into A- students.

You know what that means . . .

Hurdles-fail GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Who are these C+ students that you're referring to🤔 Name some names so they can get some final report cards at the end of this season.

Edited by sillent

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We're going to stand pat, hoping that C+ students turn into A- students.

You know what that means . . .

Hurdles-fail GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yep.  It means that if they have someone wise enough to teach them how to improve, they will be better!

:smug:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, sillent said:

So from what I'm hearing about Hunter is he's reached his peak at 25.

That's sad if that's the case because most players don't even touch their prime until 26 and that can usually run to about 30/32 before they reach their peak.

All I'm saying if I'm wrong and y'all are right then that's sad for Hunter and he'd be who I thought he was when we originally drafted him.

So far Hunter has surprised me at every turn of my expectations and at this point I don't doubt that he will continue.

Believe me I get what y'all see. I'm sure Hunter knows what he needs/needed to work on as well.

I'd be highly surprised if he comes back the exact same player that we saw last yr especially going into the off season healthy but we'll see.

At what age do you say Marvin Williams hit his peak?

You may be the second biggest Hunter fan, but you're not going to guilt trip us out of the eye test.   He doesn't make an impact.  He doesn't seem to want to improve that.   He has been in the league this long and this was a contract year and we didn't see much improvement.

Has he hit his peak?  Who knows.  But what we can see is that he's not making large leaps. 

Tell me.. what has changed over the 4 years since this write up?

Weaknesses: There is not one clear thing that he does elite for the next level … He has offensive versatility but what go to move does he have for the NBA? … Has never shown the ability to take over games offensively … He can shoot the NBA 3pt shot but he has limited attempts and he isn’t a shoot first type player … His ideal position is still a question mark … Not sure if his perimeter handle or passing will allow him to be a high-level SF … Also uncertainty about whether his size and physicality will allow him to be a high-level PF … He is considered a “versatile and possibly elite defender” by many scouts but his steal and block rate is very low for that projection … He looks mechanical at times … For his size, length and agility his rebounding numbers are shockingly low …He is an older Sophomore compared to most , turning 22 later this year …

This is the same eye test that we see now.. 4 years later.  Has he hit his peak?  Who knows.  Be we can see that he's not making large leaps. 

Ok.. so who do we blame now..

I've heard it is Trae's fault.

I've heard it is Lloyd's fault.

I've heard it is Nate's fault.

It's probably Cam's fault. 

Here's the thing.  He has his money now.   His first interaction with Quin didn't go so well.  Let's see what will become of his play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sillent said:

Who are these C+ students that you're referring to🤔 Name some names so they can get some final report cards at the end of this season.

For what their roles are on the team, here would be the grades I'd give out for last season

Trae: ( projected = A . . . . grade = B )

DJ:  ( projected = B+ . . . grade = B )

Hunter:  ( projected = B . . . grade = C+ )

Collins:  ( projected = B . . . grade = D+ )

Capela:  ( projected = B . . . grade = B- )

Bogi:  ( projected = B . . . grade = B- )

AJ:  ( projected = C- . . . grade = B- )

JJ:  ( projected = C . . . grade = C+ )

OO:  ( projected = C+ . . . grade = A- )

Bey:  ( projected = B- . . . grade = B- )

So we need those C+ / B- students to really be outstanding this year, for the team to rapidly improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't doubt that our players will get better next season, I just question how good and consistent they'll be to lead to real 'winning'

AJ, JJ, and OO are the primary "young players" we reference.

AJ can probably be set loose to start at the 3 BUT not in combination with JJ at the 4. JJ needs to probably get more minutes but not starting because he probably can't keep up with the star level 3's and is too small for the start level 4's. 

There is a huge issue with CC and Dre losing even more trade value.  A good GM will find a spot for those to allow OO, JJ, and AJ to get more minutes but also need a talented stop gap at the 4 spot. 

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

If we stand pat im not really frustrated.

I think the logical thinking that many fans have is that we HAVE to have only one starting 5 lineup and to me that’s the wrong approach.

I think if we stand pat and don’t make any moves we will have multiple starting 5 lineups depending on the opponent or until one of the youngsters prove they are a sure starter.

The only sure starters we currently have on the team for majority games in my opinion is Trae, Murray, & Hunter.

The PF & Center positions should be based on matchups. May need to start OO at center vs some teams and then teams with bigger centers start Capela. At the 4 we may have to start Jalen there some games and other games we may have to run very small and start Bey. Maybe OO shot takes a full swing and he can play primarily at the 4 in some cases.

at the end of the day we have a good mixture of players with a decently deep roster in my opinion. If they overly excel I can see us being a 4th seed but overall I would say Quinn’s coaching may keep us out of the play in and going into the playoffs as a 6th seed.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

AJ, JJ, and OO are the primary "young players" we reference.

AJ can probably be set loose to start at the 3 BUT not in combination with JJ at the 4. JJ needs to probably get more minutes but not starting because he probably can't keep up with the star level 3's and is too small for the start level 4's. 

There is a huge issue with CC and Dre losing even more trade value.  A good GM will find a spot for those to allow OO, JJ, and AJ to get more minutes but also need a talented stop gap at the 4 spot. 

If you look at the young talent we are pretty deep! Throw in the fact that we also have Mills and Bogi as backcourt vets at the current time.

I mean it ain’t no championship roster but it is a pretty deep roster of young talented players. 

I think Jalen could show starter capabilities this season and earn his starting minutes at either the 3 or 4.

it would be nice if we could add Siakam and keep the younger core talent but that ain’t possible.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JTB said:

If we stand pat im not really frustrated.

I think the logical thinking that many fans have is that we HAVE to have only one starting 5 lineup and to me that’s the wrong approach.

I think if we stand pat and don’t make any moves we will have multiple starting 5 lineups depending on the opponent or until one of the youngsters prove they are a sure starter.

The only sure starters we currently have on the team for majority games in my opinion is Trae, Murray, & Hunter.

The PF & Center positions should be based on matchups. May need to start OO at center vs some teams and then teams with bigger centers start Capela. At the 4 we may have to start Jalen there some games and other games we may have to run very small and start Bey. Maybe OO shot takes a full swing and he can play primarily at the 4 in some cases.

at the end of the day we have a good mixture of players with a decently deep roster in my opinion. If they overly excel I can see us being a 4th seed but overall I would say Quinn’s coaching may keep us out of the play in and going into the playoffs as a 6th seed.

If we don't stand pat, and make a move for a more significant player, what is our ceiling under Snyder?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If we don't stand pat, and make a move for a more significant player, what is our ceiling under Snyder?

If Snyder is as good as advertised he should be able to do with a more talented group at least as much as Spostra did last year with a lesser squad.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

At what age do you say Marvin Williams hit his peak?

You may be the second biggest Hunter fan😧, but you're not going to guilt trip us out of the eye test.   He doesn't make an impact.  He doesn't seem to want to improve that.   He has been in the league this long and this was a contract year and we didn't see much improvement.

Has he hit his peak?  Who knows.  But what we can see is that he's not making large leaps. 

Tell me.. what has changed over the 4 years since this write up?

This is the same eye test that we see now.. 4 years later.  Has he hit his peak?  Who knows.  Be we can see that he's not making large leaps. 

Ok.. so who do we blame now..

I've heard it is Trae's fault.

I've heard it is Lloyd's fault.

I've heard it is Nate's fault.

It's probably Cam's fault. 

Here's the thing.  He has his money now.   His first interaction with Quin didn't go so well.  Let's see what will become of his play.

Honestly I couldn't read past the bold statement in your comments because you've already pegged me wrong. I didn't ever say I was a Hunter fan.

Cam fan yes probably one of the biggest.

Only thing I said about Hunter is he continues to prove me wrong. Meaning I've bet against him since day one. Maybe y'all are so down on him because y'all had greater expectations.

I just attempt to call it like I see it and try to look beyond what we can physically now but also the potential in the future. So I stand pat in saying I see where he can go and this summer is great fuel for him to breakout.

ps didn't mean for all of this to be bold but just rolled with it.

Edited by sillent
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

For what their roles are on the team, here would be the grades I'd give out for last season

Trae: ( projected = A . . . . grade = B )

DJ:  ( projected = B+ . . . grade = B )

Hunter:  ( projected = B . . . grade = C+ )

Collins:  ( projected = B . . . grade = D+ )

Capela:  ( projected = B . . . grade = B- )

Bogi:  ( projected = B . . . grade = B- )

AJ:  ( projected = C- . . . grade = B- )

JJ:  ( projected = C . . . grade = C+ )

OO:  ( projected = C+ . . . grade = A- )

Bey:  ( projected = B- . . . grade = B- )

So we need those C+ / B- students to really be outstanding this year, for the team to rapidly improve.

I agree with every single grade here for last year except JJ. He should at least be a B-.

Either way I bet all those grades go up after this season which means there definitely won't be any C students by the end of the yr unless someone horribly starts to regress. 

Bogi and Clint have been too much of vets to fall that fast so I'll rock with a B - A squad with good coaching and good chemistry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I’m going to have to say 6th seed is the best and anything higher would be tremendously good.

I say Synder is good enough to keep us out of play in games (in a good way) and actually making the playoffs. The only reason I wouldn’t shoot higher than a 6th seed with this roster is because we have to be realistic with how quickly these young guys can develop throughout the season.

One thing that is starting to really intrigue me is Jalen Johnson’s development. He’s a really good young passer who can play the 3 or 4 depending on the matchup. We didn’t have that in Cam, Hunter, or Collins…so that one skill set could make an absolutely huge difference in outcome of games next season if Jalen gets minutes. Jalen should be cutting into minutes at the 3 and 4 next season regardless of a trade for a vet starter or if he starts.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JTB said:

I mean it ain’t no championship roster but it is a pretty deep roster of young talented players. 

Think about it.  IF just one of our young players can turn the corner...  IF JJ with all this extra playing time and responsibility can turn it up to be a 20/8 player...  Do we need a Siakam or KAT?

If AJ can be a 6th man candidate and shoot over 40% from three...

Do we need a third star.

The thing is that these things are doable. 

There's what makes it hard for some... we can see that this is definitely possible.   Our players have that can of potential.  The real question is are you willing to take the gamble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, JTB said:

I’m going to have to say 6th seed is the best and anything higher would be tremendously good.

I say Synder is good enough to keep us out of play in games (in a good way) and actually making the playoffs. The only reason I wouldn’t shoot higher than a 6th seed with this roster is because we have to be realistic with how quickly these young guys can develop throughout the season.

One thing that is starting to really intrigue me is Jalen Johnson’s development. He’s a really good young passer who can play the 3 or 4 depending on the matchup. We didn’t have that in Cam, Hunter, or Collins…so that one skill set could make an absolutely huge difference in outcome of games next season if Jalen gets minutes. Jalen should be cutting into minutes at the 3 and 4 next season regardless of a trade for a vet starter or if he starts.

Ironically the main reason I'm so high on the team even with the roster being as young as it is is because of the chemistry. AJ, JJ and OO really play well together.

You could tell they really like playing with each other and they all really want to win.

Bogi and Bey were great off the bench last year and should only be more aligned.

DejounTrae will be a yr older and grow up to be what we thought they would. Hunter knows Bey/AJ can start over him if he doesn't step up and Bey knows JJ is on his 🫢 and same for Clint and OO.

Healthy competition, chemistry, continuity, comradary, coaching and connectivity go a long way and we have the talent to make it go even further.

Heat had this combination last year and we saw how far they went because of it.

All about the C's, 👀, 🌊  to get us to the ship ⛴️ ask the Nuggets 😂

Edited by sillent
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, sillent said:

AJ, JJ and OO really play well together.

I don't know if we saw this chemistry yet. 

AJ had a hard second half slump.  Some say it's because he cut the hair.   However, the truth is that he's 19 and haven't played this much basketball at this level before. JJ and OO looked good but that was in limited minutes.   My problem is that everyone is so gung ho about making a trade that essentially, it looks like trading just to trade.   We haven't looked at how it will effect the team.  Moreover, we don't really know what we have.  I will say it again..  A Quin led team should be far different than a Nate led team... if not, we fired Nate for nothing. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't know if we saw this chemistry yet. 

AJ had a hard second half slump.  Some say it's because he cut the hair.   However, the truth is that he's 19 and haven't played this much basketball at this level before. JJ and OO looked good but that was in limited minutes.   My problem is that everyone is so gung ho about making a trade that essentially, it looks like trading just to trade.   We haven't looked at how it will effect the team.  Moreover, we don't really know what we have.  I will say it again..  A Quin led team should be far different than a Nate led team... if not, we fired Nate for nothing. 

I saw it. Plus I recorded a lot of games so I'm still watching some of last year's games. I haven't even got to the play in yet but I have been getting thorough observations.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Diesel said:

Think about it.  IF just one of our young players can turn the corner...  IF JJ with all this extra playing time and responsibility can turn it up to be a 20/8 player...  Do we need a Siakam or KAT?

If AJ can be a 6th man candidate and shoot over 40% from three...

Do we need a third star.

The thing is that these things are doable. 

There's what makes it hard for some... we can see that this is definitely possible.   Our players have that can of potential.  The real question is are you willing to take the gamble.

I think it’s doable but how long are we willing to wait?…that’s the question. It’s great we have Trae and Murray locked up long term but how long should we wait for the development of AJ, JJ, OO to hit their starter potential??

I think that’s where the FO is. We could wait sure but there’s no guarantee even though Hawks University has officially returned.

BUT yes these 3 guys have starter potential in them one way or the other. I personally see JJ as the one player who could possibly be a two way star. JJ does a lot of good things on the court. AJ hands down has sixth man potential all over him. The more confident AJ gets the better. OO has star defensive potential in a similar fashion to Marcus Smart in my opinion. All 3 have a ways to go but we did very well drafting these 3 players in my opinion.

but again how long do we wait ???