• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

STAND PAT!!!!!!

Spud2nique

• Premium Member

Spud... I'm almost there.  I have to see what we do Friday.

However, win lose or draw.. 

I honestly want to see some improvement in our SG play.  Weather we decide to make a small trade...

Or maybe Bogi comes back as 2nd half Bogi and plays like he did last year.

I want to see some improvement because everywhere else, I believe we are good 2 deep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

Nothing a little energy and defense can't cure. I can't help but to feel like Cam was indirectly hurting the team chemistry by wanting out....plus off-season and early season injuries has set back the Hawks rhythm. I agree..... Run it back!!;!!!

About Cam.

Whether on purpose or accidental.  I think that On Some occasions if Cam wasn't getting treated like "the man" he phoned it in. 

When Trae went down with COVID Protocol.

We played Orlando, NY, and Chicago Twice.  Cam put fourth great effort... Was a top scorer.

Trae Comes back and we played Cleveland.  Cam gives us Nothing. 

Cam didn't play vs. PTL (the next game). Trae puts up 56.

Trae didn't play against Sacramento (the next game) and Cam had his best game scoring 36.

The Next two games vs. the Lakers and the Clipps.. Trae played and Cam didnt do anything.  Literally 18 minutes of Nothing vs. LAL.

The game after that Cam Sat and then he was traded. 

I think it's been understated about Cam's performance.   I remember after the Sacramento game, some posters were saying that Trae's game effects Cam's play negatively.  And Everybody else's play negatively.  You expect in a loss, there will be blame. 

However, after considering it more and putting it into some type of perspective, I think if Cam wasn't the starring role, he didn't go hard.   Maybe he and Trae had some issue with each other (which may be why he asked for a trade?)  But whatever it is...

Since he's been gone.. Even in the losses, we are playing harder. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t want KAT.

I don’t want Ben.

I don’t want Turner.

WE BUILT THIS THIIINNNNGG!!!! Let’s watch it improve and grow within. It’s a mindset and mentality for us more than player trades. We have the talent. We are just young. (Some pun intended) :spiteful:

I LOVE OUR CORE!!!!!!!

Whose with meeeeee!!!!

image.gif.322f79b1b17f61439b0f037c2dabd3bb.gif

More inclined to believe the better play in the last four games signals to the front office that they should not blow it up but should do deals that make the team better.  I doubt the four games are enough to make Travis and Tony believe this team can contend for anything.  If the mantra was "TURN THE SEASON AROUND" then their recent play likely makes it easier to justify a trade, rather than standing pat.  JMO

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm on the train. Been on the train.

Sheldon-Cooper-Train.gif

Only caveat... and it doesn't involve making a big deal, but it would be a significant one just because you've got to have contingencies...

The GM does need to give the HC a legit replacement for the role that Solo played.

Neither TLC nor Knox is that guy, imo.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t want KAT.

I don’t want Ben.

I don’t want Turner.

WE BUILT THIS THIIINNNNGG!!!! Let’s watch it improve and grow within. It’s a mindset and mentality for us more than player trades. We have the talent. We are just young. (Some pun intended) :spiteful:

I LOVE OUR CORE!!!!!!!

Whose with meeeeee!!!!

image.gif.322f79b1b17f61439b0f037c2dabd3bb.gif

I guess the thing to understand, is that it still took a Hall of Fame version of Trae to pull out a win vs the Timberwolves, who scored 122 points.

Getting Capela back should help.  But it's just illustrates how good we have to be offensively to win games.

But what is our end goal for this season?  To salvage it enough to make the playoffs?  Or to add individuals that could elevate us to NBA Finals contender?

I think we all agree that this team, as is, is NOT a NBA Finals contender.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I guess the thing to understand, is that it still took a Hall of Fame version of Trae to pull out a win vs the Timberwolves, who scored 122 points.

Getting Capela back should help.  But it's just illustrates how good we have to be offensively to win games.

But what is our end goal for this season?  To salvage it enough to make the playoffs?  Or to add individuals that could elevate us to NBA Finals contender?

This is why I'm saying I think the team has shown enough to warrant a trade to get better.  They've shown they can be competitive as is and given confidence that a trade could provide the missing pieces. Had they not played markedly better over the last 4 games, I think Travis would look at it as a lost season and just make trades to gain additional assets for the draft and coming years. 

They are still only 3.5 games out of 8th so they are very much still alive for the play in.  I hope Travis has seen enough to be willing to make a major trade to bring in another star to go along with - I hope - Trae, Dre, and OO.  

• Like 1

I like some of our pieces more after these past two games.  My goal has always been champion.  I'm standing pat on my belief that we do not have a championship roster yet.  Therefore we need to still look at trades that help us move the needle closer to champion.  Our performance the past few games has been encouraging, though.

Simmons makes me nervous.  The price tag is really high, but I can't deny his elite talent.  He might be someone you buy low on, but it's a gamble.  I will support the decision either way our FO decides.  

I am OK with standing pat until we find the right guy.  The league has created a hard market with the play in games.  Everyone believes they have a chance at the playoffs.  I like our future with Trae, but there is caution if we can't put a winning team around him.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

This is where i am.   If we can do a smaller trade then that's fine.  We could use some depth.  

To me it's about whether Bogi is going to get back healthy.  If so then i think we're a good team and we've put ourselves back in the position of being overlooked.  Which is great for us going into the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

I'm just not sold on a Collins for Simmons trade.  Sure we get better on D and passing, but it kills our spacing, team FT% will drop massively and it will be tough to win close games down the stretch.  We will likely have to bench one or both of Capela/Simmons late in games, which to me is just ridiculous to have 50+ million/year sitting on the bench in crunchtime.

I'm also not sure I like Simmons or Hunter playing the 4, which is what happens if Collins is shipped.  Ben and Hunter both lose value on defense when playing the 4 IMO.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Naw, we need a major upgrade at 2 guard.    The two guys we have there now (bogi/Huerter) are terrible defenders and mediocre shooters at best.     Can't have that combination next to Trae.   Either put a lockdown defender there or put a lights out shooter there.    

I also think we overrated Collins significantly.   He can't create his own offense and isn't a good shooter.

I would be shopping a package of Collins/Bogi/1st hard.  Or switch Bogi and Huerter, really doesn't matter since they both suck equally.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

All due respect, my friend...

This team, if/when ever healthy, is an improved version of the team that less than a year ago was an ill-timed referee's foot placement (Trae injury) from being.... not just an NBA Finals contender... but an actual participant instead of the team that won it all.

Moreover, it is improved most-of-all because that team last post-season didn't have Hunter. With Hunter, it's not an overstatement... at all... to suggest we could be the 2020-21 NBA champs.

We are on the cusp of being healthy.

I get why it's so very easy to just write this team off, but that's on the basis of a roster that isn't actually the roster. As recently noted our top 7 players have not even been available at the same time yet this season. And last I looked, the second-most minutes of the 5-man rosters McM has had on the floor included TLC, a player who was preseason expected to be the 14th or 15th man.

Reason says this team... once healthy... is an NBA Finals contender.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

To Piggy Back off of what Sturt is saying... and Keeping up the Hawks hype....

Phoenix is the best team in the league right now... arguably. 

They are not different than us.

The only thing is that they got their shit together. 

I want to see us pretty up our 2 guard also.  I agree that bad defense and mediocre shooting is not it.  BUT...

If Bogi returns to form.... and Kev goes back to the BU position...  We fix the mediocre shooting and that could take us a long way. 

Championship possibly.  Requires a lot of effort.

BUT.. that B to C that was spoken of...

That's Hard as Hell. 

Finding a three and D guy who can handle the Ball that some team is willing to trade is like finding a Chick Fila without a line. 

Some people thought that Cam was the answer.   BUT.. You got to want to be here.  Plus he couldn't really handle the ball.   Travis has picked guys out of Sacramento relentlessly.  Should have gone for Haliburton.   But here we are.

So now, we're just giving in.  We'll take somebody with 2/3s of what we want... if they can shoot and handle the ball, we'll take them.. or if they can handle the ball and play strong defense... we'll take them.   This is where we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

This team, if/when ever healthy, is an improved version of the team that less than a year ago was an ill-timed referee's foot placement (Trae injury) from being.... not just an NBA Finals contender... but an actual participant instead of the team that won it all.

Moreover, it is improved most-of-all because that team last post-season didn't have Hunter. With Hunter, it's not an overstatement... at all... to suggest we could be the 2020-21 NBA champs.

I get why it's so very easy to just write this team off, but that's on the basis of a roster that isn't actually the roster. As recently noted our top 7 players have not even been available at the same time yet this season. And last I looked, the second-most minutes of the 5-man rosters McM has had on the floor included TLC, a player who was preseason expected to be the 14th or 15th man.

I'll just say this.  Championship level teams are normally derailed when their star or all-star player is out, and not by a few role players.

If our group is that fragile, then I don't see how we can be a Finals contender.  Last year's group seemed a lot more mentally tougher for some reason, despite it being virtually the same personnel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Here is the homer test.  If you are saying or believing something that only a handful of Hawk's fans believe, you probably have a homer point of view.  When it takes the MN Timberwolves playing their 5th game in 7 days on the road for you to muster up a 2nd half come back to give you any daylight to even make this claim, you are firmly in homer town.  

We had plenty of chances this season to demonstrate that we have championship pedigree, but we don't have it.  If you believe we do, that's fine, but it's not based on results. No pundits picked us as champions after that ECF appearance either.  

I think you can make the case that we should keep our assets, and not make a move right now because it's better to retain our players than acquire someone available.  There's no credible case that we are on the road to a title with this roster as is.  They at least need to win 65-70% of their games for a month before you can go there.  

• Like 1