• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

13 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Have we already discussed this news around here today and I just missed it? From reddit: 

Offszn development: Capela's "likely incentives" have been moved to "unlikely incentives". This has significant cap implications as Capela's salary (now acting as $18.2m not $19.7) lies directly under the MAXIMUM amount Suns can take back in an Ayton S&T (~$19.2m) due to BYC rules

6yx0jnjp9n691.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=5801b67a60240badef98d6d3aae92e01da9a6031

Massive value, especially for an Ayton SnT. This means Atlanta can do an Ayton deal without other players needed. That said, Atlanta has other cap issues as campster stated. At the end of the day, Atlanta will have to get rid of Bogi or Kevin unless JC is moved which is most ideal as he has the most trade value. 

Edited by NBASupes

44 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Massive value, especially for an Ayton SnT. This means Atlanta can do an Ayton deal without other players needed. That said, Atlanta has other cap issues as campster stated. At the end of the day, Atlanta will have to get rid of Bogi or Kevin unless JC is moved which is most ideal as he has the most trade value. 

To me Atlanta would have had to get rid of Bogi or Gallo eventually anyway.  The Ayton trade really only impacts this year.  If the players on the roster are good, we have bird rights and go above the apron. 

If they are just average, we can move their salary out in consolidation trades. 

Gobert would hamper Atlanta going forward more than Ayton.  That $10,000,000 in extra salary will have a much bigger impact in the next two sesasons.

28 minutes ago, marco102 said:

To me Atlanta would have had to get rid of Bogi or Gallo eventually anyway.  The Ayton trade really only impacts this year.  If the players on the roster are good, we have bird rights and go above the apron. 

If they are just average, we can move their salary out in consolidation trades. 

Gobert would hamper Atlanta going forward more than Ayton.  That $10,000,000 in extra salary will have a much bigger impact in the next two sesasons.

Not really. If his impact isn't it then obviously he would but if he performs the way he always performs, he will be fine

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Not really. If his impact isn't it then obviously he would but if he performs the way he always performs, he will be fine

I'm talking salary cap wise. 

I see what Camp is meaning though. The first year you get Ayton you can't go above the Tax and that does hamper you. 

For some reason, I thought the hard cap was $6 million above the tax apron. I need to read up on this a little more.

34 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm talking salary cap wise. 

I see what Camp is meaning though. The first year you get Ayton you can't go above the Tax and that does hamper you. 

For some reason, I thought the hard cap was $6 million above the tax apron. I need to read up on this a little more.

That hard cap is only there with Ayton because he's a SnT. Otherwise, we can go way over the cap with Gobert.

Its the damn SnT rules. We basically can't go over the LT by 6 million. So while we can do an Ayton deal, we still have to be under the hard cap. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That hard cap is only there with Ayton because he's a SnT. Otherwise, we can go way over the cap with Gobert.

Its the damn SnT rules. We basically can't go over the LT by 6 million. So while we can do an Ayton deal, we still have to be under the hard cap. 

And that could easily explain the JC trade rumors. As in we have a good player on a reasonable deal on a CBA that's going to expire soon but if we have to move him to have cap flexibility then he's going to get moved. 

• Like 1

Sorry OT here but I was thinking how we (the squawk) always compared Trae to Isiah, Nash, Iverson etc. Well I got to thinking 💭 🤔..

IF we add Gobert or Ayton, who would they compare to in the history of the league. 

I think Trae/Gobert to me was first reminiscent of :

1. Iverson/Deke +complementary role players made the finals in 2001.

2. Cousy/Russell (different era but rings and it definitely worked out there).

Trae/ Ayton reminiscent of:

1. Tony Parker/David Robinson (again that worked out but let’s not forget Manu, the 3rd star/glue guy

2. GP/Kemp (yes I know I used this many times for Trae and JC but the same thing would apply, Ayton is that offensive manchild like rain ☔️ was in Seattle.

@NBASupes your thoughts on comparisons and others, please chime in an enlighten me.

Gobert is a lot better offensively than Deke just due to being a superior movement player, PnR finisher, and screener. I do think Deke had a better post game than Gobert and was actually scoring on fellow big men.

Defensively, both players were extremely elite for their eras. At 31, both were still elite defenders. 

I do think Trae has a lot of Iverson scoring in him as well. So I think it would be a superior mix of AI/Deke

Idk about Cousy/Russell. That might be a stretch just due to the extreme gap in eras.

Ayton plays nothing like David Robinson. He looks like him physically but that's about it. He's just not anywhere near as explosive or powerful. 

Patrick Ewing has always been a player that reminded me of Ayton. Ayton doesn't have the rim protection skills or defensive insticts Ewing had but Ayton has superior movement and PnR skills. He's also an elite screener but Ewing could screen as well. Pat is also a better offensive player with the ball. Just more reliable but Ayton just has the movement skills, PnR finishing and the screening which really plays well for PnR PGs like a Stockton or Trae Young. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Patrick Ewing has always been a player that reminded me of Ayton. Ayton doesn't have the rim protection skills or defensive insticts Ewing had but Ayton has superior movement and PnR skills. He's also an elite screener but Ewing could screen as well. Pat is also a better offensive player with the ball. Just more reliable but Ayton just has the movement skills, PnR finishing and the screening which really plays well for PnR PGs like a Stockton or Trae Young. 

Ya I can see Ewing a bit. Ayton has a ton of upside though. I’m not gonna lie I’d be ecstatic with Ayton or Gobert.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Kirschner seemingly is a lurker from time to time... just sayin.)

Lurker? He’s got his raggity old bbq grill in front of our sign 🪧. Let me know when we get the nod to (forcibly) remove him. :gtfo:

Timberwolves interested in Clint Capela?

i_84_bc_11_clint-capela.png?w=190

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

There is zero chance of these two happening. Minnesota and Sacramento have nothing we want for either player that they will be open to trading. 

Sacramento could happen let's say they move down to 6 or 7. But Minnesota, no. 

The Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly seeking frontcourt depth this offseason and have discussed a potential trade for Clint Capela, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Capela has spent the past two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks and signed a two-year, $45.9 millionextension last September that keeps him under contract through 2024-25. The 28-year-old took a step back after signing the deal, averaging 11.1 points, 11.9 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game in 2021-22.

In 2020-21, Capela averaged 15.2 points, 2.0 blocks and an NBA-best 14.3 rebounds per game.