• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Atkinson gets the most love of any coach i've ever seen that has won 1 playoff game in his career.  He may be the next great coach in this league but so far he hasn't done anything of note.   And he isn't exactly fielding tons of offers it doesn't look like.   Took and rejected the worst job in the league.   I don't blame him for that though. 

All the great coaches had only 1 playoff series win at some point.  You have to look at leading metrics instead of trailing ones if you're trying to find the gem in the rough.  I don't know what those are but if we're looking for the true proven guys, that list is short and they're not on the market.  @sturt has beat this drums in another thread, but it's pretty much impossible for fans to know who the up 'n' coming coaching talent is.  I don't even try.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Loss of a 2nd round pick most likely.  If the NBA wants to actually curtail tampering they need to hand down some punitive punishments like loss of a 1st round pick or just outright overturning the deal.  But the reality is it's probably not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.  

What I don't get is why teams do it in these circumstances.  It's obvious Brunson wanted to be on the Knicks and the Knicks wanted him.  Just wait til FA actually starts, negotiate your deal and sign.  There was never any real risk of him bolting for another team.  Why even bother with the pre-FA stuff?  

My guess is that tampering is so common that teams feel they would be at a risk of losing a player because someone else would have already locked them down if they wait until FA actually starts.  So the Knicks are thinking that even if Brunson wants to come there is the risk that the Knicks are a complete  unknown and another team offering a huge deal might get him even if he would otherwise have picked the Knicks simply because the huge $$ deals can go very quickly at the start of FA and no FA wants to lose out on a ton of $$ because they waited to talk to other teams. Thus, they reach out and negotiate with his agent even though it is not allowed (just like traveling isn't allowed and is occasionally even called). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TRW said:

This definitely won't happen but my problem is the audacity of these writers to always try to fleece us in these ridiculous trades. They are like, it's the Hawks, they'll just take anything back in trades. It's laughable. 

Lee Tran from Fadeaway World proposed a blockbuster 4 team trade idea that would send KD to Phoenix, Donovan Mitchell to Brooklyn, Ben Simmons to Atlanta, and Deandre Ayton to Utah.

We Receive: Ben Simmons, 2024 2nd Round pick(Phoenix), 2025 2nd Round pick(Utah).

Phoenix Receives: KD, 2028 1st Round pick swap with Utah(Favoring Utah), 2023 2nd Round pick(Atlanta)

Brooklyn Receives: Donovan Mitchell, John Collins, Mikal Bridges, Deandre Hunter, Onyeka Okongwu, 2025 1st Round pick(Phoenix), 2029 1st Round pick(Phoenix)

Utah Receives: Deandre Ayton, Cam Johnson, Day'Ron Sharpe, 2023 1st Round pick(Phoenix), 2028 First Round pick swap with Phoenix (favoring Utah), 2029 1st Round pick(Atlanta).

So we trade John Collins, Deandre Hunter, Onyeka Okongwu, a 2029 1st Round pick, and a 2023 2nd Round pick for Ben Simmons and two 2nd Round picks. Just ludicrous! I like Ben Simmons but not that much. SMH.

Brooklyn probably trips over themselves rushing to accept that deal. All they give up is KD and Simmons who never played for them and they get a whole new starting 5 plus 1st round picks. 

I don't do that deal as Atlanta, I keep JC and ride with our group. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

All the great coaches had only 1 playoff series win at some point.  You have to look at leading metrics instead of trailing ones if you're trying to find the gem in the rough.  I don't know what those are but if we're looking for the true proven guys, that list is short and they're not on the market.  @sturt has beat this drums in another thread, but it's pretty much impossible for fans to know who the up 'n' coming coaching talent is.  I don't even try.

I agree 100% but tired of Atkinson being touted as some kind of superior coach when his very small coaching record is actually pretty poor.   4 seasons .383 winning pct.  1 trip to the playoffs.  won one game, 0 series.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

He's overrated. He's a good coach like Nate. Just different. He's system based and his teams play unselfish when he doesn't have too many chiefs. Nate is rigid af but Nate always produces. 

"Always produces". what exactly is he producing outside of first round exits???

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have a thread for that :laugh1:.

Lots of these trade ideas ALWAYS have the Hawks giving up too much compared to other teams. Repeat after me:

WE ARE NOT A FARM TEAM FOR THE REST OF THE NBA!!!

That's right!  Orlando holds that crown

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Might want to check the math on that.   Unless I'm crazy he's won one playoff game.  Hasn't come close to winning a series.  Playoff record 1-4.

My b I misintrepted what you were saying. Still before our playoff run nate made it out the first round ONE time in like 16 years. the dude is awful and a bottom 10 coach in this nba. He does nothing well. defensive coach and our defense stunk last year and its all philosophy based.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My b I misintrepted what you were saying. Still before our playoff run nate made it out the first round ONE time in like 16 years. the dude is awful and a bottom 10 coach in this nba. He does nothing well. defensive coach and our defense stunk last year and its all philosophy based.

My issue is you are giving atkinson a BUNCH of credit for barely getting into the playoffs 1 time and then saying Nate sucks because he has so many first round exits.   It doesn't make any sense to me.   You can certainly make the case that a lot of Nate's teams way overachieved in the regular season which is why they had early exits.    I have nothing against Atkinson and I'm not always thrilled with Nate but I'm not crowning Atkinson a genius until we see him have some success. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

He's highly regarded in the NBA. He's also been on some of the best defensive teams. The bad teams you are referring are when those teams were rebuilding. 

Keep in mind he's an assistant coach not the head coach. If he does a poor job then he can be fairly easily replaced.

How often are assistant coaches let go? 

I feel like if our defense is horrendous again, and we flame out this season, new guy will be gone along with the rest of Nates staff

17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

My issue is you are giving atkinson a BUNCH of credit for barely getting into the playoffs 1 time and then saying Nate sucks because he has so many first round exits.   It doesn't make any sense to me.   You can certainly make the case that a lot of Nate's teams way overachieved in the regular season which is why they had early exits.    I have nothing against Atkinson and I'm not always thrilled with Nate but I'm not crowning Atkinson a genius until we see him have some success. 

I mean I am projecting off one guy versus reflecting on the other. Its kinda the position I have to be when one guy has only been a coach for so long and the other has been for a while. There are a ton of nates team that underachieved ( like last years hawks). Similarly we have only seen Kenny's teams overachieve. He projects to be a good coach and I would want to give him the job. Offensive assistant under kerr means something to me and would help unlock trae imo.

Nate is garbage and he should never be a head coach of a team again. The league has moved passed coaches like this. Many in the hawks organization know this too and if it wasnt for a lucky run they would have never signed him. The clock is ticking on nate and if they aren't at least in the second round he will be fired 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Similarly we have only seen Kenny's teams overachieve.

Not to beat a dead horse but I'm not sure why anyone thinks this.  20 wins, 28 wins, 42 wins, 28 wins and fired with 20 games to go.   How is this overachieving?   He had one good season.  

Anyway, I totally see your point.  I actually like Kenny but just saying he gets more credit than he's earned to this point.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I agree 100% but tired of Atkinson being touted as some kind of superior coach when his very small coaching record is actually pretty poor.   4 seasons .383 winning pct.  1 trip to the playoffs.  won one game, 0 series.  

Atkinson enjoys a favored status that is flatly unearned.  It's amazing.

And i got the big joker (Mike Brown) and little joker (Luke Walton) cards ready to play against anyone tryna talk about his GSW year as evidence of anything. 

• Like 3