• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

I’m guessing we sign 2-3 guys to min contracts (or close to it) to round out the roster. 

then around the deadline - we make a trade to skirt in under the LT line. As much talk as there has been about being ok with paying it, I think they want to avoid it 1 more year given the raise Hunter will get after this season. 

Probably 1 or 2 unguaranteed deals like the ones TLC and Solo signed.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Wow, Luka couldn't even recruit his fellow country man to play with him :stirthepot:

Bulls signing another PG? They must really be concerned about Lonzo's knee.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

Part 2 - the last 3 slots.  With the trade of Landale and subbing out Clint's bonuses, we are now at 12 salaries, $148,627,855.

This gives us access to the MLE but if we use more than $6,479,000 of the MLE, we become hard capped if we surpass the apron (which we would).  So here is what is available to us now.

1. $6.479 mil MLE.

2. 2 trade exceptions. 1 expires 7/7 for $1.78 million.  1 expires 1/13 for $1.67 million.

3. Vet minimum contracts.

So why will it take time to fill out the last 3 roster slots?  The MLE can be offered up to 4 years with annual raises.  So negotiating the 1 right vet to take that salary at their preferred number of years is the key. The order those salaries are processed will matter for which rules kick in.  So we're waiting on a few things.  

1. If a trade involving Clint or JC takes place and the resulting salary impact (salary dump would give us the full MLE of $10.49 million to spend).

2. Summer league to see if a non-rostered player shows out.

3. A quality vet to be willing to accept an MLE deal to play here (someone like Robin Lopez).

Didn't we just get close to a $4m trade exception from the Huerter trade?

3 hours ago, sturt said:

Yes, I think so at least. Pretty much. Not a lot of difference. Last five years' numbers for each through age 28 (Harkless' current age)...

2022-07-04_09-27-38.png

Solo signing was always more about the enforcer role, communication on D on a young team, and the locker room presence of massaging egos to keep the peace.

I don't know that Harkless isn't also that, but it has nothing to do with statistical numbers.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

Solo signing was always more about the enforcer role, communication on D on a young team, and the locker room presence of massaging egos to keep the peace.

I can buy that generally, though I choke on the "more about" part.

I think the value to McM was as much about being able to plug Solo into the line-up at three positions at a moment's notice as frequently as needed, and know that he was going to perform adequately... ie, while he wasn't going to win the game, he wasn't going to lose it.

From where I sit... it was all of that, not just part of it.

And yeah, I too don't know Harkless in-and-out, but what I do know of him leads me to that same sense... if not a little better, actually, where the on-court part is concerned.

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

Listen I’m trying to tell folks…Luka must be earning a bad rep among players

It may not be a 'something', but it's not 'nothing'.

Then again, I've said all along DAL is not a free agent draw.  Never has been. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sturt said:

Substance, great. That's why we're here.

(Forgive me, too, that I had it in the back of my mind that you were one of the couple or three taking shots at word count a week or two ago... a kind of ad hominem. Not worth my time to go back and research, and so I take it that I must have attributed that erroneously.)

Um, what??? Well, not "several" by the definition of most, but JC was in his 4th year with the team, Trae and KVon their 3rd, Hunter and Reddish their 2nd.... and that, along with rookie Big2O, was considered the young core who was gaining familiarity and chemistry with every month they continued together. Sure, the young core wasn't enough on its own, but it indisputably was a core. And if I didn't say it that way before, I misspoke. That was the thrust of my thought, and then, when you just stack season upon season, you just exponentially increase the positives of that group's familiarity with each other.

My own perspective is that substance is usually accomplished with fewer words.  I did mention your word count, but it wasn't motivated by trying to take a shot at you.  It was more of a conversation about the value of long form vs short form communication.  

Earlier you stated our winning came from a young core that had developed chemistry for several seasons.  I still don't think that is true.  We started winning when Bogi and Capela were in peak form, and when other vets were playing.  That is what brought us out of losing and mediocrity, not a "special core of young players that learned how to win together."  Look at our record with Cam and Dre, hint bad.  We won when they stopped playing due to injury, and Solo and Snell took their minutes.  Okongwu started getting minutes, but he was mostly fouling dudes in his debut months. Winning has been more closely associated with the health of Bogi and Capela than anything related to Cam, Dre, or Okongwu.  

We need to continue to bring in proven NBA talent, and yes we hope some of the younger guys develop like Okongwu, JJ, and Griffin.  Even Hunter has a ways to go.  We're gonna win next year based mostly off how Capela and Murray play, though.   

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

A 28-30 year old Sap would be great at PF instead of Collins.

I think Murray and Sap would work well together.

How?  The thing that i noticed about Sap is that he could not buy an easy shot..Now that crazy pump fake, twisting off balance stuff he would shoot would go in at a much higher rate than a catch and shoot 3's or even a mid rangers

32 minutes ago, phoostal said:

Supposedly he is a defensive expert

He's been a defensive coordinator under some championship winning teams (Celtics and Cavs) Thats a solid hire imo.

Prunty on the other hand…...................

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How?  The thing that i noticed about Sap is that he could not buy an easy shot..Now that crazy pump fake, twisting off balance stuff he would shoot would go in at a much higher rate than a catch and shoot 3's or even a mid rangers

I think he struggled with the pressure of being the leading scorer. He never seemed fully comfortable with that role... He would also have two guys to create shots for him.

An would do well here now also. Trae would really thrive with Al and Cap up front.