• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Dejounte Murray (Woj)

NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They did take on Salary.   If the reports are true Gallo's guarantee went from $5 mil to about $12 million, so SAS saved $million in salary on Murray's contract.

Well that's true but they don't care about that salary.  It's gone.  They don't need the space this year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Nah, go to the Spurs forum and read opinions. They aren't happy.

Initially it seemed tepid but I’ll check it out.  I’ve heard whispers from Spurs fans questioning his offensive impact but the fact they won one more game than the previous season without any semblance of replacement for Derozan shows a monumental assumption of workload that he assumed and succeeded at.  

It’s rare to see literally ALL of a player’s raw stats improve in one season (assist to turn spiking the most to God tier 3.53:1).  The change in talent level from the Spurs to the Hawks is gonna make his head spin.  His Win Share profile is still a little below where I’d prefer (below Poetl’s) but with more wide open threes and doing whatever Trae does with FT practice he’ll give his per 48 a nice .015- .020 boost.

Funny Hawks connections, his career comparisons include the Great Eldridge Recasnner and Always Ready Mo Evans around 86% similarity.  The one I like is Billups at 90%.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I love the trade for the Hawks but how can you give a rebuilding and tanking team a D- when they just acquired 3 first round picks, 2 unprotected and took on no salary?    Spurs get at least a B also.  

They don't believe the picks will be that good, but as we know, picks are currency.

• Like 1

I haven't been as in tune with the league the last few years... Is Murray a good player coming off of great year or more of a great player coming off a breakout year?

Can he keep similar production to what he produced last year? 

I would that there are enough options in the team that dip should probably be expected.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

If I had to predict, it would be something like 32 mpg, 17 ppg, .550% TS%, 6 apg, 7 rpg, 1.7 spg.  The value isn't driven by scoring.

When you compare his rebounds and assists in particular to what we got from Huerter and Bogi combined - we should be better in those areas.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think there are definitive answers to this.  He is a great defender, rebounder and distributor for a SG.  His rebounding was consistent last year with years of prior performance on a per minute basis.  His assist number skyrocketed last year on every basis due to him playing more of the central playmaker role.  So don't expect him to repeat the assist numbers but his playmaking skills have been there and he should be able to be a big contributor there.  Defense has been consistent throughout his time in the league.

So I'd expect him to:

• Maintain his elite rebounding
  • Maintain his excellent defense
  • Drop dramatically in apg but probably still give ~6 ap36 which would be huge 
  • Drop in ppg but increase in TS% due to him getting better looks with the attention Trae draws and the better surrounding talent (as compared to last year's Spurs)

If I had to predict, it would be something like 32 mpg, 17 ppg, .550% TS%, 6 apg, 7 rpg, 1.7 spg.  The value isn't driven by scoring.

Seems reasonable.

From a rebounding and passing perspective it makes Bogi, Hunter and Huerter acceptable if none of them are leaving. They can all three pretty much focus on shooting at this point.

• Premium Member
Just now, Plainview1981 said:

Seems reasonable.

From a rebounding and passing perspective it makes Bogi, Hunter and Huerter acceptable if none of them are leaving. They can all three pretty much focus on shooting AND DEFENDING ESPECIALLY HUNTER at this point.

Added the above in red.

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Initially it seemed tepid but I’ll check it out.  I’ve heard whispers from Spurs fans questioning his offensive impact but the fact they won one more game than the previous season without any semblance of replacement for Derozan shows a monumental assumption of workload that he assumed and succeeded at.  

It’s rare to see literally ALL of a player’s raw stats improve in one season (assist to turn spiking the most to God tier 3.53:1).  The change in talent level from the Spurs to the Hawks is gonna make his head spin.  His Win Share profile is still a little below where I’d prefer (below Poetl’s) but with more wide open threes and doing whatever Trae does with FT practice he’ll give his per 48 a nice .015- .020 boost.

Funny Hawks connections, his career comparisons include the Great Eldridge Recasnner and Always Ready Mo Evans around 86% similarity.  The one I like is Billups at 90%.

Considering he is still young and missed time due to an ACL injury it is not surprising that his stats took off once he was healthy and more experienced.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Considering he is still young and missed time due to an ACL injury it is not surprising that his stats took off once he was healthy and more experienced.

Most of the improvement could be volume related rather than in underlying skills.  His per minute stats are pretty similar except in points per 36 (where that appears to be a function of more FGA more than effectiveness on those attempts with ~4 more points per 36 on 2.5 more attempts) and assists per 36 (where that appears to be driven by his being the primarily ballhandler as reflected in the big jump in his usage rate).  The jumps in most of the rest of the per game numbers looks to be primarily driven by more minutes per game (3 more minutes or a ~10% increase from prior year).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

I haven't been as in tune with the league the last few years... Is Murray a good player coming off of great year or more of a great player coming off a breakout year?

Can he keep similar production to what he produced last year? 

I would that there are enough options in the team that dip should probably be expected.

Tough to say what will happen, but Murray has improved leaps and bounds every single year he's been in the league and was amazing last year, one of my favorite players to watch. It's entirely possible we haven't seen his ceiling just yet. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Very possible.  Hoping for a Joe Johnson scenario.

will be interesting to see if he can improve his 3pt shooting now that he will have more open looks. If he can become a consistent +36% from three guy that would go a long way in making him fit in with Trae. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

will be interesting to see if he can improve his 3pt shooting now that he will have more open looks. If he can become a consistent +36% from three guy that would go a long way in making him fit in with Trae. 

I'm looking for improvement in all his shooting numbers other than ft%.  Should be better looks from everywhere since he won't have to force as much and defenses won't be able to key on him in the same way they did last season.

• Like 4