• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Post-Moratorium Insider Rumor Thread

AHF

• Premium Member

Suns want player who they can plug into rotation, not future assets, in Jae Crowder trade

Complicating Phoenix’s efforts to trade the disgruntled Jae Crowder: League sources say they want a player in return who can plug into their rotation as opposed to merely settling for future assets. The Suns have certainly not looked as deep in the preseason as they did during their 2021 NBA Finals peak.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Of the teams that have been rumored to covet Crowder, there's one that sticks out... and that's Utah... the only one of the bunch that isn't regarded as having playoff aspirations.

What are they doing in this mix, then?

Possibly b/c PHX has targeted any of several assets on that roster, and are really just looking for a third trade partner that would be more interested in Crowder than UTA would be.

Saw it reported somewhere that Vanderbilt in particular had been a PHX target, and even that Crowder had been part of those discussions.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3308345/phoenix-suns-wanted-vanderbilt-in-potential-bojan-bogdanovic-deal-with-jazz/

So, the theory here is that PHX is just looking for some 3rd team to help facilitate that swap. Utah has no reason to want Crowder. And the salaries don't match up sufficiently. So, the issue in that case would be draft compensation... and it's not hard to imagine Ainge driving a hard bargain, seeing a near-future 1st from ATL, while Schleilds resists that and proposes something more like two 2nds toward the end of the decade.

Crowder ($10,183,00) to ATL

Vanderbilt ($4,374,000) + Justin Holiday ($6,292,440) to PHX

Draft compensation from ATL to UTA

This screws with the idea that ATL won't crest the tax line for a player who isn't a difference maker.

But then again, it's a player that almost certainly would figure heavily in the rotation.

Also screws with the idea that ATL is ready to give Jalen Johnson a legitimate chance to achieve rotation minutes status.

But then again, it's always been plausible that they would try JJ as a wing who plays some PF instead of the other way around... second unit exchanges Justin Holiday for JJ in that case.

Unless I've misunderstood... (and it's just too close to bedtime for me to care enough to go look it up...) it also puts us in a position of being hardcapped for the rest of the season.

It's that last point that makes me feel like our FO wouldn't be up for the trade as presented.

And I'm back to where I began the day... Rudy Gay for Justin Holiday... and having the luxury as a result of being able then to add a 2yr+ vet on a minimum contract.

5 hours ago, sturt said:

Of the teams that have been rumored to covet Crowder, there's one that sticks out... and that's Utah... the only one of the bunch that isn't regarded as having playoff aspirations.

What are they doing in this mix, then?

Possibly b/c PHX has targeted any of several assets on that roster, and are really just looking for a third trade partner that would be more interested in Crowder than UTA would be.

Saw it reported somewhere that Vanderbilt in particular had been a PHX target, and even that Crowder had been part of those discussions.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3308345/phoenix-suns-wanted-vanderbilt-in-potential-bojan-bogdanovic-deal-with-jazz/

So, the theory here is that PHX is just looking for some 3rd team to help facilitate that swap. Utah has no reason to want Crowder. And the salaries don't match up sufficiently. So, the issue in that case would be draft compensation... and it's not hard to imagine Ainge driving a hard bargain, seeing a near-future 1st from ATL, while Schleilds resists that and proposes something more like two 2nds toward the end of the decade.

Crowder ($10,183,00) to ATL

Vanderbilt ($4,374,000) + Justin Holiday ($6,292,440) to PHX

Draft compensation from ATL to UTA

This screws with the idea that ATL won't crest the tax line for a player who isn't a difference maker.

But then again, it's a player that almost certainly would figure heavily in the rotation.

Also screws with the idea that ATL is ready to give Jalen Johnson a legitimate chance to achieve rotation minutes status.

But then again, it's always been plausible that they would try JJ as a wing who plays some PF instead of the other way around... second unit exchanges Justin Holiday for JJ in that case.

Unless I've misunderstood... (and it's just too close to bedtime for me to care enough to go look it up...) it also puts us in a position of being hardcapped for the rest of the season.

It's that last point that makes me feel like our FO wouldn't be up for the trade as presented.

And I'm back to where I began the day... Rudy Gay for Justin Holiday... and having the luxury as a result of being able then to add a 2yr+ vet on a minimum contract.

This makes a lot of sense. Trading JJ or any prospect doesn't. Jae isn't worth a 1st or a JJ. He is worth Justin Holiday and a couple of 2nds to Utah and Vanderbilt to PHX.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sturt said:

So I don't want any gag reflex at the moment, so I just have to ask you RealGM lurkers...

Seeing any PHX fans coming up with something you'd consider?

RealGM possibly has the worst trade ideas on the planet. It never ceases to amaze me how bad and lopsided those posters come up with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't know who this guy is, but:

He's a suns guy.  Ive seen him described as a bit of a hack and a homer, so tifwiw.

His tweet ain't wrong, imho, but it shows why I think the "report" of our interest is targeted intel. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

image.gif.c06203a424966b2b32813a6fc7eb3410.gif

Top 20 scene from The Office, for sure.

And yet... still goes to the point here... Old Man Mifflin was the sane person in that scene, Michael was Michael.... sturt the sane person in this thread, Spud is Spud. 😄

• Haha 1