• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Welcome to Atlanta, Mouhamed Gueye

NBASupes

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Love that Landry and Kyle are working together and being decisive in their decisions

Taking him at #15 would've been a Spurs'y move, glad we got Kobe and Mo in the 2nd round.

SL boutta be lit 🔥 Might get some tickets... getting hype

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Could he be the one?  We've been saving up all of our 2nd round pick karma just for this guy to be a star.

I can see why they wanted him at 15. His offensive ceiling is elite. I can see why he went in the 2nd. His defense floor is rock bottom and things that teams want from 4s is defense. 

• Like 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

I can see why they wanted him at 15. His offensive ceiling is elite. I can see why he went in the 2nd. His defense floor is rock bottom and things that teams want from 4s is defense. 

You ready playboy? Here we go! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, akay said:

Love that Landry and Kyle are working together and being decisive in their decisions

Taking him at #15 would've been a Spurs'y move, glad we got Kobe and Mo in the 2nd round.

SL boutta be lit 🔥 Might get some tickets... getting hype

I think they didn't expect Kobe to be there at 15. I didn't think he would be there either.

• Like 2

I'm telling everyone, I wanted that center from Duke.  Hawks didn't get him.  Instead, they got the consolation pick when they drafted Mohammed Gueye.  Almost took him at 15.  Then, traded up to get him when they found him still available.  Supes says he's a good offensive player who didn't play defense.  The best thing is, he can learn to play defense.  If you can't shoot, you can't shoot.  Not a problem.  He can!

Waiting for Summer League, then Pre-season.  Squawk posters want to see our three draft picks in action!

🥰

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I have a feeling MoGee will get an NBA deal - one of the new 2nd Round Exception contracts instead of a 2Way. That way he gets a 4yr deal.

He'll still spend ample time playing in the GLEAGUE.

New CBA To Include Cap Exception For Second-Round Picks

April 2nd, 2023 at 2:58pm CST • By Luke Adams

The NBA’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement will introduce a new cap exception for second-round draft picks, reports Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link).

Under the current system, teams sign their first-round picks to four-year contracts using the “rookie scale exception,” with the compensation amounts dependent on the player’s exact draft position. But if a team wants to sign its second-round pick for more than the rookie minimum or for more than two seasons, it must use cap room or an exception such as the mid-level.

While we don’t yet know exactly what the second-round pick exception will look like, Charania suggests that teams will no longer have to use their mid-level exceptions when they sign their second-rounders to their first NBA contracts, so the new exception should allow for deals up to three or four years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have a feeling MoGee will get an NBA deal - one of the new 2nd Round Exception contracts in stead of a 2Way. That way he gets a 4yr deal.

He'll still spend ample time playing in the GLEAGUE.

I hope so. With his upside, I'll rather a long term deal. 

From Wazzu writer:

Mouhamed Gueye

Gueye went to the Atlanta Hawks at pick 39, and the Hawks seem like they are leaning toward giving him a real NBA contract rather than a two-way. The difference between getting a legitimate second-round contract (generally a four-year contract for around $6 Million, where the fourth season is a team option) versus a two-way is huge for a second-round pick. If Gueye does secure that four-year deal, he will be a much bigger part of the Hawks future, with a likelihood of playing legitimate NBA minutes over the course of that contract.

The Hawks’ roster could see a lot of tumultuous changes over the next couple of days, but as of now, it is built for Gueye to have a lot of success. Gueye will probably spend the beginning of his rookie season playing with the G-League team (College Park Skyhawks) but when he gets time with the main roster, he’ll have an opportunity to prove himself in a limited role. His untapped upside is certainly as a roll-man, as WSU lacked the guard-play to utilize him in that way, but the Hawks have arguably the best pick-and-roll PG in the NBA, and opportunities for Gueye to be used there.

Many expect the Hawks to move on from big-man Clint Capela in a trade in order to give more minutes to former lottery pick Onyeka Okongwu, and that could free up even more minutes for him as a center. If that happens, Gueye could fight for a real rotation role early.

Gueye’s NBA translation is a difficult one. While he is almost certainly a big-man offensively, with his best skills being his quick-leaping and ability to beat slow-footed big-men off the bounce, but he is more of a power forward defensively because he struggles to protect the rim consistently. This dichotomy makes him a bit of a tough fit in the NBA, but he could be some utility there as a versatile roll-man and a pure switch-5 on backup units. He would have to develop a lot to get to starter level, but there is some upside if the defensive instincts can improve

https://www.cougcenter.com/2023/6/29/23779187/nba-draft-2023-breakdown-washington-state-cougars-mouhamed-gueye-powell-abogidi

• Thanks 2

My personal opinion:  I'm really excited to see what Gueye can bring to the NBA.

Not having years of experience of playing basketball is a plus.  He knows that he don't know everything, therefore he's going to be very open to coaching.

He has the size that the Hawks have needed, all except the weight, which he will grow into.  He has the frame to easily add muscle weight and not fat.

Before basketball he played a lot of soccer and this gave him some great foot work which is unusual in a player this tall.  This is a tremendious asset for him and something that should excite all Hawk fans.

If Atlanta seriously considered taking him with their #15 pick, then we know how highly the orginization thinks of him.  This is a big plus in my way of thinking.  They traded up to nab him.  I believe they stole him!

Depending on what happens between now and our season opener, the G League seems to be his destiny early in the season, but I look for him to be called up for a look-see before mid season.  If the Hawks move more players before the season begins, Gueye could be a part of the Hawks roster.  Watch him in the Summer League and pre-season to see if there is any way that he might be ready.  We know that he can do a lot of different NBA things.

:smug:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

From Wazzu writer:

Mouhamed Gueye

Gueye went to the Atlanta Hawks at pick 39, and the Hawks seem like they are leaning toward giving him a real NBA contract rather than a two-way. The difference between getting a legitimate second-round contract (generally a four-year contract for around $6 Million, where the fourth season is a team option) versus a two-way is huge for a second-round pick. If Gueye does secure that four-year deal, he will be a much bigger part of the Hawks future, with a likelihood of playing legitimate NBA minutes over the course of that contract.

The Hawks’ roster could see a lot of tumultuous changes over the next couple of days, but as of now, it is built for Gueye to have a lot of success. Gueye will probably spend the beginning of his rookie season playing with the G-League team (College Park Skyhawks) but when he gets time with the main roster, he’ll have an opportunity to prove himself in a limited role. His untapped upside is certainly as a roll-man, as WSU lacked the guard-play to utilize him in that way, but the Hawks have arguably the best pick-and-roll PG in the NBA, and opportunities for Gueye to be used there.

Many expect the Hawks to move on from big-man Clint Capela in a trade in order to give more minutes to former lottery pick Onyeka Okongwu, and that could free up even more minutes for him as a center. If that happens, Gueye could fight for a real rotation role early.

Gueye’s NBA translation is a difficult one. While he is almost certainly a big-man offensively, with his best skills being his quick-leaping and ability to beat slow-footed big-men off the bounce, but he is more of a power forward defensively because he struggles to protect the rim consistently. This dichotomy makes him a bit of a tough fit in the NBA, but he could be some utility there as a versatile roll-man and a pure switch-5 on backup units. He would have to develop a lot to get to starter level, but there is some upside if the defensive instincts can improve

https://www.cougcenter.com/2023/6/29/23779187/nba-draft-2023-breakdown-washington-state-cougars-mouhamed-gueye-powell-abogidi

Develop him for the next 18/24 months and he and OO could potentially be a beautiful pairing together, switching between 4/5 on O & D like I think JJ & Bey could work together between 3/4. 
Young, multi positional players that can create havoc switching on the court and provide depth on the bench. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Develop him for the next 18/24 months and he and OO could potentially be a beautiful pairing together, switching between 4/5 on O & D like I think JJ & Bey could work together between 3/4. 
Young, multi positional players that can create havoc switching on the court and provide depth on the bench. 

Gueye has extremely limited potential at the 5. As much as I think OO best long term position is the 4, he's a flat out 5 anytime he's with Mouhamed. JJ got more upside as a 5 than Gueye. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/30/2023 at 6:26 PM, Gray Mule said:

I'm telling everyone, I wanted that center from Duke.  Hawks didn't get him.  Instead, they got the consolation pick when they drafted Mohammed Gueye.  Almost took him at 15.  Then, traded up to get him when they found him still available.  Supes says he's a good offensive player who didn't play defense.  The best thing is, he can learn to play defense.  If you can't shoot, you can't shoot.  Not a problem.  He can!

Waiting for Summer League, then Pre-season.  Squawk posters want to see our three draft picks in action!

🥰

I think his defensive upside is tremendous. He has great feet and a long wing span. Good lateral quickness and he has hops. He projects more as a power forward who will defend stretch 4s, has switching ability and will be a good help defender on the weak side of the defense. 

• Thanks 1