• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pistons -- IST Group Play Game 1

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Building around prolific assisting guards usually isn’t a championship-style operation.  With this dude I have to make an exception.

It can’t possibly happen in Indy with that payroll but whoever trades for or signs him at the end of his current deal better be looking for their final piece because he’s it.  A little improvement on the glass so he can grab-and-go and defensive effort and he’s virtually without weakness.

Just realized he’s cousins with Eddie Jones.  Makes sense, loved that dude.

um...what? Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson? Jason Kidd? John Stockton? Kevin Johnson? Chris Paul?

Not all of these guys won titles but they definitely had championship level teams under their belts. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

um...what? Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson? Jason Kidd? John Stockton? Kevin Johnson? Chris Paul?

Not all of these guys won titles but they definitely had championship level teams under their belts. 

You right I should’ve said unequivocally “win the ship.”  Kidd, Stock, and CP3 (finally in his proper second-unit role 10 years too late) are all some of my favs.  But there’s a reason it hasn’t been done since Isiah 33 years ago.

Edited by benhillboy

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

Right now they are very young.   I watched CC and IS shoot them out of the game on some dumb shots.   CC is still 6'6" and can handle the ball and is a PG, he just needs to be coached.  I understand that he has been injured and all but if I were he, I would try to spend the summer with somebody like Penny Hardaway or Jalen Rose.   He has to learn how to be a leader and a big PG.   Monty is going to make him think the game.   

I think they probably want one more spin at the Draft lottery. 

I can see them trying to move a Draft pick and a young player for a better young player. 

I can easily see:   Jaden Ivey and their first to Houston for Amen Thompson and their first. 

Monty will make Cade and those twins into Must See TV. 

They just have some maturing to do. 

He looks like a Ben Simmons point guard.  Meaning, instead of point guard, he should use the pg-like skills he has .... at another position.

He lacks the burst to get by guys and lacks the athleticism to overcome it.  On top of that, it seems he lacks the leadership qualities a lead guard needs.

And I don't think they didn't hired the great(sic) Monty to tank again.  DET should be better.  Not good, but better.

And I'm officially in love with that Ausar guy.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

DJM has been that guy all season for us.  Totally en fuego.  

Doesn't feel like we have been getting the transition baskets like we did during the four game win streak.  Something feels different in the past few games.  

3 things: defense, pace and turnovers.

Better defense leads to transition baskets. Also the pace, are we walking the ball up the court or forcing the issue to score earlier in the shot clock before the defense gets set. If we turn the ball over there no chance to try and score. Orlando had quick hands, heat are the cHeat.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AHF said:

Last time he had 5 assists was in the 2020-21 season (which was his only 5+ assist game that season).  Very nice to see him moving the ball like that!

So you’re just not getting on board with the Hunter bashing are you? My fair AHF, good stuff! I may continue to bash a bit..

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

So you’re just not getting on board with the Hunter bashing are you? My fair AHF, good stuff! I may continue to bash a bit..

This was a solid game for him.  5 assists is exceptional; 5 rebounds and a steal should be normal; the scoring should be normal.  Especially given how the prior 4 games went, I'm good with this one.

When I praise or criticize for more than an in the moment reaction, it will be further into the season when he's had more time under Quin and a larger body of work.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I think I'm finally there, specifically that I do not think Hunter is a championship piece.  you need starters with complete buy-in to their role AND they need to have the championship intangibles.  I haven't seen it from Hunter, even though I do think he's a valuable piece in the sense he's a big wing that is hard to find.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

Very few guys have had a five year run on Trae's level.  The guys with comparable numbers have either won titles or challenged for titles.  Losing to Jordan, Lebron, Curry, or the Spurs, but presenting some of their toughest challenges.   

The other option is moving away from Trae in hopes of landing the next Jokic or Giannis.  Not ready for that yet.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Didn't know JJ had this kind of shot in his bag.

Not sure I want him taking it with 19 seconds on the clock in such a close game though. Run the clock son :laugh1:

It was good to get the win.  Make or miss, that was a terrible shot.  Hopefully Quin let him know he's got to recognize time and score in those situations.

• Like 4