• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Raptors

lethalweapon3

8 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I remember when I was a young whippersnapper on the Squawk trying to tell people to stay positive....once you hit about 100 posts you'll realize it's useless and better to just ignore it.

I don't mind criticizing as long as it's productive and in the best interests of the team.  Rather than just saying blanket statements like...

I try so hard to ignore it, but I can't understand why these people want to just post crap like ⬇️

1 minute ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

There is no point in truly believing in something that is sure to fail.

Why are you here if you feel that way?

32 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I remember when I was a young whippersnapper on the Squawk trying to tell people to stay positive....once you hit about 100 posts you'll realize it's useless and better to just ignore it.

I don't mind criticizing as long as it's productive and in the best interests of the team.  Rather than just saying blanket statements like...

Did u try to tell hotlanta to stay positive when u were still new in hawksquawk? lol

I really think Hotlanta just enjoy posting negative comments/start arguments here in the forum and chat..  

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

I try so hard to ignore it, but I can't understand why these people want to just post crap like ⬇️

Why are you here if you feel that way?

How am I supposed to believe the hawks can make a legit playoff push when there is no reason to believe they will?

We've seen this movie over and over again. 

“A lot of credit to Toronto for how well they played. Their effort and activity defensively probably set the tone. Offensively, they executed, made some shots. We have to be better against a team like this. I think, hopefully, it’s a lesson for us. The way the group in the competed in that fourth quarter, they came in, that’s encouraging to see the fight. One or two shots, we could have cut it to six. Overall, a lot of credit to Toronto tonight.” – Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer’s opening statement

Just how stupid are you coach Bud?You be beaten the same way over and over again and you change nothing and now you say that you're trying to learn a lesson? Just how many times do you have to lose before you make some sort of adjustment? 

He can start by pulling Kyle Korver out of the starting line up. The guy can't hack it anymore. Let him go!

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, High5 said:

I never thought I'd see the day that the Raptors would own us so badly. We aren't even a threat to them.

And won't be until Kyle Korver and Kent Bazemore get removed from the starting lineup. But that's only a quick fix.

And the Heat match Atlanta by taking a horrible loss to the Lakers.

Honestly you can probably just cancel the eastern conference playoffs. The ECF will inevitably be Toronto vs Cleveland as everyone else is a circus, and heck Cleveland is a clown show right now themselves. The games will be fun but they mean absolutely jack s***.

Just now, Lurker said:

And the Heat match Atlanta by taking a horrible loss to the Lakers.

Honestly you can probably just cancel the eastern conference playoffs. The ECF will inevitably be Toronto vs Cleveland as everyone else is a circus, and heck Cleveland is a clown show right now themselves. The games will be fun but they mean absolutely jack s***.

Yeah, it should be Golden State vs. SA and Cleveland vs. Toronto and be done with it. 

The rest of these teams are worthless.

I'm gonna start waiting for the NBATV delay on Hawks games to hear competent commentary.  I'm near my breaking point with Nique.  He's actually getting worse.  He makes wins less enjoyable, losses unbearable.

Can there be one three taken early in the clock by the opposition without being a "terrible shot?"  Just one?  How do you justify complete  silence when Baze dribbles off his foot or Al shoots an air ball immediately after?  The unprofessionalism is mindboggling and embarrassing for me that opposing fans have to endure him. The junior high vocabulary and total disregard for research and information is bad enough.  

I got more listening to the Toronto crew for 5 minutes than Nique for 48.  Do you think for a million years Nique would be honest or objective enough to say the Hawks have overachieved thus far like Jack Armstrong said of the Raptors?  You think Nique noticed Thabo wears running shoes or that Bud called the first timeouts at the start of the first two quarters and what that means?  Uhhhh, No.  His calls are basically a cycle of "heat check!", "the Hawks need to drive the ball", and "that team is awful."    Brilliant.

I'm so sick and tired of noticing his ineptitude whenever he parts his lips, I just wanna watch the damn games.  I don't need Hubie calling every game, damn sure don't want Bun-Eating Brown.  I'm actually looking forward to Jon f$&kin Barry calling our playoff matinees.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Free throws all went their way until it became a joke.  Apparently, they played perfect defense and the Hawks made fouls with their defense.

Even our oldest member can clearly see that the Hawks were clearly just not getting calls. Refs have some kind of man love with Toronto similar to when we played the pacers the first time around in the playoffs some years back when George suddenly started getting a ton of calls and heading to the free throw line every time down the court (this was all before he was officially a star player).

The NBA is telling us that Lowry and Derozan are stars and the Hawks still don't have one therefore we aren't going to get to the line. 

I REFUSE to be upset with the Hawks over this loss and I completely disagree that Toronto was just the hotter team when it's clear the refs bailed them out the first 3 quarters until they started making shots. 

Even when we have a better overall team we can't get any respect and that's what it boils down to. You can replace Bazemore with Batum or Korver with Ben Mclemore, start Dennis over Teague if your more of a Dennis fan ....IT DONT MATTER UNTIL THIS TEAM GET A STAR PLAYER....doesn't matter how well balanced your team is even if you have top 10-15 players at every position. If we can't get that star name the refs will never respect us and we will continue seeing unfair games like this one.

TORONTO DONT HAVE OUR NUMBER ITS CALLED B.S. REFS BAILING THEM OUT.

• Like 2

The refs were bad but the Hawks still lost this game. Shots just didn't seem to drop for large stretches, there were careless turnovers, and missed defensive assignments. Poor effort from most of our starters. Ball movement seemed decent, but didn't matter much since we weren't making our shots. Only other positive thing I can take from this game is that our seconf/third stringers gave the Raps a slight scare. Say what you want about the regular season not mattering, but what I saw doesn't make me optimistic about our chances against them in the playoffs. And yes, @benhillboy , I also need a break from Nique.  I've started watching long stretches of the game on mute because of him. I understand he was great for the franchise and all, but he is tough to listen to for a whole season. It's like having a girlfriend that all your friends like but she isn't all that smart, says the same things over and over, and really doesn't bring much else to the table. Kind of wears on you after awhile. The relationship is doomed to fail. (Yes I speak from experience...with @kg01 's mom.)

• Like 3

This game was a example of WHY ive been yawning at the Hawks during their current winning streaks.  Playoff basketball isnt regular season basketball. Here is why:

1. You win by the jumpshot, you gonna lose by the  jumpshot. In the playoffs,  when teams extend their defense ( like Toronto did last night), the Hawks are disrupted if the cutters cant receive passes in the paint. This makes them rely on the jumper. If the jumper isnt falling, they get into trouble on offense.

2. Dennis. As good as he is, if he doesnt develop a consistent jumper, the Hawks will not win with him in a playoff series. 

3. The refs. Get over it. Until Atlanta goes out of its way and signs a superstar, the Hawks are already behind 6 points in every playoff game.

4. Stop whining about Dominique. Its not his fault the Hawks couldnt hit jumpers last night. Yeah, his repeated commentary isnt good, but at least he analyzed a few plays last night, which is all i want from him.

And another thing about this whining about Nique is a homer in his commentary. I saw some game local Boston games back in the day. Nique would just DEMOLISH the Celtics, and the local announcing crew wouldnt say a thing. Nique would FUNK DUNK on Bird, and they wouldnt say a peep, but let Bird come back the other way and hit a 5 foot set shot, and the local crew would fall out their chairs screaming " BIRD! BIRD! BIRD!"     lmao

If anything Nique is paying them all back:

tsPQCDc.gif

D3y9_O.gif

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

This game was a example of WHY ive been yawning at the Hawks during their current winning streaks.  Playoff basketball isnt regular season basketball. Here is why:

1. You win by the jumpshot, you gonna lose by the  jumpshot. In the playoffs,  when teams extend their defense ( like Toronto did last night), the Hawks are disrupted if the cutters cant receive passes in the paint. This makes them rely on the jumper. If the jumper isnt falling, they get into trouble on offense.

This is the weird fact the message board members don't comprehend...The Hawks aren't a good Jump shooting team so why do fans expect outside shots to fall for this team routinely....The thing to recognize as a coach is who is hot on any given night and who isn't...Clearly Bud struggles with that simple concept.  He would prefer to stick to his regular substitution patterns whether it is working or not.  I don't know of any other coach in the league that coaches that way.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

And another thing about this whining about Nique is a homer in his commentary. I saw some game local Boston games back in the day. Nique would just DEMOLISH the Celtics, and the local announcing crew wouldnt say a thing. Nique would FUNK DUNK on Bird, and they wouldnt say a peep, but let Bird come back the other way and hit a 5 foot set shot, and the local crew would fall out their chairs screaming " BIRD! BIRD! BIRD!"     lmao

If anything Nique is paying them all back:

Boston announcers have been an embarrassment to basketball for decades.  They are terrible now and were shamelessly homering it up back then too.  Boston fans must like it.  I hate listening to it.  I don't mind at all someone wearing their love for their team as a badge of pride but give me actual analysis, insight and color that actually reflects the game.  

• Like 3

The Raptors do not want us in the playoffs. We would prolly beat them 4-1 if not sweep them. Playing possum in the regular season and not showing a team that you might face in round 2 is genius. Kudos to coach of the year Bud. :-)

ps If Raps face the Pacers, they might not get out of round 1.....pacers still have the same coach, and many of the same players that gave Miami trouble a few years back.