• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Timberwolves

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

At some point Bud has to try something different.  I had hopes that Baze could at least return to his form of last season but he's a flat out detriment to the team right now.  We need to see Hump and Scott getting Moose's minutes.   I  know he's been really good at times but it hasn't meant wins for the Hawks. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

People are going to see what they want.  Rather than focus on a 2-13 shooting night they'd rather focus on the guy that was 9-9 from the field and grabbed 12 boards. Makes total sense. 

Add in it didn't look like we could defend a high school three point shooter last night. Couldn't even get to the spot most of the time. Thats way away from the rim.

• Like 2

Agree full heartedly about when Tim is one hundred percent he and Thabo start and then we can find out what Bembry and Prince can give us if Baze and Kyle are getting trounced which certainly looks like it will continue all season. Not talking about giving the kids just single digit minutes or time after the game is virtually over. At some point it has to be obvious even to Bud doesn't it?   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Count me in for a new coach and GM

I think having a separate coach a GM is a better model. Coaches get too close to the players, and it influences their decisions. The Baze contract being a good example. You don'y pay a mediocre 3 and D with very limited offensive skill 70 million just bcause he's a nice team first guy. That's not how this business works, and being from the Spurs he should know better.

• Like 4

I'll say it again, Howard doesn't deserve full blame for this, but how do you explain the wings (more Korver than Bazemore) just dropping off the face of the earth in impact with him on the court? Y'all don't think it's relatable to a certain someone leaving?

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'll say it again, Howard doesn't deserve full blame for this, but how do you explain the wings (more Korver than Bazemore) just dropping off the face of the earth in impact with him on the court? Y'all don't think it's relatable to a certain someone leaving?

Korver wasn't good last year either.

This team took a 12 game slide last year. Counting on a player like Korver was never going to be a long term solution. You could argue that KK's defense  wouldn't look as bas if Horford was still here, but Kyle's time as a starter is up.

• Like 2

Again this is the most unpredictable Hawks squad I've watched in my 30 years. It's so frustrating not knowing where to put the blame. I can't decide if I wanna go for the #3 seed in the east if go full rebuild and tank or possibly "retool". 

Ps Holy moly LaVine has improved. That kid is a scary freak Russ Westbrook 2.0. He's now combining his elite athleticism with elite skill. If this keeps up he's on the radar for being a top 20 player overall in the NBA soon. 

Pps Im really hatin Delaney right now. I'm do anything for a legit vet BU point that knows how to control a game. LIKE AN UNINJURED JARRETT JACK....:-(

14 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ps Holy moly LaVine has improved. That kid is a scary freak Russ Westbrook 2.0. He's now combining his elite athleticism with elite skill. If this keeps up he's on the radar for being a top 20 player overall in the NBA soon. 

An absolute world beater last night, or Hawks beater. Agree with you about him being a Westbrook type athlete. If it wasn't against us it would have been fun to watch him up and down the court.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thomas said:

An absolute world beater last night, or Hawks beater. Agree with you about him being a Westbrook type athlete. If it wasn't against us it would have been fun to watch him up and down the court.

Man, if we could somehow trade for LaVine and Dieng. That would really make my day.

Guess I'm always behind the curve with these out of this world type athletes. Never figured Westbrook to ever be anything close to what he has become (don't think I'm completely alone there) and now LaVine has improved so dramatically. Every couple of years or so there is always someone that just stuns me. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

As @Hotlanta1981 said, Kyle was already regressing last year (his numbers are pretty much the same) but somehow he's getting big minutes.  

Baze is an up/down player.  I don't blame Dwight, I blame Bud for keeping Baze when he isn't a fit now that we have a different look.  I think we do need guys that are more creators in this offense which is why THJr should be starting in his place.  

I still blame Baze for a good bit of this though as I've seen him force a lot of action since he isn't getting the same looks this year.  He's also missed plenty of nice looks he's made in the past so it's a little of both to me.

• Like 2

Trying to find some positives...Bembry had a mini breakout of 7 points and 3 boards in 17 min on 3/4 fg so that's something. But wow, Paul and Kyle look old n tired and Delaney and Baze are not playing very smart basketball. 

Man, I really don't want to lose to NY at home tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

look old n tired

Maybe a dose of two rookies with at least twenty minutes each to help make us look a lot younger and possibly infuse some greyhound roundball. Some kind of positive excitement would be nice.

• Moderators

Scott's stat line didn't look good but i thought he played well.   I'm ready to see him get all of Moose's minutes.   And how about a hand for a guy who was a 3rd leading scorer in the game and tied for second in rebounds despite playing just 10 minutes.   :Hump:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

People are going to see what they want.  Rather than focus on a 2-13 shooting night they'd rather focus on the guy that was 9-9 from the field and grabbed 12 boards. Makes total sense. 

+1000 to this. Agendasquawk in a nutshell. The mental gymnastics in this thread would make Simone Biles jealous.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Trying to find some positives...Bembry had a mini breakout of 7 points and 3 boards in 17 min on 3/4 fg so that's something

Not sure I agree here. I am all about trying to find a silver lining but Bembry didn't really seem like it. He was out of control for a good portion of his time on the floor. Just trying too hard. Not crazy bad like Baze has been or whatever, but if I wasn't familiar with the team and I'd watched the game, I would have assumed he was the rookie on the floor is all. Wasn't impressed, 7 pts or not.

only positive i could find in the game was Howard, and that was at least slightly tarnished by that ugly turnover on the inbounds pass that was stolen for a dunk. But 9/9 and double digit rebounds is always welcome in my book. *ahem*Alice*ahem* I wonder if Howard is having signing regrets... Like Bud is almost certainly having about Baze

What are the chances we can actually unload Baze? Are there really teams that would take him for garbage? He just seems like such a negative, it is hard to imagine someone wanting him at all. I thought his contract was ok, but now that he can't hit the broad side of a fat lady with the ball, I dunno. It's been such a long stretch of games where he's been bad, and that's not a small contract... Ugh

• Like 1