• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at heat

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Yeah, let's crap on the best thing this organization has at the moment in Coach Bud because he is properly managing the minutes of a rookie who isn't quite ready for major minutes.  

All hail Travis Schlenk, who did absolutely nothing to field a competitive team during the off season.

He drafted Collins outside the lottery in the high teens, that should count for something.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

At least our prize is going to be some 19 year old who is 2-3 years away from being able to make a meaningful impact on winning games.  YAY!!!!

Hah. Was not Collins a 19 year old rookie worth acquiring. I have little doubts Schlenk can accrue some good talent to the base.

But to the Mia game, he does need to work on his defense but what rookie is ahead of the curve there. He gives tremendous effort else where. Bud is hesitant to pair two interior based frontcourt players like Collins and Dedmon. He's always mixing and matching Illy and Muscala with the two.

• Like 2

I don’t have a problem with Collins’ limited minutes.  The only thing I don’t trust in him yet is his endurance and ability to absorb punishment.  It’s early but he’s already a stat darling: 25.6 PER, .207 WS/48 and the only player on the squad with a +BPM at nearly a point (Dennis 0). 

A few promising stats for the team: 1st in attempts, FT %, and steals, 4th on the glass.  Not promising, giving up 110 per.  I don’t know much of Plumlee, I’d like to see if he could relieve at least a little pressure off the front court.  It’s about time to dust him off.

Edited by benhillboy

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

Collins plays more minutes tonight we probably win the game.

Definitely. Play Collins where he is better suited and play him a lot, PF of course. I think playing Dedmon a good bit at C and let Moose and even Ersan clean up the remaining minutes there is more than an obvious rotation that is needed. We would be a good bit more effective and have a lot more rebounds to work with. Ersan getting minutes at both spots still wouldn't give him all that much time on the floor and we can see if he gets his rhythm back at some point. Whether Collins starts or not Bud just needs to let him play a bunch. Last night's minutes were ridiculous.

• Like 2

Collins is one of those guys that will skew the shooting stats. Even with his rebounding our shooting percentages overall can and probably will still look bad but we will have chances to win games with his rebounding on both ends, more opportunities to score for sure. Even with his poor defense his numbers don't necessarily tell how much he really helps us on the floor. Last night was a perfect example, he was so needed. Is harnessing a player the same thing as over coaching?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, High5 said:

Collins with 28/24 in his last 39 minutes. Beautiful. I'm not mad at Bud's management of him currently. He's playing a very active and physical role for the team and the last thing you want to do is wear him down while he's trying to figure things out. There's no rush. 

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20171023&game=ATLMIA

When you look at his minutes distribution last night, it's so disappointing that Bud didn't even consider to put him back in the game.  He had 8 points and 3 rebounds in the 8 minutes he played in the 2nd half, and was +9 for that stint.

When you go through the play by play, Bud substituted for Collins right after the foul on Olynyk that led to an "and-1".  Hawks were down 3 at that point.  Before that play, Collins made a good hustle play to get an offensive board and put it back in the hole, to tie the game.

After Collins leaves, the Heat promptly go on a 17 - 6 run over the next 7+ minutes, to blow the game open.

If they're trying to tank, it's no reason to do it on purpose.  This team, barring some vast improvement in the backup PG and "stretch 4" positions, isn't winning over 25 games.  So it's no sense depriving the fan base to see the one person that we MIGHT pay to see, if he is balling, but the team continues to lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I will never understand Bud's irrational love for Delaney and Moose.  I'm just never going to get it.

I don't think he has an irrational love for Delaney. He was quick to give Calderon his minutes last season. We just don't have a better option right now. Not unless Taylor proves to be that player, which he hopefully will in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20171023&game=ATLMIA

When you look at his minutes distribution last night, it's so disappointing that Bud didn't even consider to put him back in the game.  He had 8 points and 3 rebounds in the 8 minutes he played in the 2nd half, and was +9 for that stint.

When you go through the play by play, Bud substituted for Collins right after the foul on Olynyk that led to an "and-1".  Hawks were down 3 at that point.  Before that play, Collins made a good hustle play to get an offensive board and put it back in the hole, to tie the game.

After Collins leaves, the Heat promptly go on a 17 - 6 run over the next 7+ minutes, to blow the game open.

If they're trying to tank, it's no reason to do it on purpose.  This team, barring some vast improvement in the backup PG and "stretch 4" positions, isn't winning over 25 games.  So it's no sense depriving the fan base to see the one person that we MIGHT pay to see, if he is balling, but the team continues to lose.

I want to see Collins get 30+ minutes as much as the next guy. It's lame hearing people rave about all these other rookies who only have that minutes advantage. But I'm happy with him playing ~20 minutes a night for now if it means he gets to play the entire season and finish strong. Philips is going to be a ghost town regardless. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, High5 said:

I don't think he has an irrational love for Delaney. He was quick to give Calderon his minutes last season. We just don't have a better option right now. Not unless Taylor proves to be that player, which he hopefully will in time.

After giving Delaney a ton of rope (with which he hung himself), Bud finally recognized Delaney was unplayable last year and traded for Jose who quickly got minutes.  Then this year he decided to go into the year with Delaney as the sole backup even though Delaney hasn't improved one bit.  That is irrational love in my book.

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

:Bud: Are you calling me a moron?  Do you want to compare IQ's?  I guarantee my IQ is higher!

The heart wants what it wants.  Being a moron has nothing to do with it.  When the heart wants Delaney and Moose what can you do?

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

The heart wants what it wants.  Being a moron has nothing to do with it.  When the heart wants Delaney and Moose what can you do?

seriously speaking though, I am glad others are starting to notice these flaws in Bud's coaching.  At one point, I felt like the lone rangers being attacked viciously for questioning a Bud coaching decision.  Now I have at least a few more not afraid of the repercussions of some level of criticism for Bud

Think folks have always worried about late in game decisions and of course his mysterious rotations but his offensive and defensive schemes helped shape us into a fun to watch winning team and we did get farther than ever before in Atlanta so that won't be discarded so easily I don't believe. Last year of course was an ugly experiment and this year is a bit of daycare going on so am guessing he will get plenty more room. Will say he really has looked a combination of lost, harried and frustrated so far this time around and his rotations are still quite the mystery.