• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Homecourt Draft Discussion

AHF

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, DBac said:

Stuck between wishing the the best for Luka and hoping we didn't get smoked in this trade.

after 2002, 19 international players have been selected in the lottery...None have become all stars

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/106856/nba-draft-the-numbers-on-international-lottery-picks

10 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

after 2002, 19 international players have been selected in the lottery...None have become all stars

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/106856/nba-draft-the-numbers-on-international-lottery-picks

that was through 2015.  In 2018 porzingis was an all star.  you also had the greek freak and goran.  europeans did not get a lot of love in the draft this year and I wonder how much that is their fault for not emphasizing the athleticism/strength of their players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NBA_All-Star_Game

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kerrypack said:

that was through 2015.  In 2018 porzingis was an all star.  you also had the greek freak and goran.  europeans did not get a lot of love in the draft this year and I wonder how much that is their fault for not emphasizing the athleticism/strength of their players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NBA_All-Star_Game

You're right

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/23/mikal-bridges-zhaire-smith-donte-divincenzo-draft-trade-sixers-suns-bucks-pacers-hawks

Complicating matters, the Bucks were simultaneously discussing a potential trade of DiVincenzo at No. 17 to Indiana for No. 23, and contemplated selecting Kevin Huerter for the Hawks in exchange for picks Nos. 19 and No. 30, league sources said. 

Much like Trae Young at the top of the draft, it looks like Kevin Huerter was the target of both the 19th pick and the trade up.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/23/mikal-bridges-zhaire-smith-donte-divincenzo-draft-trade-sixers-suns-bucks-pacers-hawks

Complicating matters, the Bucks were simultaneously discussing a potential trade of DiVincenzo at No. 17 to Indiana for No. 23, and contemplated selecting Kevin Huerter for the Hawks in exchange for picks Nos. 19 and No. 30, league sources said. 

Much like Trae Young at the top of the draft, it looks like Kevin Huerter was the target of both the 19th pick and the trade up.

Schlenk is absolute garbage. Why would you trade an additional first just to move up two spots? I wanted to give him the draft to prove himself, but you were right that Schlenk is incompetent.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Schlenk is absolute garbage. Why would you trade an additional first just to move up two spots? I wanted to give him the draft to prove himself, but you were right that Schlenk is incompetent.

I'm sure this is because he would rather have just 2 guaranteed contracts- I think he wanted Spellman and would have still tried to get rid of the 30th pick if he felt like he would slip to 34.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I'm sure this is because he would rather have just 2 guaranteed contracts- I think he wanted Spellman and would have still tried to get rid of the 30th pick if he felt like he would slip to 34.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s not an incompetent plan at all

• Premium Member
Yeah that’s not an incompetent plan at all

Not at all and it also makes sense to trade 34 for 2 2nds when it didn’t materialize. I really do think Schlenk had a good draft just disappointed the protection wasn’t a little better on the Mavs 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Couple of things:

1. About trae and his size. Isn't he likely still growing? Kid is like 19. Is it not reasonable to believe he will wind up at least the same height as Steph? Serious question.

2. About Doncic, I was disappointed too, but being realistic, I remember some Dennis fans coming on here literally saying that Delaney was the best player in Euro League, so isn't it reasonable to hold judgment to see if his skills actually translate? 

I dont one have time to keep up with college, much less euro stuff, but I'm just excited to see summer league get started here soon. So I don't have much opinion one way or the other about the draft but am crossing my fingers.

also, I am losing faith in Slink pretty early into his tenure. What a boneheaded way to kill whatever trade value Dennis might have had. Sheesh. already disn't like the dwight trade. Ugh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Couple of things:

1. About trae and his size. Isn't he likely still growing? Kid is like 19. Is it not reasonable to believe he will wind up at least the same height as Steph? Serious question.

2. About Doncic, I was disappointed too, but being realistic, I remember some Dennis fans coming on here literally saying that Delaney was the best player in Euro League, so isn't it reasonable to hold judgment to see if his skills actually translate? 

I dont one have time to keep up with college, much less euro stuff, but I'm just excited to see summer league get started here soon. So I don't have much opinion one way or the other about the draft but am crossing my fingers.

also, I am losing faith in Slink pretty early into his tenure. What a boneheaded way to kill whatever trade value Dennis might have had. Sheesh. already disn't like the dwight trade. Ugh.

Contrary to popular belief, it's very rare to still be growing at age 19, and he's turns 20 in two months. He's reached his adult height of 6 ft and 1/2 inches.

Doncic is no sure thing, but he was considered the better prospect by most scouts.

Travis is no Danny Ferry when it comes to trades. We had Dallas by the nads, it should have an unprotected pick and salary relief.

30 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Contrary to popular belief, it's very rare to still be growing at age 19, and he's turns 20 in two months. He's reached his adult height of 6 ft and 1/2 inches.

Doncic is no sure thing, but he was considered the better prospect by most scouts.

Travis is no Danny Ferry when it comes to trades. We had Dallas by the nads, it should have an unprotected pick and salary relief.

https://www.medhealthdaily.com/when-do-men-stop-growing/

Although most of growth takes place before the age of 18, many men will keep growing until they are 21 years old. In some exceptional cases, the man may continue growing until he is 25 years old. After this point, the man is at the tallest height that he will ever reach.

FYI, I was one of those exceptional cases. I was 5'9 1/2 when I entered the Army at 23 years of age. I left Bosnia 21 months later 6'.  I also weigh 2x what I weighed when I graduated high school....so there's that.

Doncic was considered the better prospect by the media. What most scouts had him listed as hasn't come out.  If you read his draft profile, his limitation are many (I've listed them before).

As far as the pick for pick goes. I posted the trade value calculator a few weeks ago and it is not science. Unprotected picks are given values based on the types of players they could/would produce.  

You can see a good chart value with methodology here:  https://fansided.com/2016/06/16/nba-draft-trade-value-chart/

Per the author's point system, the 3rd pick is worth 6.82 in trade value (like a 6.82 million dollar a year player) based on what that player would be expected to produce (on average) years 1-3.  The 5th pick's value is 5.94.  So based on this chart, if the new player is better than the 35th overall pick when it conveys....Travis won the trade.  Consider if the pick conveys as the 10th pick next year. the total of both Atlanta picks would be 10.05, vs what they gave up at 6.82.

IE...Atlanta killed on the trade. Schlenk won.

All of this is moot if one or the other is injured, etc.  But from a value perspective, Schlenk got back excellent value.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

You’re right. Let’s not even see how Huerter does before making that statement. You act like pick 30 is so valuable. (It’s not) Though I do love the Spellman pick.

3 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

I think both Young and Huerter will be really good at least. Hopefully Spellman turns out to be decent also.

I don't get the negativity.... Yeah, you just heard me say that. lol

I like all three players. But all three will have to develop. All three have a lot to work on.

Considering Huerter is a sophomore and Young and Spellman are freshman, we have a lot to work on them with.

:ermm:

Comparing Doncic and Young may be comparing apples and oranges.  The two are different, for sure.

Maybe we should look closer at Doncic and Huerter.  Sure.  One is a #3 pick and the other a #19.  Our man is recovering from surgery, which might be why he fell to #19.  He can't possibly be anywhere as great as the #3 draft pick, can he?  If he hadn't been injured, he might have gone sooner, you think?

Gasp!  Everyone loves to play the "what if" game.  Here you go:  What if our #19 turns out to be almost as good as the #3 pick?  Remember, there has been picks in the second round who became all stars.  History teaches us that it can happen.  #3 pick may become all world and #19 may be a flop.  Sure, it may happen.  BUT, there is no guarantee that the opposite will not happen.

Now, my question:  How does these two compare?

:agree:

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, thecampster said:

Doncic was considered the better prospect by the media. What most scouts had him listed as hasn't come out.  If you read his draft profile, his limitation are many (I've listed them before).

As far as the pick for pick goes. I posted the trade value calculator a few weeks ago and it is not science. Unprotected picks are given values based on the types of players they could/would produce.  

You can see a good chart value with methodology here:  https://fansided.com/2016/06/16/nba-draft-trade-value-chart/

Per the author's point system, the 3rd pick is worth 6.82 in trade value (like a 6.82 million dollar a year player) based on what that player would be expected to produce (on average) years 1-3.  The 5th pick's value is 5.94.  So based on this chart, if the new player is better than the 35th overall pick when it conveys....Travis won the trade.  Consider if the pick conveys as the 10th pick next year. the total of both Atlanta picks would be 10.05, vs what they gave up at 6.82.

IE...Atlanta killed on the trade. Schlenk won.

All of this is moot if one or the other is injured, etc.  But from a value perspective, Schlenk got back excellent value.

That is accurate in the abstract but gives the same value to Tim Duncan and Kwame Brown.  The player on the board matters more than average value whereas this approach makes much more sense for a team making a trade for a 2022 pick.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, GThawks3 said:

You’re right. Let’s not even see how Huerter does before making that statement. You act like pick 30 is so valuable. (It’s not) Though I do love the Spellman pick.

As a series of trades it would have been pretty suspect.  Schlenk paid over $10Mfor that 30th pick.  

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is accurate in the abstract but gives the same value to Tim Duncan and Kwame Brown.  The player on the board matters more than average value whereas this approach makes perfect sense gene making a trade for a 2022 pick.

No kidding! I hope Doncic is not equal to Michael Jordon, 3rd pick, that would be a horrific trade. But I do hope Young's value is equal to Barkley's ( 5th pick ) !