• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Collins ain't fixing this

NBASupes

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, BudBall said:

Instead of 6 wins, we would have 8 with Collins. We would still be one of the worst teams in the league, the first couple games playing good defense was a fluke.

Count me among those that was fooled by the defense we played in first few games.  I thought we turned a corner as a team as we don't have a scoring problem but a problem stopping other teams from scoring.

I don't understand how we allow so many non contested drives to the basket, especially on PnR plays.  The body language of the players does not look good when this happens.  I can't imagine this is part of the plan the team envisioned going into this season.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AtlHomer said:

Count me among those that was fooled by the defense we played in first few games.  I thought we turned a corner as a team as we don't have a scoring problem but a problem stopping other teams from scoring.

I don't understand how we allow so many non contested drives to the basket, especially on PnR plays.  The body language of the players does not look good when this happens.  I can't imagine this is part of the plan the team envisioned going into this season.

YPJ

• Like 1

Thanks, Hawks..  Remember that 13 win season?  It's beginning to look better and better.

No defense.  Repeat.  No defense.  Hawks score 120 and that's not near enough.  Game is not even close.  A blowout loss when we score 120!  Scoring inside.  Scoring outside.  Hawks have no idea how to even slow it down.  How bad can it get?  

NO DEFENSE !!

:ahf:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, Thomas said:

Knicks scored one of the most point totals they have had in a game in decades last night. Pretty doggone bad right there.

Ya I switched over to the Knick telecast and they said this is the most point the Knicks have scored through 3 quarters in 11 years. 😳 

• Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think they said Knicks scored most posts in a game since 1980. I've been a fan longer than anyone here except for @Gray Mule and I can't remember the Hawks being this bad on defense. Maybe he can remember a Hawks teams worse than this on defense but I don't think there was.

2000? Rider, Jimmy Jax and Jason Terry

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

This is the worst Hawks defense by defensive rating (114.5). Last year was the 2nd worst (113.9) and 1989-90 was the 3rd worst (111.9). Cleveland (115.3) and Washington (117.4) play even less defense than we do. 

All-time garbage defense rankings:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=team_totals&year_min=1947&year_max=2020&lg_id=NBA&order_by=def_rtg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, High5 said:

This is the worst Hawks defense by defensive rating (114.5). Last year was the 2nd worst (113.9) and 1989-90 was the 3rd worst (111.9). Cleveland (115.3) and Washington (117.4) play even less defense than we do. 

All-time garbage defense rankings:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=team_totals&year_min=1947&year_max=2020&lg_id=NBA&order_by=def_rtg

The MOV slider on that link is interesting too.  Shows that not only do we have a poor defense and losing games, but also losing them by a wide margin. As GrayMule said, 120 points should be enough offense to win a game.

Another thing I found interesting is that Cleveland is in the same boat as we are.  Poor defense and losing by a wide margin.  We play them on December 23rd... the same game we get Collins back. I'll be taking that game for a grain of salt!

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

The MOV slider on that link is interesting too.  Shows that not only do we have a poor defense and losing games, but also losing them by a wide margin. As GrayMule said, 120 points should be enough offense to win a game.

Another thing I found interesting is that Cleveland is in the same boat as we are.  Poor defense and losing by a wide margin.  We play them on December 23rd... the same game we get Collins back. I'll be taking that game for a grain of salt!

I'm certainly not going to say that defense isn't a huge problem but we went long stretches in the first half without scoring.  The lack of scoring put a ton of pressure on our defense in transition which we can't handle.    Our strategy is built on scoring a lot and defending the half court.  When we're missing a lot of shots and turning the ball over then the whole thing implodes.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

19-21 wins is what I’m counting.

19-36

20-35

21-34 (dang this is taking a look at our schedule and being pretty optimistic).

Ya....I ahh, I’m gonna pass on this bet. I’m sad 😞 to do it though.

Looking like NostrodaSpud after last night.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

I've been ragging on Turner and Crabbe but at this point I'd go back to Turner instead of Bembry.  It's not like Turner shoots worse than Bembry.  Let's make a change and see

I'd let Turner have minutes as the backup PG rather than Heurter.   Sit Bembry.  Start Len for better defense (did i just type that?).  Let Bruno backup Jabari (i know there's a whole thread on it).  cut down on Carter's minutes some.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm certainly not going to say that defense isn't a huge problem but we went long stretches in the first half without scoring.  The lack of scoring put a ton of pressure on our defense in transition which we can't handle.    Our strategy is built on scoring a lot and defending the half court.  When we're missing a lot of shots and turning the ball over then the whole thing implodes.

Our offense has been awful all year. Preseason included. Defense was promising till Collins got suspended and Len and Cam moved to the pine

• Like 2