• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

[Winter 2020] Woj Rumor: Drummmmmnd to ATL talks happening

kg01

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Why not both?

This.

I'm not sure why we can't have both also. We have 6 players under contract next season - 1 4th year player, 2 3yr players and 3 1 year players. If we add 2 rookies that's 8. (They can be brought along slower than Reddish and Hunter just because of where we would be in the rebuild). 

That leaves 7 additional spots for 'old' players via FAcy or trades this season.

IF we are lucky enough to trade for Adams or Drummond (or sign as FA) or Turner, Bertans, we have Teague, that still leaves 4 spots to fill with vets.

• Thanks 3

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

(They can be brought along slower than Reddish and Hunter just because of where we would be in the rebuild). 

This is why i'm not scared of anthony edwards.  This is likely the last time we're in the top 5 for a while so let's take a chance.  We don't need that guy to become a star right away because we are developing some other guys who are further down the road.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This is why i'm not scared of anthony edwards.  This is likely the last time we're in the top 5 for a while so let's take a chance.  We don't need that guy to become a star right away because we are developing some other guys who are further down the road.  

As long as we are making moves with an idea towards the future, then any winning will only be in the future.  Not now.

This team is to the point where every decision needs to be made based around what can help this team win now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Uhm, that's not why you should be scared of Edwards.  You should be scared of him because he's not a winning player.

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Uhm, that's not why you should be scared of Edwards.  You should be scared of him because he's not a winning player.

Would you say this if he played for Georgia Tech?   Inquiring minds want to know KG 😂!

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

This team is to the point where every decision needs to be made based around what can help this team win now.

We definitely are not at a point where we need to sell out the future to maximize the present.  We are at a point where we should have better, more productive veterans now.  Schlenk's great failure this season was taking a step back from last year's roster with our vets instead of taking a step forward or at a minimum just treading water.

Age 24+

Jeremy Lin

Kent Bazemore

Deandre Bembry

Taurean Prince

Vince Carter

Alex Len

Dewayne Dedmon

>>>

Evan Turner

Deandre Bembry

Allen Crabbe

Jabari Parker

Vince Carter

Alex Len

Damian Jones

Add in injuries to Huerter and JC that didn't hamper the team last year and it is no surprise we are struggling so hard this year.  If we had added some low cost vets in the mold of TJ McConnell we would be much better.  Schlenk can't miss like that again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

We definitely are not at a point where we need to sell out the future to maximize the present.  We are at a point where we should have better, more productive veterans now.  Schlenk's great failure this season was taking a step back from last year's roster with our vets instead of taking a step forward or at a minimum just treading water.

Age 24+

Jeremy Lin

Kent Bazemore

Deandre Bembry

Taurean Prince

Vince Carter

Alex Len

Dewayne Dedmon

>>>

Evan Turner

Deandre Bembry

Allen Crabbe

Jabari Parker

Vince Carter

Alex Len

Damian Jones

Add in injuries to Huerter and JC that didn't hamper the team last year and it is no surprise we are struggling so hard this year.  If we had added some low cost vets in the mold of TJ McConnell we would be much better.  Schlenk can't miss like that again.

We needed perfect health and availability from our core to really have a shot at the 8th seed, and we had the absolute opposite of that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Would you say this if he played for Georgia Tech?   Inquiring minds want to know KG 😂!

Yup.  I don't wear gold glasses, mayne.  I can call it like I sees it .. and when I don't, I make that abundantly clear.  Edwards looks like the typical new-era guard that just scores and if anything else happens .. great.

Probably was an early bloomer physically so bullied competition to a large degree.  An advantage that will evaporate next year so the question becomes 'is his game mature enough to break out or will he wilt under the pressure of not being able to score at will'?

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That's determined already at 19 years old?

You can see signs that soon, can't you?  Certainly enough to make you hold yer horses.

I see signs that don't inspire confidence.  But, then again, I also hear voices so .... tifwiw. 😏

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yup.  I don't wear gold glasses, mayne.  I can call it like I sees it .. and when I don't, I make that abundantly clear.  Edwards looks like the typical new-era guard that just scores and if anything else happens .. great.

Probably was an early bloomer physically so bullied competition to a large degree.  An advantage that will evaporate next year so the question becomes 'is his game mature enough to break out or will he wilt under the pressure of not being able to score at will'?

You can see signs that soon, can't you?  Certainly enough to make you hold yer horses.

I see signs that don't inspire confidence.  But, then again, I also hear voices so .... tifwiw. 😏

Anthony didn't start playing basketball seriously until he was 14 years old.  I think if you consider the progression he's made there's a ton to work with.  He's a very coachable kid and that's why I have high hopes for him. I see flashes of a good one on one defender.  He doesn't have an understanding of team defense.  I also see some too much unselfishness in him at times and way too much selfishness at others.  To me, he's just a raw prospect  that does have the best feel for the game, but that given time, could be one of the better two guards in the NBA one day.

Again, he's the second youngest player in the draft and will be 18 years old when he's drafted.  For the Hawks, he's number one on my big board.  The only thing he  will do well coming to the NBA is probably getting to the basket and playing one on one defense. 

Edited by marco102

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Age 24+

Jeremy Lin

Kent Bazemore

Deandre Bembry

Taurean Prince

Vince Carter

Alex Len

Dewayne Dedmon

>>>

Evan Turner

Deandre Bembry

Allen Crabbe

Jabari Parker

Vince Carter

Alex Len

Damian Jones

So, how many more years of losing do we need to withstand before we decide that constantly making decisions for the future isn’t helping the team in anyway for now?

13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Anthony didn't start playing basketball seriously until he was 14 years old.  I think if you consider the progression he's made there's a ton to work with.  He's a very coachable kid and that's why I have high hopes for him. I see flashes of a good one on one defender.  He doesn't have an understanding of team defense.  I also see some too much unselfishness in him at times and way too much selfishness at others.  To me, he's just a raw prospect  that does have the best feel for the game, but that given time, could be one of the better two guards in the NBA one day.

Again, he's the second youngest player in the draft and will be 18 years old when he's drafted.  For the Hawks, he's number one on my big board.  The only thing he  will do well coming to the NBA is probably getting to the basket and playing one on one defense. 

I hear you.  The tools are there.  But that steak is so raw it moo's when you stick the fork in.  If we take a kid like that, or even Wiseman who's probably closer to contributing, we need to add some win-now(ish) players such that we can shelve him for the year basically.

Kinda like how DEN didn't need Porter, jr. last year.

• Like 1