• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

11 hours ago, hazer said:

The Huert's 3-ball % is only going up too. He's capable of 40% on 6+ attempts.

The big picture part of this equation is if we lose Graham, that makes 4 who shoot over .350. Say Reddish and Hunter get better, which is fully expected, that makes 6 who shoot over .350. With the way LP loves the three ball, another free agent shooter to make 7 is the minimum in my eyes.

If we trade anyone on this team who can shoot, we better get a shooter back or it will be more of the same next season.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, marco102 said:

Edwards and Ball are the guys.  This team needs someone else who can get their own shot, besides Trae.  Cam showed some potential there, I hope he continues to improve.   

Also, I'd straight up trade Capela for Gobert.  No one seems to be discussing that. 

EDIT: Gobert's contract runs out next season, so there's that too.

Me too.  If he would commit to resigning, I’d happily trade our first and Capela for him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Buzzard said:

The big picture part of this equation is if we lose Graham, that makes 4 who shoot over .350. Say Reddish and Hunter get better, which is fully expected, that makes 6 who shoot over .350. With the way LP loves the three ball, another free agent shooter to make 7 is the minimum in my eyes.

If we trade anyone on this team who can shoot, we better get a shooter back or it will be more of the same next season.

FA: Joe Harris 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Me too.  If he would commit to resigning, I’d happily trade our first and Capela for him.

There's about a $9.75 million difference in contracts there. I don't think the Hawks need to trade a lottery pick for that, maybe a top 15 proctected pick that turns into future seconds.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

If it's top 5 I wouldn't.

I understand the 'weak draft' mantra but Gobert isn't worth such a high pick value. He's limited on offense. He has 1 year left on his deal. (Granted he wil need to extend)

I'd 1st try to trade down in the 2020 draft to about the 6-8 and get a future 20211st.

Then use that pick pick in trade (#6-#8) for Gobert.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JTB said:

If Schlenk actually made a trade for Gobert for Capela I wouldn’t be mad as long as Gobert agrees to an extension but capela is younger and on a more reasonable contract.

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

There's about a $9.75 million difference in contracts there. I don't think the Hawks need to trade a lottery pick for that, maybe a top 15 proctected pick that turns into future seconds.  

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If it's top 5 I wouldn't.

I understand the 'weak draft' mantra but Gobert isn't worth such a high pick value. He's limited on offense. He has 1 year left on his deal. (Granted he wil need to extend)

I'd 1st try to trade down in the 2020 draft to about the 6-8 and get a future 20211st.

Then use that pick pick in trade (#6-#8) for Gobert.

If we could get Gobert who was willing to commit to his next contract with us for cheaper than our first and Capela then great.  If not, the salary difference doesn’t matter to me.  We aren’t particularly cap constrained and Gobert is a very significant better defender which I think would make life so much better for Trae and Collins.

I’d do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JTB said:

If Schlenk actually made a trade for Gobert for Capela I wouldn’t be mad

I definitely would be.

Is Gobert better overall? Of course he is.

Is he so much better that he merits paying $10 million more next season?

No.

Moreover, is he so much better that he merits almost certainly paying something in that neighborhood more for the two seasons after that, too?

Absolutely not.

I'm not sure it's appreciated like it ought to be. Capela's contract might represent the best performance-to-dollar value in the entire NBA among non-max veteran (ie, not rookie scale) contracts. And saving that ~$10m gives us so much more opportunity to improve the team during this and next free agency periods.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I definitely would be.

No.

Moreover, is he so much better that he merits almost certainly paying something in that neighborhood more for the two seasons after that, too?

Absolutely not.

I'm not sure it's appreciated like it ought to be. Capela's contract might represent the best performance-to-dollar value in the entire NBA among non-max veteran (ie, not rookie scale) contracts. And saving that ~$10m gives us so much more opportunity to improve the team during this and next free agency periods.

If I viewed them as close in impact as you do, I would agree.  I don’t fault the logic.  I just don’t agree with the assumption.

The difference between them to me is closer to the difference between Theo Ratliff and Mutombo than two similarly valued peers.

(I hope I’m underrating Capela.)

2 hours ago, AHF said:

If I viewed them as close in impact as you do, I would agree.  I don’t fault the logic.  I just agree with assumption.

The difference between them to me is closer to the difference between Theo Ratliff and Mutombo than two similarly valued peers.

(I hope I’m underrating Capela.)

Their similar tier for me. Capela fits what we need better. Gobert fit our old system better 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Their similar tier for me. Capela fits what we need better. Gobert fit our old system better 

I’ll be thrilled if you are right but I don’t think they are on the same level or that it is all that close.  I think if the Rockets had Gobert they would probably have a ring and wouldn’t have given him up regardless.  Capela is less of an essential piece.

3 hours ago, sturt said:

I definitely would be.

No.

Absolutely not.

Funny you say that , I recall when he got that contract many thought it was horrible. Not saying you were among that crowd I just remember folks saying he wasn’t worth it . Fast forward to today and he is literally probably one the best contracts in the league based on his production in all of the nba...... 14pts and 14 rebs plus being a good defender at this contract is awesome! We really should thank HOUSTON big time !

with that said I’d have to agree with your points. Gobert is a better defender than capela (not even up for debate) but for an extra 10 million for his services shall he command such a thing ,  I don’t think he is worth that. 

Defense is needed and it’s great to be able to play at such a high elite level defensively like Gobert can play at but this is still the NBA....OFFENSE will always be rewarded over defense ...in other words atleast to me you can win a championship with either Capela or Gobert at center.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I’ll be thrilled if you are right but I don’t think they are on the same level or that it is all that close.  I think if the Rockets had Gobert they would probably have a ring and wouldn’t have given him up regardless.  Capela is less of an essential piece.

Not sure about that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Capela had some good games vs His key matchup Draymond and the warriors  in the WCF that season...I’m not so sure Gobert would make an actual difference after all they did launch 20 plus missed 3pt shots to end it.

also harden isn’t a very good playoff performer. His numbers take a dive rather than going up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think Gobert is better but not 'double-digit millions' and 'added-hassle' better.  Anybody remember him whining about asg bids and whatnot?  Plus the notoriety that'd come with him after all this virus bidness.

Plus he's a Frenchman.  I mean, does anyone like frenchmen? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Capela had some good games vs His key matchup Draymond

Absolutely not. He was actually known to be “Draymond’s bitch” with both Rockets and scrub fans alike. Draymond owns him unfortunately, to this point.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I think Gobert is better but not 'double-digit millions' and 'added-hassle' better.  Anybody remember him whining about asg bids and whatnot?  Plus the notoriety that'd come with him after all this virus bidness.

Plus he's a Frenchman.  I mean, does anyone like frenchmen? 

He’s also known to cry 😢 a lot. Overall he’s a whiny lil b...sorry this corona got me callin everyone bitch like I’m Jesse from Breaking Bad ..BITCH! 😐 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Absolutely not. He was actually known to be “Draymond’s bitch” with both Rockets and scrub fans alike. Draymond owns him unfortunately, to this point.

You’re overrating Green owning Capela. 

Capela job was to play defense and rebound. He did what he could vs the historic warriors and they almost beat them in that WCF. He grabbed boards, had good defense around the rim, and scored when he got his opportunities....in my opinion capela did his part in that series in most games and I’m not just saying it cause he’s a hawk now but he’s not the reason they didn’t advance. Hell he was the rockets best scorer in game 7 and shouldn’t have been .

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I don't think it is a coincidence that Capela went #71 and Gobert went #14 in our dynasty draft last summer.  That ranking illustrates the gap to me fairly accurately.  Again, I hope that I'm underrating Capela and was very happy for the trade.  I still am.   Just see a sizable gap that would have me happy to pay the difference in salaries.  Gobert would be transformational for our defense.  I am hoping Capela will be but don't have that same confidence.