• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Grizzlies at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
On 3/3/2020 at 10:15 AM, NBASupes said:

This is part of the reason why the USA Team keeps passing on him but no one wants to be honest with him and tell him, your shit stinks Trae, you are golden but your shit stinks.

Isn't this kinda what a coach does?  You keep making the argument that the players are inconsistent with their effort and make bad decision but it isn't a refection of the coaching staff?  I find this very strange

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Isn't this kinda what a coach does?  You keep making the argument that the players are inconsistent with their effort and make bad decision but it isn't a refection of the coaching staff.  I find this very strange

As Mike Leach says, you are either coaching it or allowing it.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Per Kirk Goldsberry the Hawks’ defense rates 6th behind the Clippers at 106.8 per 100 with Trae on the bench.  

Not the same number.  We are looking for the number when a different player misses a 3.

You are talking apples to oranges.  Doesn’t mean that number isn’t significant but it doesn’t give us context for that specific stat.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, AHF said:

I kind of want to tally the number of posts by certain posters in threads for games we win versus games we lose.

Might as well, no games until Friday.

29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It would be worth it.  I hereby commission you to do the study.

:good:

• Haha 2

• Moderators

Has Trae himself said, it's hard to place a lot of weight in some of these individual defensive stats when every player that's top 20 is on a really good team.   If you're a subpar defender on a good defensive team then suddenly your 'advanced' defensive stats don't look so bad.   Lou Williams, Tim Hardaway, Will Barton seem to all have massively improved their defense since they started playing on good teams. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Has Trae himself said, it's hard to place a lot of weight in some of these individual defensive stats when every player that's top 20 is on a really good team.   If you're a subpar defender on a good defensive team then suddenly your 'advanced' defensive stats don't look so bad.   Lou Williams, Tim Hardaway, Will Barton seem to all have massively improved their defense since they started playing on good teams. 

Other than Lou Williams, all of those guys have became decent to good defenders. Trae will have to make that same leap. It's possible. Trae actually has defensive talent contrary to popular belief 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Kevin Huerter was blunt in his analysis of the game.

“It can’t happen like that,” said Huerter postgame. “Obviously we laid an egg. We didn’t play defense. We didn’t get back. They killed us in transition. We couldn’t make a shot on the offensive end. There was nothing we did well tonight. We can have off-nights, but not that off. We expect to play better, especially at home. You never want to lose like that.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

The Grizz are legit and way ahead of us on the rebuild.  Beat is by 39 and beat Brooklyn by 39 last night.  I get the games here and they really play together.  

I like that they play hard.  "Ahead" of us?  This year, obviously, but I think that's something that can change.  Especially with young teams.  Who's to say they won't take a step back in year two just like we did?

Players' trajectories don't always go up linearly, if that makes sense.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, AHF said:

But our defense on all possessions is way worse than league average.  I'm a lot more worried if our team is giving up 108 when others shoot 3's but 127 per when Trae shoots 3's than if we are giving up 124 when others shoot 3's and 127 when Trae does.

Just saw this. That original stat came from Second Spectrum and, unless I'm mistaken, you have to have a sub to see that data. I've been scrounging around the interwebs but so far haven't found any similar data so can't calculate the rest of the team numbers. Would be easy to calculate if we just knew the total team data. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Just saw this. That original stat came from Second Spectrum and, unless I'm mistaken, you have to have a sub to see that data. I've been scrounging around the interwebs but so far haven't found any similar data so can't calculate the rest of the team numbers. Would be easy to calculate if we just knew the total team data. 

Agreed.  It is hard for me to value this stat (which is tied to a specific scenario) without knowing the total team data for this specific situation.

It is obvious to me that the comparison between the 127 and league average of 112 is unfair to begin with since the Hawks give up over 116 when he is on the floor in all situations and we know a missed 3 is a better opportunity than a standard possession.  I'm not denying that these may be terrible defensive possessions for us.  I'm just saying let's understand an apples to apples comparison and then look at the root cause (is it the distance on Trae's shots, our team doing a bad job of getting back on D, Trae's inability to stop the counterattack as the last man back, etc.).

24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I like that they play hard.  "Ahead" of us?  This year, obviously, but I think that's something that can change.  Especially with young teams.  Who's to say they won't take a step back in year two just like we did?

It will be interesting to compare us next season.  The last 3 years we have been mirror image teams in record.  I put them ahead of us in the rebuild because they traded their Sap and Horf rather than letting them walk for nothing.  They got Jonas V, Crowder and multiple future picks which represent much more meaningful parts of their success this season than the big bag of nothing that Budcox got for Sap and Horf.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You could be correct.  My basis is they play good defense and we are terrible most of the time aside of Cam and Bembry.