• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Please tell me this isn't true, in the height of pollen season??????

IMG-20200331-WA0038.jpg

See?  This was the very first thing that started to bother me a couple of weeks ago when I felt a little bad.  I thought I was getting pink eye, but it never manifested into that.  The eye just matted up a little for about a day and a half.  Visine cleared it up almost immediately. Then the cold symptoms came.  That's why I thought I had allergies, but was concerned that I might have Corona.   Never could get tested because I wasn't showing symptoms at the time I went to get tested.

Side note:  2 weeks before that, my pit bull had red eyes, had runny eyes a little, and sneezed from time to time.  I even made a joke to him that he bet not give me Coronavirus.  I don't think animals can get this.  But then again, it wouldn't surprise me.  Can they give you the virus though?

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AHF said:

There are a very dangerous number of people who aren't taking this seriously.  We need to stay on message with the importance of taking actions to flatten the curve.  No gatherings is step 1.  I know there are people in my area who are not being responsible.  Hurts to see especially from people you know and like.  I just scratch my head going "I know you are smart but you are acting like this doesn't apply to you and your family.  Where is your head that you can get there and think this is no big deal?"

These people will say anything to make money for themselves.  Makes me sick.

Diamond & Silk, who are hosts on the Fox Nation streaming site said Monday that the number of coronavirus deaths being reported by the media had been inflated to make the president look bad.

“In a matter of two weeks, over 1,000 people supposedly died from the coronavirus,” Silk said. “In a two-week time period, over 1,000 people, after being tested positive, have died from the coronavirus. But it took 39 days, from January all the way up to February the 29th, I believe, for the first person to die. My president said, on March the 24th — Tuesday, this past week — my president said that he would love for America to be back up and running.”

“I knew this was going to happen,” Diamond added. “I knew after he said this, this was going to happen.”

“At the time he said it, there was 25,489 cases with 307 deaths,” continued Silk. “Instantaneously, you had the media calling President Trump out, he wanted open by Easter, he wants this open by Easter — me and you was talking, I said now watch the number of deaths go up. Watch everything increase, because they wanted to make it look bad in front of our eyes.”

These people reject science and so the concept of exponential growth is confirmation of a conspiracy.  Like people are dying in Europe, the US and other places for partisan reasons.

They site anecdotes like "my local hospital's parking lot is less full than normal!" and blow off the statistics coming from the CDC with a message to their listeners:  "This is all BS.  If you believe what they tell you, you are endorsing a conspiracy against the President."  Ironically, they also blow off what Trump says when he references verified data or expert projections and only latch on when he starts up with the "we will be reopening very soon / this is completely under control and just like the normal flu" line of stuff.

It is like they hate their own listeners who are disproportionately in the high risk category.

Give us truth and reality.  All public voices in the media and our government - stop with the BS and treat this with the responsibility it deserves.

According to the projections that Trump shared tonight and our experts, the best case scenario says we will lose more people to this than we did in the Vietnam War.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Just following up on what the feds could be doing more than they are.  The whole article is good and highlights the difficulties states are having and the so far inconsistent help they are getting.  

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/29/21198704/emergency-covid-19-supplies-fema-states-federal-government

There is a mechanism by which the federal government could help states overcome these difficulties — essentially, by working, despite what Trump has said, as a shipping clerk. As Vox’s Alex Ward explained, the Defense Production Act (DPA) allows the government to procure badly needed resources and to direct production to resolve supply shortages:

The federal government could get involved and place an order for masks, which would get fulfilled first because a DPA order takes priority over all others. Then, because the government knows which areas have the most need for those masks, it can distribute them appropriately.

... [To fill those orders, companies are] going to need additional materials and may be hampered in their efforts if they can’t get those materials.

Again, this is where the DPA comes in: The federal government can find other sources of those materials and then put in an order to have the company sell the materials to the federal government instead of using them to make their own products.

... Finally, there may be a company that wants to help build something — say, respirators — but doesn’t have the machinery or capital to do so. If the federal government thinks that company could be useful, it might give a loan or offer equipment under DPA so production can begin right away. That accelerates that company’s ability to help right now.

Trump has begun using the DPA in an extremely limited fashion. Its broader use could go a long way toward helping state officials access the materials they need, however. But with no guarantee that federal assistance is at the ready, states may have to continue their efforts to figure out how to protect their own — even if that’s to the detriment of the collective United States.

• Premium Member

Uuuuummmmm:waiting:....C'mon people get it together! The lack of a centralized coordinated effort speaking with one voice is............SMH.

The Pentagon has not shipped out any of the 2,000 ventilators it offered to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) earlier this month because HHS has not yet provided a shipping location, multiple outlets reported on Tuesday.

Though the Defense Department had planned to deliver an initial 1,000 ventilators, HHS asked the department to wait, Lt. Gen. Giovanni Tuck, the Pentagon's top logistics official, told a small group of reporters.

"There was discussion with HHS on where to send them, and then they said, 'Hey. Wait. We're trying to take a look at the demand that's required,' and so we were asked to just wait while there was just some sorting through," Tuck said, according to CNN.

HHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/defense/490484-pentagon-has-not-yet-sent-2000-ventilators-due-to-lack-of-shipment-location%3famp

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

Apologies to any who replied to my comments in this thread yesterday if you replied with comment or question, but as the conversation began to seem to swerve over into the very hyperpoliticism lane I was explicitly intending to avoid, I decided to abandon it... I've said as much as it's worth saying, and whether people agree or don't agree with what I thought worth saying, it's rather hypocritical on my part to continue in that vein regardless. While I prefer hypocrisy to heathenism, I more prefer to just avoid both as best I can.

So, I don't intend to come back to this thread unless lightning of some kind strikes, but wrapping up my contribution to it, I want to repeat my gratitude to those of you who expressed your condolences for our family. My wife is such a trooper, having lost her best friend in life, her older brother (which I really don't mind at all playing 2nd fiddle to, he was just a great guy), not being able to be in Phils to be with family to grieve (though making full use of Facetime, for sure), and hopping back on her horse and riding back into the dialysis clinic yesterday to pull another 12 hours in the war zone (you may or may not be aware, but being a dialysis patient is the 2nd biggest risk factor for coronavirus mortality according to what I read last week)... I just respect the hell out of her. This is hard stuff. And then, to have a patient yesterday show up and stop breathing while on-site, and come home and have to practice isolation precautions as a result. *sigh*

If you're a believer in a higher intelligence, as I am, hope you'll join the 9 pm (eastern) pause for prayer. I do believe that there is some gainful purpose in all this. And/but like anyone else, I believe there is value in connecting with God to express the want for this painful episode to subside as quickly as possible. Does it help to have a specific time for everyone to do it? Wouldn't pretend to know. But it just feels good to think some of us are approaching heaven's throne in a unified voice.

Back to basketball.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, sturt said:

So, I don't intend to come back to this thread unless lightning of some kind strikes, but wrapping up my contribution to it, I want to repeat my gratitude to those of you who expressed your condolences for our family. My wife is such a trooper, having lost her best friend in life, her older brother (which I really don't mind at all playing 2nd fiddle to, he was just a great guy), not being able to be in Phils to be with family to grieve (though making full use of Facetime, for sure), and hopping back on her horse and riding back into the dialysis clinic yesterday to pull another 12 hours in the war zone (you may or may not be aware, but being a dialysis patient is the 2nd biggest risk factor for coronavirus mortality according to what I read last week)... I just respect the hell out of her. This is hard stuff. And then, to have a patient yesterday show up and stop breathing while on-site, and come home and have to practice isolation precautions as a result. *sigh*

Medical professionals are strong people and in a noble cause but they are bigger heroes than ever in this unbelievable fight. Am sorry for your wife and what you are going through with this. Will start counting my blessings being able to hunker down outside of city limits at home with my better half. Hope you guys do stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see how sports are possible until this goes away. Even if you test and clear everyone associated with the sport and play without fans, you're not going to be able to keep the entire league quarantined. It only takes one person to sink the whole ship.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wimbeldon just got cancelled.

Read that it is the first time since WWII that Wimdeldon has shut down. One of the WHO directors stated this pandemic is the biggest crisis since WWII so its a really bad theme moving forward.

• Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Apologies to any who replied to my comments in this thread yesterday if you replied with comment or question, but as the conversation began to seem to swerve over into the very hyperpoliticism lane I was explicitly intending to avoid, I decided to abandon it... I've said as much as it's worth saying, and whether people agree or don't agree with what I thought worth saying, it's rather hypocritical on my part to continue in that vein regardless. While I prefer hypocrisy to heathenism, I more prefer to just avoid both as best I can.

If you're a believer in a higher intelligence, as I am, hope you'll join the 9 pm (eastern) pause for prayer. I do believe that there is some gainful purpose in all this. And/but like anyone else, I believe there is value in connecting with God to express the want for this painful episode to subside as quickly as possible. Does it help to have a specific time for everyone to do it? Wouldn't pretend to know. But it just feels good to think some of us are approaching heaven's throne in a unified voice.

Back to basketball.

Thanks @sturt.  Best of luck with everything.  I wouldn't even describe myself as traditionally religious but i know prayer works.   I'm praying for the best possible outcomes for your family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, High5 said:

I don't see how sports are possible until this goes away. Even if you test and clear everyone associated with the sport and play without fans, you're not going to be able to keep the entire league quarantined. It only takes one person to sink the whole ship.

May 1st is going to be an interesting time.

By that time, I truly believe that the stock market will be around 2010 or 2011 levels ( 10,000 ). The virus ( from a daily death standpoint ) should be near or over 2,000 per day. 

It'll be interesting to see if the President simply tells the nation . . . "Look, we cannot survive like this. We just have to ride this sucker out and keep everything going. Go back to work."

At that point, people will have to make decisions.  Do you still practice social distancing?  Do you go to ANY place or event with a crowd?  What do you do?

Also by this time, the data collected ( or should be collected ) on who/what is highest at risk ( according to what the data says ), should be open to everyone.

So say on June 1st, here's what the data says:

• Virus will infect 15% of the population ( a little higher than the flu infection rate . . . 8%, according to the CDC )
  • 15% of that 15% will be hospitalized
  • 0.7% out of that 15% will die from it, with seniors and people with ( insert other medical condition here ) most at risk.
  • Virus is highly transmissible when in a crowd

Does the public go to sporting activities under those conditions?

Once again, here is the State Farm scenario

• 16,000 at a Hawks game
  • 15% of 16,000 = 2,400 will get the virus
  • Out of that 2,400, 15% will be hospitalized = 360 people 
  • Out of that 2,400, 0.7% will die = 17 people

If that's the potential cost of going to a Hawks game, do fans still go?

That's why coming out of this, I want to see a lot of measures put in place that can protect people going into venues, without completely disrupting everyday life.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Back to basketball.

Wait, so you mean you don't want another long, contrived free market vs. government debate? Those never get old.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

May 1st is going to be an interesting time.

By that time, I truly believe that the stock market will be around 2010 or 2011 levels ( 10,000 ). The virus ( from a daily death standpoint ) should be near or over 2,000 per day. 

It'll be interesting to see if the President simply tells the nation . . . "Look, we cannot survive like this. We just have to ride this sucker out and keep everything going. Go back to work."

At that point, people will have to make decisions.  Do you still practice social distancing?  Do you go to ANY place or event with a crowd?  What do you do?

Also by this time, the data collected ( or should be collected ) on who/what is highest at risk ( according to what the data says ), should be open to everyone.

So say on June 1st, here's what the data says:

• Virus will infect 15% of the population ( a little higher than the flu infection rate . . . 8%, according to the CDC )
  • 15% of that 15% will be hospitalized
  • 0.7% out of that 15% will die from it, with seniors and people with ( insert other medical condition here ) most at risk.
  • Virus is highly transmissible when in a crowd

Does the public go to sporting activities under those conditions?

Once again, here is the State Farm scenario

• 16,000 at a Hawks game
  • 15% of 16,000 = 2,400 will get the virus
  • Out of that 2,400, 15% will be hospitalized = 360 people 
  • Out of that 2,400, 0.7% will die = 17 people

If that's the potential cost of going to a Hawks game, do fans still go?

That's why coming out of this, I want to see a lot of measures put in place that can protect people going into venues, without completely disrupting everyday life.

In theory, but it's an extremely fluid situation. There are a lot of variables. But yes by May 1st, there will be more clarity, be it good or bad.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 7:34 PM, cam1218 said:

Calling out @TheNorthCydeRises and @KB21 or anyone else who follows this way better than I do. 

What are your initial thoughts on the possible hydroxychloroquine/chloroquine or leronlimab to help treat this? Or anything else that I might have missed browsing the webs the last few days.

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. 

I say you let others be the initial test subjects, before taking some experimental drug.  I guess if you become seriously ill from Corona, and the doctors are simply trying to keep you comfortable, your willingness to try the drugs would be higher.  But I've seen too many movies in which the first test subjects turned into zombies . . lol.

But yeah, in all seriousness, all I know about those drugs is what I've been reading about them.

Here's an article from a medical website on those drugs.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764199/use-hydroxychloroquine-chloroquine-during-covid-19-pandemic-what-every-clinician

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Remember, the number of cases/deaths pretty much double every 3 to 4 days, So expect 300,000+ infected with 4,500 deaths . . . by next Saturday.

Did I say by next Saturday?

It's Wednesday now . . and we're at 205,000 cases but already at 4,500 deaths.  That puts the death rate from confirmed cases at 2.2%.  And the numbers are pretty much doubling every 4 days.  That's why we need to slow the rate of infection starting this week, to see if it will see the death numbers start to decline by April ( which by then, we'll be happy to see 800 deaths in a day, instead of 2,000 ).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
On 3/30/2020 at 9:19 PM, Sothron said:

I don't want this to be political but since we've crossed the Rubicon on that already on this thread I will say this and leave it alone.

Unless you are financially independent you are out of your mind to vote Republican. Always, ALWAYS vote in your economic best interest. Everything else in life is trivial compared to your ability to provide for yourself and your family both now and in the future.

This pandemic has ripped the wool from people's eyes on how paper thin our country actually runs.  

You dont understand that the democrats want to be dictators?    I've held office in my county.  I would never vote Democrat.  Your choice and mine just adding my 2 cents.  

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. 

I say you let others be the initial test subjects, before taking some experimental drug.  I guess if you become seriously ill from Corona, and the doctors are simply trying to keep you comfortable, your willingness to try the drugs would be higher.  But I've seen too many movies in which the first test subjects turned into zombies . . lol.

But yeah, in all seriousness, all I know about those drugs is what I've been reading about them.

Here's an article from a medical website on those drugs.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764199/use-hydroxychloroquine-chloroquine-during-covid-19-pandemic-what-every-clinician

I’ve read a small amount, it seems hopeful from what I’ve seen but too early to really tell. And it is drugs that have been used to treat other illnesses, so it’s not like it is new. It isn’t a cure, but if something can stop the bad symptoms that cause death..that really is our best bet right now. While we wait on a vaccine, I just hope we find something to help limit the severity of it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, High5 said:

Game changer  (pun intended)...

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/rapid-coronavirus-diagnostic-test-provide-results-minutes/story?id=69875037

2020-04-01_2313

Over 1,000 people died from the virus Wednesday. Am just more stunned each and every day.

The U.S. topped 1,000 coronavirus deaths in a single day for the first time Wednesday, a daily death toll more than double that of two of America's most deadly illnesses, lung cancer and the flu. Death counts from the virus are difficult to keep up to date, but the Johns Hopkins coronavirus database sources include the World Health Organization, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the European CDC and the National Health Commission of China. The U.S. hit 1,040 cases Wednesday at 10:25 p.m. ET. Since the virus' first appearance in the U.S. in late January, 5,116 people have died and more than 215,000 have been infected.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/more-than-1000-in-us-die-in-a-single-day-from-coronavirus-doubling-the-worst-daily-death-toll-of-the-flu/ar-BB122UBy?li=BBnb7Kz