• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter: The Steady Eddy

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Biggest news of the day isn't that Huerter signed an extension. It's that there's some reason Schlenk signed a wing to that 15th roster slot, and that we know they spent the preseason monitoring swelling of Dre's knee after games.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, sturt said:

Biggest news of the day isn't that Huerter signed an extension. It's that there's some reason Schlenk signed a wing to that 15th roster slot, and that we know they spent the preseason monitoring swelling of Dre's knee after games.

We are right where we were in terms of bigs last season.  Instead of Bruno we have Dieng and OO is again starting the season injured.  We now have Jalen Johnson in the Nathan Knight role.

TLC is taking the Tony Snell spot.

Expect Collins and Gallo to see time at Center until OO returns - just like last season.

(Dre may be on minutes restriction and/or not play back to backs)

• Like 2

• Premium Member

“We feel like we can be elite defensively,” Collins said. “We have length. We have youth. We have athleticism. Now we have some experience. We’re trying to put that all together and let it sit and jell well. I feel like the one big thing we were missing (last season) was true chemistry, a true feel for playing with one another throughout the season. If we stay healthy and build that chemistry, we’re going to be an elite defensive team.”

Hunter’s ability to guard as well as he does on the ball allows Collins and Clint Capela to control the paint because the other guys don’t have to come over and help. When and if the ball does get into the paint, defenses are forced to collapse, which then snowballs into open 3s and poor rebounding positioning. Dallas shot 13-of-34 in the paint against the Hawks.

Thursday was a master class in defense from the Hawks and a continuation of where they left off in the playoffs after leveling up on that end. Collins has shown continual growth defensively in the frontcourt. He’s gone from a question mark to someone who McMillan trusts to guard three positions. In limited minutes last season, when Collins, Hunter and Capela shared the floor, those lineups allowed only 95.5 points per 100 possessions, per Cleaning The Glass.

What should be frightening for Hawks opponents is that Atlanta could have a four-man group of Hunter, Reddish, Collins and Capela on the floor together this season, a lineup McMillan wants to see more often and one that features the team’s two best wing defenders and two best frontcourt defenders.

“I’m playing Dre at the four a little bit more,” McMillan said. “I see him playing some four for us this season, which will allow us to put out a lineup with a lot of length out there with John, Cam and Clint. That’s a team that you can switch with. Dre is strong enough to guard some fours, and he can handle the ball. We can really do some things when he’s at that position. With Clint being on a restriction and (Danilo Gallinari) being out, I had to go to another combination. What I wanted to take a look at was Dre playing a little bit more of the four.”

Positional versatility is something general manager Travis Schlenk has preached for years. He believes the more players you can have on the floor who can play numerous positions, who can handle the ball, who can shoot the ball at a high level, the more dangerous your team can be in the postseason. That’s what the Hawks have right now. That should give opposing teams nightmares.

Also scary: Perhaps this is the year Reddish finally breaks out. He finished with 20 points on 7-of-15 shooting. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrell said:

Deandre Hunter + Cam Reddish = WingStop

LMAO…Love it! I’m using that ….happens to be one of my fav places to eat.

Hunter and Reddish duo official name is Wingstop!…created right here on the squawk…fits right in with lemon pepper Lou.