• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Cavaliers

lethalweapon3

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Just gotta grit yer teeth and laugh, macd.  Laugh like I laugh when I see Gallinari floundering into off-balance, dumb-a** shots and remember eggsperts claiming he made Collins expendable.

100.webp?cid=ecf05e471mcuat1iwmt7c1ucpoj

Has a quality NBA player ever gone to complete shit over night? We have the worst luck with everything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Has a quality NBA player ever gone to complete shit over night? We have the worst luck with everything.

I get that he's another who's being asked to do more due to injuries.  But dang man, have some professional pride.

And how in the world is, for example, Trae considered the worst defender in the league when guys like Gallinari are still drawing breath?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Crummy day to be a Hawks fan.   I was so pissed about Trae not making the all star game and then they fold to the Cavs?   And not only do they fold blow an easy game but it took boneheaded plays from like 5 guys to make it happen.   

I love Trae but after throwing up 30 shots you're going to pass the ball to snell with 1 second on the clock?   good lord.   Almost seemed like we threw the game to be honest.  

Trae's explanation:

“I saw how many people were around me,” Young said, explaining why he didn’t shoot. “That’s something I have to feel. I have to look up at the clock and know that there wasn’t enough time to get a pass and shot, but I saw Tony open and I knew we had four seconds left, so I thought I had a couple of dribbles and a pass to get it to him. It’s something I can get better at and learn from.”

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree with this but this is what good coaching is supposed to overcome.   If you have Magic, Worthy, Kareem out there then anyone can coach but there aren't enough of those types of guys.

I've come to realize that some people think of coaches as fans with great seats.  Responsibility all falls on the player.

• Premium Member

This pretty much sums up the game:

Where should we start?

Shall we start with Clint Capela missing a wide-open look at the rim after slipping a screen and receiving an on-target pass from Trae Young and missing a layup to possibly put the Hawks ahead by seven with four minutes left?

Shall we start with Tony Snell letting Darius Garland blow past him forcing Capela to step, leaving Jarrett Allen unguarded for an easy putback with under four minutes to play?

Shall we start with Capela missing two free throws with under three minutes to play and a chance to go up seven?

Shall we start with a horribly defended possession with 2:30 left in which the Hawks just left Collin Sexton open for a wide-open 3 to cut the lead to two with 2:27 to play?

Shall we start with coach Lloyd Pierce challenging a clear blocking foul on Hill with 1:51 left, costing the Hawks a timeout?

Shall we start with Young inexplicably dribbling toward the sideline, forcing the Hawks to burn their final timeout?

Shall we start with Pierce subbing in Danilo Gallinari, the team’s worst defender, for Capela up one with 19 seconds to play when the Cavaliers didn’t have to foul?

Shall we start with Young taking a tough runner from the free-throw line over Allen with seven seconds left on the shot clock and only 14 seconds left in the game?

Shall we start with Hill bewilderingly and aggressively stepping up in front of Snell, causing complete chaos, leaving Lamar Stevens a wide-open lane to the rim?

Shall we start with Gallinari not stepping up after identifying that Stevens was at the free-throw line with 5.7 seconds left and no one was in front of him?

Shall we start with Young not looking at the shot clock to see he had only four seconds left before passing to Snell in the corner with under one second left, leaving the Hawks no time to get a shot off?

Shall we mention that this is the 10th game the Hawks have lost this season in which they’ve led in the fourth quarter?

Shall we mention the Hawks are 0-8 in games decided by six points or fewer?

Shall we mention the Cavaliers had lost 10 straight games entering Tuesday’s game?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He knew the clock, just miscalculated the timing:

"I knew we had four seconds left, so I thought I had a couple of dribbles and a pass to get it to him."

I can't even understand this sentence.   How long does he think a couple dribbles and a pass take?   

• Like 3

And, while we're talking 'bout Gallinari .... how 'bout forcing Snell to take a foul to stop the play since Gallinari had lost his shoe and, instead of putting his fkng shoe back on, he chose to b*tch at the refs over a call he didn't deserve and was never going to get overturned?

Did I forget to mention the Cavs were in the penalty so the forced-foul gave them shots late in the game?

I guess Pierce should've "coached" Gallinari to not be an idiot in that moment?  Press the "Z" button next time, I guess.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Not having a time out really hurt us there. 

We blew 2 timeouts and had a costly foul: the Hill challenge, Trae stepping on the sidelines and the foul Snell took for 'Galoo' (this is my new name for him, just cause) losing his shoe (Cavs were in the bonus).

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm starting to see the problem.  You make sense to only yourself and you expect other to understand WTF you are talking about.  Duly noted

I'm starting to see the problem.  You only want to see the coach fired.  Nothing else makes sense to you and you expect others to agree with whatever TF you are talking about.  Duly noted

(ETA: The funny thing is you and I agree on basically everything except this one issue.  It's pretty hilarious.)

Edited by kg01

45 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Agreed.  Scathing indictment of everyone.  This game was lost well before the last few minutes.

Hawks played around all game long.  Didn't deserve to win.  Game shouldn't have been close.

I agree, but sometimes you win games you don't deserve to win.  I'm not going to excuse bad decisions by LP just because the players also have culpability.