• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins - Max kat, 90 million-4yrs kat, or Gallo salary kat

NBASupes

• Premium Member

In my best Di ck Enberg....

OHHH MYYYYYYY.

I mean, it's not dramatically different from the 26m AAV I'd presumed, but it's enough to merit an "oh my."

That would say to me that JC's undeniably a team player through and through. Think he could get more in SAS, if not other places.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

IIRC, his max from another team assuming a starting salary of $28 mil (25% of $112) tops out at 4years $120.6 million (5% raises each year). 

The question is, will another team actually offer that. I say no. I think he would get a starting salary in the $23 mil range from another team.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So he and Trae will be our 2 5yr guys, I guess?

Not a bad deal, imeo. 

I think only Trae will get 'The 5yr Rookie Designation Deal' where if he makes ALL NBA, he can get 30% of the cap. JC will be at the 25% of the cap or less.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Looking like we may get JC back on a 5 year / $120 Million deal. AAV of $24 Million per.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2021/7/31/22603356/atlanta-hawks-john-collins-free-agency-news-rumors-resign-lou-williams-nba-spurs-mavericks

The article says:

1. Exceeds $120 mil

2. 'north' of $120 mil

.....by how much is the question.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think only Trae will get 'The 5yr Rookie Designation Deal' where if he makes ALL NBA, he can get 30% of the cap. JC will be at the 25% of the cap or less.

I thought only 2 dudes can be on 5yr deals?

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

I thought only 2 dudes can be on 5yr deals?

You can only have 2 'Designated Rookie Type Deals'.  That I know.

I guess the question is can a team sign a player to a 'regular' 5 year contract? 🤷.  I'll have to check. Or Someone can jump in and verify 

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You can only have 2 'Designated Rookie Type Deals'.  That I know.

I guess the question is can a team sign a player to a 'regular' 5 year contract? 🤷.  I'll have to check. Or Someone can jump in and verify 

Maybe one of our insiders ..

:blinkblinkblink

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Since the 2011 CBA, each NBA team has been able to nominate a player on his rookie contract to receive a "Designated Player" contract extension. A Designated Player is eligible for a 5-year contract extension, instead of being held to the standard 4-year restriction.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

More:

The Designated Rookie Rule:

The designated rookie rule allows a team to sign a player entering the fourth year of his rookie scale contract to a longer extension than usual. NBA contracts are typically limited to five total years, which means a player with one season left on his rookie contract could only get four new years tacked onto that deal. However, the designated rookie rule allows a team to give a player five new years on an extension, for a total of six years.

So it does not appear as if JC qualifies based on the 'entering the 4th year' line.

This needs a lawyer. My head hurts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More:

The Designated Rookie Rule:

The designated rookie rule allows a team to sign a player entering the fourth year of his rookie scale contract to a longer extension than usual. NBA contracts are typically limited to five total years, which means a player with one season left on his rookie contract could only get four new years tacked onto that deal. However, the designated rookie rule allows a team to give a player five new years on an extension, for a total of six years.

So it does not appear as if JC qualifies based on the 'entering the 4th year' line.

This needs a lawyer. My head hurts.

But the Pelicans were able to sign Brandon Ingram to a 5 year max last offseason, even though he and the Pelicans weren't able to come to an agreement prior to the start of 2019-20 NBA Season.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

But the Pelicans were able to sign Brandon Ingram to a 5 year max last offseason, even though he and the Pelicans weren't able to come to an agreement prior to the start of 2019-20 NBA Season.

Yes he signed a 5yr deal (no Rookie Designation).

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes he signed a 5yr deal (no Rookie Designation).

I don't understand the difference. Does that mean a team can have an unlimited amount of 5 year deals as long as they own those players bird rights?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I don't understand the difference. Does that mean a team can have an unlimited amount of 5 year deals as long as they own those players bird rights?

Lawyer Needed!!!!

The difference as I understand standard 5 year max is 25% of the Cap.

Designed rookie max which canapply  to Trae as an early signee is 30% of the cap provided he makes an All NBA team.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

So he and Trae will be our 2 5yr guys, I guess?

Not a bad deal, imeo. 

I can't find anything on it definitively either, but I'm pretty sure we are limited to having a max of two 5-year contracts. 

If true, I don't like it at all that JC would be our other one. And wouldn't that make it more difficult to trade him down the road, if the team acquiring him could only have 1 other 5-year already?