• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins - Max kat, 90 million-4yrs kat, or Gallo salary kat

NBASupes

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Both??  Never saw that one before.

Seems like it's been done before, but rarely.  I just thought it was beneficial to both under certain circumstances.  I'll take a $1 commission if it happens!  

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Seems like it's been done before, but rarely.  I just thought it was beneficial to both under certain circumstances.  I'll take a $1 commission if it happens!  

I know it happens in MLB, just don't remember it in the NBA.  

• Premium Member

Larry Coon:

There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

• Premium Member

Sounds like John Collins, no?

It might’ve been true [that I was offered more money elsewhere], but I didn’t listen to anybody else. I didn’t hear no other offers. I wanted to make it work down here in        Tampa. We’ve got something special going down here, man. And I don’t want to let greed be the reason why I don’t take advantage of this opportunity down here. We love the fan support. And I’m just ready to keep building. I love my coaches. I love the organization — everything is like a match made in heaven down here, man. And I won’t let trying to get a little more money change that.”

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We can only give two players, 5 year options. Trae is obviously 1. Hunter, Reddish or Okongwu is 2. 

I see it being a battle between Hunter and Reddish.  OO may make a push in a few years though. His defense is superb.

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

This was a team defense breakdown, but I want y'all to see how many times John was making the right defensive reads.

This was the game where people were saying he should have stepped up more. But that's ignoring what he was able to do defensively. Clint is supposed to be the defensive captain, but you see John barking at his teammates.

There was a sequence in the 1st quarter where he was on Giannis in the post, slid in front of him to get the steal, and after the break was able to find Capela for a lob dunk after attacking a close out.

This was a game where he scored 4 points, but had the highest plus minus on the team at +26 in a game that was won by 22. In only 29 mins, which was 2nd fewest of the starters, he was making a winning impact beyond the stat sheet.

He does not get enough credit for being a team player on both ends. 

Great watch. Same video also shows Bogi's physicality and active hands on defense, which was really Dunn-esque in the playoffs. Both he and Collins are underrated defenders.

Personally, I'm coming around to the notion that we pay Collins what it takes to keep him here and move Capela next summer (assuming Okongwu continues to develop defensively the way he did late this season), when 75% of Gallo's salary will also be coming off the books. Between JC's defensive improvements, his certified ability to stretch the floor, and the intangibles that Chris Kirschner went on about in his writeup, I think the risk in letting him walk--or, frankly, doing any realistic sign-and-trade--outweighs the risk of overpaying him. Even if he never learns how to dribble.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I actually watched another "pundit" talk about John Collins.  His age and efficiency may net him a max contract offer. 

It was a scoff when I first heard it... but then... His 56% FG% and his 40% from 3... for a PF is very attractive to teams that need scoring from the 4 position.   The discussion was GMs being willing to shell out that type of money for JC.   

Well, that being the case, we need to prepare to match.  I guess that's what the owners were talking about. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The real question is do we beat these other teams to the punch with our own offer?

Something like a 5 year 122 Million dollar deal?  Starts at about 21 Million for us.  Give him an option after the 3rd year. 

On 7/14/2021 at 4:53 AM, niremetal said:

Great watch. Same video also shows Bogi's physicality and active hands on defense, which was really Dunn-esque in the playoffs. Both he and Collins are underrated defenders.

Something about that game 4, the entire team came out with an aggressive mindset on defense, like "WE" are going to be the bullies tonight. Guys were physical, active, and everyone was locked in on their man while in perfect position to help.

I have not seen team defense like that since Thabo was on the floor with DMC and the gang back in 14-15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

But no one here checks quite as many boxes as John Collins.

In fact, of all the attributes analyzed for players 15 through 2, playmaking may be the only one Collins hasn't already proved himself to have. And since he turns 24 in September, it's safe to say there's still time to improve in that area.

Other than that, Collins really can sort of shapeshift from one big-man archetype to another.

He's an explosive leaper who can catch lobs out of pick-and-rolls or score on putbacks. He's hit 40.0 percent on 3.4 three-point attempts per game over the last two seasons. And he's averaged at least one block in three of his four NBA campaigns.

When you put it all together, he has a statistical profile that puts him in pretty elite company. Joel Embiid and Karl-Anthony Towns are the only other players in league history to average at least 20 points, 10 rebounds, one block and one three per 75 possessions through their age-23 seasons (Nikola Jokic barely missed out with 0.9 blocks).

Of course, adding the threes qualifier pretty much eliminates any big man who played prior to this era, but maybe that actually helps to better illustrate the point.

In today's game, bigs are generally asked to bring a wider array of skills to the floor, and Collins does just that.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946181-ranking-the-top-15-bigs-in-2021-nba-free-agency

• Like 4