John Collins - Max kat, 90 million-4yrs kat, or Gallo salary kat

NBASupes

33 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I don't understand the difference. Does that mean a team can have an unlimited amount of 5 year deals as long as they own those players bird rights?

I'm pretty sure what it's saying is that a player who's played three years and is not yet a free agent can be given a 5 year extension via the "Designated Player" exception. That applies to Trae.

Anyone else who's getting a new contract and not an extension can get a contract up to 5 years. But we'll have to let them go into restricted free agency and explore their options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I can't find anything on it definitively either, but I'm pretty sure we are limited to having a max of two 5-year contracts. 

If true, I don't like it at all that JC would be our other one. And wouldn't that make it more difficult to trade him down the road, if the team acquiring him could only have 1 other 5-year already? 

Pretty sure the restriction would be based on the percentage of the cap, not the duration of the contract. Like if we had a 3 players who would command a max salary we'd essentially have to commit 75% (25% * 3) of the cap to 3 players. We'd be allowed to give all three 5 year deals, but two would have to hit RFA if they want a 5 year deal.

75% of the cap going to 3 players makes it difficult to build the rest of your team no matter what kind of bargains you have elsewhere on the roster. If the ownership is willing to pay luxury tax, then we can keep everyone. Based on Ressler's comments, it seems like we could pay some, but there is a limit. Hopefully a new T.V. deal in the near future could allow us to keep the team together if the timing is right.

47 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I can't find anything on it definitively either, but I'm pretty sure we are limited to having a max of two 5-year contracts. 

If true, I don't like it at all that JC would be our other one. And wouldn't that make it more difficult to trade him down the road, if the team acquiring him could only have 1 other 5-year already? 

Perhaps.   I'll wait til the terms are out before I get all hot 'n bothered about it though.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JTB said:

Sounds like JC has resigned for $120 mil . Sports Illustrated reporting.

He can't agree to anything until Aug. 2nd, much less sign anything until Aug. 6th. So no. 

Everyone is regurgitating the same news.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

So he and Trae will be our 2 5yr guys, I guess?

Not a bad deal, imeo. 

About the 5 year thing...Davis Bertans signed a 5yr/$80 mil deal last year. 

So as long as it's not a rookie designation it should not be an issue (I think).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Davis Bertans

Oh man. He would be awesome in our system. The Latvian laser got range like no big man ever. Seriously he just runs off screens and needs a millisecond to let it fly and more often that not it’s pretty accurate.

1 minute ago, High5 said:

I don't love the idea of paying JC over $20 million a year, but I feel like it would be worse to let him walk. A worse version (on paper) of our current roster was 2 games away form the Finals. Gotta run it back. 

For me, it's not even about running it back.

It's just the appropriate thing to do right now.

• Like 3

I'm in the camp of resigning Collins no matter what.  He was very important to our run and his ability to finish AND stretch the floor really helps our offense.  If we need to shed salary, trade Gallo.  If Hunter/Reddish/Heurter continue to develop and command that kind of money also than we can trade Collins at that time.  I don't see Collins losing value as a player in the next 4-5 years, he will be 27 on the last year of his contract and playing with Trae will always ensure his numbers are efficient, so we will be able to trade him if needed.

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think only Trae will get 'The 5yr Rookie Designation Deal' where if he makes ALL NBA, he can get 30% of the cap. JC will be at the 25% of the cap or less.

Trae wont make ALL NBA anytime soon imo..The coaches  and media are Trae haters. I mean, they left him off the AllStar team..

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
Just now, terrell said:

Trae wont make ALL NBA anytime soon imo..The coaches  and media are Trae haters. I mean, they left him off the AllStar team..

When the Hawks have another successful season, he will not be denied. :angry:

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

About the 5 year thing...Davis Bertans signed a 5yr/$80 mil deal last year. 

So as long as it's not a rookie designation it should not be an issue (I think).

Wiz have to be sick about this..You have to be careful handing out 5 year deals to players as old as Bertans. I mean how much is he going to improve?