• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021-2022 Post/In- Between Game Thread: Thoughts, Updates, Tidbits etc.

JayBirdHawk

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Call me when they play a healthy team!

It's easy to apply defensive pressure when key people are missing.  If Smart plays last night, does Jimmy go for 41 (with what 16 FTA)??  If Horford plays last night, does Bam get to sit back and play defensive back like he has in the last two series with missing Centers?  The road to the Finals have been paved with injured teams for Miami.   This is worse than the Bubble.

This is the only season where injuries affected the playoffs, got it.  In your mind Giannis and whoever wins this year should have an asterisk because Kawhi wasn’t available.  I’ll remind you the Warriors swept a conference finals missing KD.  People act like missing a key player relegates you to playing 4 on 5.  Complaining about Clint and John WHILE THEY WERE OUT THERE ain’t even something I would entertain.  You’ve been watching the NBA long enough to know there are advantages to be found even in the absence of a focal player (y’all need to stop using “superstar” that sh*t is stale this ain’t Hollywood)  

Many posters here wouldn’t mind Danny Green and Mitchell Robinson on the Hawks’ roster but I’m the only person I recall even mentioning their absences during last seasons run.  Apologies to anyone else who had.

Making excuses against a team that is hell bent on better health and conditioning than their opponent with an undersized C and 4 undrafted rotational players?  Is it their fault they can still function optimally with Vincent starting?  You’ll do better just sitting back, getting some popcorn, and listing all the things that Jimmy and Bam do on the floor to dominate.  I’ll check your work and show all that you missed.  Expand your horizons beyond spamming middle PNR and unbalanced team defense.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

This is the only season where injuries affected the playoffs, got it.  In your mind Giannis and whoever wins this year should have an asterisk because Kawhi wasn’t available.  I’ll remind you the Warriors swept a conference finals missing KD.  People act like missing a key player relegates you to playing 4 on 5.  Complaining about Clint and John WHILE THEY WERE OUT THERE ain’t even something I would entertain.  You’ve been watching the NBA long enough to know there are advantages to be found even in the absence of a focal player (y’all need to stop using “superstar” that sh*t is stale this ain’t Hollywood)  

Many posters here wouldn’t mind Danny Green and Mitchell Robinson on the Hawks’ roster but I’m the only person I recall even mentioning their absences during last seasons run.  Apologies to anyone else who had.

Making excuses against a team that is hell bent on better health and conditioning than their opponent with an undersized C and 4 undrafted rotational players?  You’ll do better just sitting back, getting some popcorn, and listing all the things that Jimmy and Bam do on the floor to dominate.  I’ll check your work and show all that you missed.  Expand your horizons beyond spamming middle PNR and unbalanced team defense.

Thank you. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Making excuses against a team that is hell bent on better health and conditioning than their opponent with an undersized C and 4 undrafted rotational players?  You’ll do better just sitting back, getting some popcorn, and listing all the things that Jimmy and Bam do on the floor to dominate.  I’ll check your work and show all that you missed.  Expand your horizons beyond spamming middle PNR and unbalanced team defense.

I don't disagree.. There has always been injuries that have helped teams win.  I believe that Cleveland was very fortunate to win their championship because Draymond was conned into his last technical and Bogut got hurt. 

I think the whole Bubble championship is an Asterisk with a joke. 

Brooklyn beats Milwaukee last year without injury. 

However, I'm forced to look at the fact that Miami has played us with 2 starters missing.   Philly with no Embiid and then no Danny Green.  And Now Boston missing two starters. 

I have heard Butler be compared to Jordan because of what he did last night.. whereas we all know that if Smart plays, it's a different game.   The last time Smart played Butler in a series, he held him to 23% shooting. 

So this is what it comes down to BH...  If it doesn't matter who gets out on the court, why pay players differently?  I mean, why pay Trae 205 Million dollars and Kev 50 Million?  Shouldn't they make the same thing??  I mean, if Trae is out, shouldn't Kev be able to produce at the same level as Trae...

Or better yet, shouldn't no-Knox be a flawless replacement for JC?

This is the point, starters are starters because they are better than the guys on the bench (normally)... so when you have a starter that goes down.. team chemistry is effected greatly.  Miami has had the luxury of playing everybody in the playoffs missing a starter.   If you forgot, OO was on a slide coming into the playoffs.  He had hit his rookie wall. 

Here is OO's splits for this year by Month:

Split Value G GS MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   FG% 3P% FT%   TS% USG% ORtg DRtg +/-   MP PTS TRB AST
Month December 3 1 67 12 17 0 0 7 7 6 17 4 2 6 4 12 31   .706   1.000   .772 16.4 138 108 +5.4   22.2 10.3 5.7 1.3
  January 15 5 351 58 79 0 0 27 40 35 94 15 9 22 17 48 143   .734   .675   .740 14.5 135 113 +9.1   23.4 9.5 6.3 1.0
  February 10 0 187 31 41 0 0 14 19 21 43 15 8 12 11 29 76   .756   .737   .770 14.0 139 112 +6.1   18.7 7.6 4.3 1.5
  March 15 0 289 44 72 0 0 26 36 45 99 13 7 16 8 46 114   .611   .722   .649 14.4 141 114 +1.2   19.3 7.6 6.6 0.9
  April 5 0 98 11 17 0 0 6 8 8 30 6 5 4 4 14 28   .647   .750   .682 10.9 132 110 +5.7   19.7 5.6 6.0 1.2

For the month of april, his numbes were down.   We all acknowledged that he needs a summer to get it together.   Then all the sudden he's thrusted into the C position starter.   And you wonder why Bam could be the third defender on Trae?  Because OO is not fluent in the PNR.  He's coming off of a slump month... thrust into the C position and Miami leaves him unguarded because they know he can't shoot.

Any other time, JC would be there to take the pressure off of Trae and provide a back door play...  Nope.. JC's hurt too.

But in BH's world, this means that Miami has such a culture of playing defense.   Give me a break.. if I get into a fight with a one legged man, you best believe I'm going to trip his ass up and stomp him out...   Does that make me Chuck Norris?  Bruce Lee?   Jon Jones?  Am I some great tactician?  Nope... Just fortunate and smart enough to apply the right tactic at the right time. 

It's funny how it works the same way right?  Terrell starts being critical in the middle of the game and by the end of the game...

Leaving GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Nope.. They didnt look overmatched like us..We couldnt do anything offensively is what I was saying... Series is long from over..

Edited by terrell

It's funny how it works the same way right?  Terrell starts being critical in the middle of the game and by the end of the game...

Leaving GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It wasnt about winning or losing it was about not looking like you didnt belong like we did... But go off I guess..

Edited by terrell

How about something positive for a change?

After months of construction, Tampa Catholic faculty and donors were able to tour their basketball cathedral this week. The Kevin Knox II Field House, named after the NBA free agent who starred for the Crusaders, is a $6-million project that includes a new gymnasium, state-of-the-art fitness center, Hall of Fame Pavilion, Champions Hall, coaching suites, video scoreboard, men’s and women’s locker rooms, bleachers and concessions.

It was paid for in part by a $2 million donation from Knox II, along with contributions from other donors. The lobby includes murals that pay homage to Knox II and the student section, known as the Green Locos. The court will be dedicated in today’s ceremony to longtime basketball coach Don Dziagwa, who also serves as the school’s athletic director.

• Like 4

I've been following the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp trial and its really struck me how she promised donations and got away with not following through.  

Good on Knox for giving back to those that helped him along.  Its a nice story, and reminds us there's more to being an athlete, a star, a politician than just getting fame and fortune. Its what you do with it that spells out who you are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

I've been following the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp trial and its really struck me how she promised donations and got away with not following through.  

Good on Knox for giving back to those that helped him along.  Its a nice story, and reminds us there's more to being an athlete, a star, a politician than just getting fame and fortune. Its what you do with it that spells out who you are.

It actually happens quite often that celebrities/athletes promise to donate money and then dont follow through. They just want the good PR of being seen as generous, but never actually donate the money. Shameful and disgraceful on every level.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, benhillboy said:

If you don’t think the heat are any good who is?  They’re only the #1 seed who’s basically thrown their former champion starting PG in the garbage and still winning playoff games by double digits.

And their 20 mill per year sharpshooting SG.  In fact, if Oladipo re-signs with the Heat, they may as well trade Duncan Robinson.

16 hours ago, Diesel said:

I don't disagree.. There has always been injuries that have helped teams win.  I believe that Cleveland was very fortunate to win their championship because Draymond was conned into his last technical and Bogut got hurt. 

I think the whole Bubble championship is an Asterisk with a joke. 

Brooklyn beats Milwaukee last year without injury. 

However, I'm forced to look at the fact that Miami has played us with 2 starters missing.   Philly with no Embiid and then no Danny Green.  And Now Boston missing two starters. 

I have heard Butler be compared to Jordan because of what he did last night.. whereas we all know that if Smart plays, it's a different game.   The last time Smart played Butler in a series, he held him to 23% shooting. 

So this is what it comes down to BH...  If it doesn't matter who gets out on the court, why pay players differently?  I mean, why pay Trae 205 Million dollars and Kev 50 Million?  Shouldn't they make the same thing??  I mean, if Trae is out, shouldn't Kev be able to produce at the same level as Trae...

Or better yet, shouldn't no-Knox be a flawless replacement for JC?

This is the point, starters are starters because they are better than the guys on the bench (normally)... so when you have a starter that goes down.. team chemistry is effected greatly.  Miami has had the luxury of playing everybody in the playoffs missing a starter.   If you forgot, OO was on a slide coming into the playoffs.  He had hit his rookie wall. 

Here is OO's splits for this year by Month:

Split Value G GS MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS   FG% 3P% FT%   TS% USG% ORtg DRtg +/-   MP PTS TRB AST
Month December 3 1 67 12 17 0 0 7 7 6 17 4 2 6 4 12 31   .706   1.000   .772 16.4 138 108 +5.4   22.2 10.3 5.7 1.3
  January 15 5 351 58 79 0 0 27 40 35 94 15 9 22 17 48 143   .734   .675   .740 14.5 135 113 +9.1   23.4 9.5 6.3 1.0
  February 10 0 187 31 41 0 0 14 19 21 43 15 8 12 11 29 76   .756   .737   .770 14.0 139 112 +6.1   18.7 7.6 4.3 1.5
  March 15 0 289 44 72 0 0 26 36 45 99 13 7 16 8 46 114   .611   .722   .649 14.4 141 114 +1.2   19.3 7.6 6.6 0.9
  April 5 0 98 11 17 0 0 6 8 8 30 6 5 4 4 14 28   .647   .750   .682 10.9 132 110 +5.7   19.7 5.6 6.0 1.2

For the month of april, his numbes were down.   We all acknowledged that he needs a summer to get it together.   Then all the sudden he's thrusted into the C position starter.   And you wonder why Bam could be the third defender on Trae?  Because OO is not fluent in the PNR.  He's coming off of a slump month... thrust into the C position and Miami leaves him unguarded because they know he can't shoot.

Any other time, JC would be there to take the pressure off of Trae and provide a back door play...  Nope.. JC's hurt too.

But in BH's world, this means that Miami has such a culture of playing defense.   Give me a break.. if I get into a fight with a one legged man, you best believe I'm going to trip his ass up and stomp him out...   Does that make me Chuck Norris?  Bruce Lee?   Jon Jones?  Am I some great tactician?  Nope... Just fortunate and smart enough to apply the right tactic at the right time. 

Diesel, sometimes you simply have to belive what your eyes are telling you.  You see Miami playing teams that have multiple starters missing, and taking full advantage of that.  But here's the reality about the Heat:

OFFENSE

• #1 team in 3 pt%
  • #6 team in point differential
  • #5 team in FT%
  • #8 team in assists

DEFENSE

• #1 team in FGA . . which means they're the best team in the league in limiting shot attempts
  • #4 team in FG%
  • #2 team in 3FG% . . limiting opponents to 34% shooting from 3

They play at the 3rd slowest pace in the league, which goes a long way in limiting opponents' shot attempts.

Jimmy Butler missed 25 games this season.  Bam missed 26.  The Heat were 38 - 19 with Jimmy in the lineup.  They were 36 - 20 with Bam in the lineup.

That means that the Heat were 15 - 10 without Jimmy.  16 - 9 without Bam.

The Heat win 52 games. 

• With Jimmy, they're a 54 win team. 
  • With Bam, they're a 53 win team
  • Without Jimmy, they're a 49 win team
  • Without Bam, they're a 53 win team

These figures show you what the Heat are all about.  They slow you down.  They suffocate you on defense.  They normally make a high percentage of their 3s.  And even when they have key people out, they're still the same team.

So while the injury excuse is valid, it may not have changed the outcome of these series in any way.  The Heat are legit, and they are well coached.  They are constructed perfectly.  So perfect, that as soon as Oladipo came back healthy, he takes their defense to another level.  He's enabled them to survive losing their starting PG and has sent their sharpshooting SG to the very end of the bench.  That's what good roster construction and coaching will do for you.

Sometimes, you just have to admit that the Heat isn't just getting lucky, they're damn good.

49 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Shotsfired GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

No shots. This is a forum.. I dont care if anyone takes me serious or not. lol.   Im just giving my opinion on the team...Just like Peo... smh

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Diesel, sometimes you simply have to belive what your eyes are telling you.  You see Miami playing teams that have multiple starters missing, and taking full advantage of that.  But here's the reality about the Heat:

OFFENSE

• #1 team in 3 pt%
  • #6 team in point differential
  • #5 team in FT%
  • #8 team in assists

DEFENSE

• #1 team in FGA . . which means they're the best team in the league in limiting shot attempts
  • #4 team in FG%
  • #2 team in 3FG% . . limiting opponents to 34% shooting from 3

They play at the 3rd slowest pace in the league, which goes a long way in limiting opponents' shot attempts.

Jimmy Butler missed 25 games this season.  Bam missed 26.  The Heat were 38 - 19 with Jimmy in the lineup.  They were 36 - 20 with Bam in the lineup.

That means that the Heat were 15 - 10 without Jimmy.  16 - 9 without Bam.

The Heat win 52 games. 

• With Jimmy, they're a 54 win team. 
  • With Bam, they're a 53 win team
  • Without Jimmy, they're a 49 win team
  • Without Bam, they're a 53 win team

These figures show you what the Heat are all about.  They slow you down.  They suffocate you on defense.  They normally make a high percentage of their 3s.  And even when they have key people out, they're still the same team.

So while the injury excuse is valid, it may not have changed the outcome of these series in any way.  The Heat are legit, and they are well coached.  They are constructed perfectly.  So perfect, that as soon as Oladipo came back healthy, he takes their defense to another level.  He's enabled them to survive losing their starting PG and has sent their sharpshooting SG to the very end of the bench.  That's what good roster construction and coaching will do for you.

Sometimes, you just have to admit that the Heat isn't just getting lucky, they're damn good.

Nobody doubted their goodness, just like I don't doubt the Lakers in the Bubble were a good team.

What I am saying however, is that they were very fortunate because they have had a road filled with injured teams.  Not just one injured team, three so far.   Does this put their goodness in question?  No.  Does this make you question if they could beat the same teams while healthy... Yes. 

I think the thing you're missing NCyde is not the questioning of the goodness of Miami, but I think people automatically think that Miami is playing against inferior teams because of the outcome.  Right now, there are people who are equating Jimmy Butler to Michael Jordan. They have ignored everything that Butler was in the reg season and say that because of this playoffs...  blah blah blah.  The details are being ignored. 

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It actually happens quite often that celebrities/athletes promise to donate money and then dont follow through. They just want the good PR of being seen as generous, but never actually donate the money. Shameful and disgraceful on every level.

Can you name an instance of when athletes have promised to donate money, but didn't?

Steve Smith did it for Michigan State. 

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2001/nba-star-steve-smith-gives-gift-of-opportunity-to-high-school-students-in-detroit-b

Robert Covington did it for Tennessee State.

https://fox17.com/sports/content/nba-star-robert-covington-gives-back-to-alma-mater-will-build-1m-tsu-practice-facility-basketball-tennessee-state-university-houston-rockets-hbcu

Bismack Biyombo is doing it for his country

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bismack-biyombo-salary-congo-hospital/

So name some instances in which an athlete didn't do something that they pledged to do?

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Can you name an instance of when athletes have promised to donate money, but didn't?

Steve Smith did it for Michigan State. 

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2001/nba-star-steve-smith-gives-gift-of-opportunity-to-high-school-students-in-detroit-b

Robert Covington did it for Tennessee State.

https://fox17.com/sports/content/nba-star-robert-covington-gives-back-to-alma-mater-will-build-1m-tsu-practice-facility-basketball-tennessee-state-university-houston-rockets-hbcu

Bismack Biyombo is doing it for his country

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bismack-biyombo-salary-congo-hospital/

So name some instances in which an athlete didn't do something that they pledged to do?

Did I say every athlete that pledges money is lying? No I didnt. Nice starwman. But here's an article about scam charities run by athletes https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/9125446/rethink-giving-athlete-charities