• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Wizards

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

u cant adjust to that, trea isnt big enough to add a lot more ways o score to his game

I'm talking about the team as a whole, Trae is gonna be fine.

I think either refs will ease up or we slow the pace down and muck it up. 

42 minutes ago, aali34 said:

That doesn't account for the rest of the team dropping 5 attempts at the line. Especially with 8 more 2 pointers per game so far in the season. If guys aren't going to the line, defenses can be more aggressive and congesting. 

Capela gotta play better and our defense is gonna have to carry us for the time being.

Yes it does, because it was Trae's ability to draw fouls, that got us in the bonus.  Without him drawing 2 - 3 fouls in a quarter, it takes us longer to get in the bonus, if we ever get there at all.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

I was ripped for having the nerve to say the HAWKS aren't a physical team. This game is a prime example. If we remain a perimeter team and If games continue to be officiated like this we won't get to the line.  I was told to never worry or cry about the officiating. Go play and things will even out. Set a physical presence and the refs will adjust to your style of play. The HAWKS will adjust to the changes the league has made and all will be fine.  We haven't played ten games yet. No need to panic. 

The only time the Hawks even remotely showed they were physical as a team, is when they play Gallo at the 3 with Collins and Capela on the frontline.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Uh oh.  Nate is sounding a little like LP.

Recognize what is going on Nate.  You're playing your Smurfs against big guys.  If we're not making shots, and we're getting killed on the boards, you may want to adjust the lineup. 

Capela with 4 rebounds, that's not helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Capela with 4 rebounds, that's not helpful.

Hawks extended Huerter and Capela early and the results look underwhelming so far..

But it's early I know...........................................But still..lol

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yes it does, because it was Trae's ability to draw fouls, that got us in the bonus.  Without him drawing 2 - 3 fouls in a quarter, it takes us longer to get in the bonus, if we ever get there at all.

Fair point, but one free throw in the third? 

• Premium Member

I said last season I wanted to see Cam start at SG and let Bogi to go BU SG and Velvet to BU SF behind Hunter. It gives us a much better defensive team plus with Cam hitting his shots it helps the offense as well. I don't hate Bogi but he truly has become expendable at this point with Velvet being retained.

• Like 1

Here we go . . . Trae will get no sympathy, but his points are valid.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32499723/atlanta-star-trae-young-speaks-new-rules-frustrated-missed-calls

"I saw James said it's about him, but it's not targeting just one player or two players," Young said.

Young mentioned Damian Lillard and Devin Booker, a couple of other star scorers off to relatively slow starts.

"You can watch basketball. Damien Lillard's never averaged 17 points probably since his rookie year," Young said. "There's a couple guys. I mean, Book's averaging 18. There's a lot of things that, when guys are driving straight and guys are getting knocked off balance -- it's still a foul, whether they're using their lower body or their hands."

Young said he isn't completely against the changes, but he still wants certain contact to be whistled.

"Veering back and jumping into guys -- that's different," he said. "There are certain things that, I agree with the rule changes, but then there's things that are still fouls, and guys are going to get hurt. Especially a smaller guy like me who's going up against bigger and stronger defenders, they're using their body and they're using their legs and their hands to stop me."

Of course, every player in the 90s will laugh and say . . "This is what we went through when we played the game young fella".  There will be no sympathy for Trae.  But the way the refs are calling these games, only the super athletic guards are not going to be affected by them so much, because when those guys explode to the hole and get hit, they will get the foul.  

The turning point will be when one of these star guards get injured, because they got hit going to the basket, but the ref didn't make the call.  As a defender, they're going to push the limits on what they can get away with. I know I would.  And that's why they're coming at Trae so aggressively now with the double teams.

From Trae's standpoint, he must keep attacking. He must see what he can and can't get away with.  If he doesn't, he'll start doing just like Steph Curry did tonight, launching 20 three pointers. 

Or, he'll become a facilitator first and a scorer 2nd.  I know that's what some of you like, or want him to do.  But without a bonafide #1 type of scorer on this team, Trae being a facilitator is exactly what our opponents want him to be.  They FEAR him as a scorer, not as a passer.  We are NOT a better team when he racks up a ton of assists, but is not scoring the basketball.

He launched TWENTY 3 pointers, made 7.  Shot 11 - 29 for the game.  But he did get 7 FT attempts at least. But the Grizzlies wore him down with the bigger defender.  And Steph couldn't bail himself out by drawing fouls on that defender.  So he had to fire away.

• Like 2

Looking through the box scores, the only guards tonight that shot 6 or more FTs are:

• Jalen Green ( 9 )
  • Zach Lavine ( 9 )
  • Steph Curry ( 7 )
  • Ja Morant ( 7 )

Meanwhile, Embiid shot 15 FTs tonight, made 13.

Trae is right.  One of these guards who aren't getting calls, are going to get hurt on a no-call going to the basket.  That's when everyone will have a fit.  Let's just hope that it isn't Trae.

• Like 3

The refs are terrible, but this team isn't looking good. Bad defense and mediocre rebounding.

This team has the same weakness as before... I think the team is struggling to deal with the fact that they're the hunted and not the Hunter.

Perhaps they have done played their best ball under Nate, but we'll see.see.

Just finished watching the game. Cam stood out and balled. JC brought the heat tonight and what was up with Bertans trying to tic tac elbow him in the lower back. Not cool. 

No complaints, effort seemed there. Huerter was off tonight which may have ended up being the diff. Well, that and my x boy Trez flexing on us.

@Jody23 where u at?  It’s just 5/82. There will be nights like this. Take us home!!!!!

Go Hawks!

ps Ben Taylor is a giant arse. “Hostile act”? :indifferent: Really? I think he needs a hug. Here I’m gonna give him his 15 seconds of love right here. 

13005392-7A7D-4333-BBF4-E8D0918AF675.jpeg

• Like 2