Official Game Thread: Hawks at Grizzlies

lethalweapon3

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Capela has regained last year's form and it's no coincidence our hot streak has coincided with him getting it together. For this team getting stops and getting out running is so big, it gives our shooters open shots and gets Trae into a big time rhythm. 

There were rumors going around that he was hurt, I think he was just missing the lift. Takes a while to get it. He’s looking really good. Again when he is patrolling and dominating the paint it helps our other guys do their thing.

Yes agreed. I also think he’s gonna smash Kevin Willis single game Atlanta Hawks record of 33. Pettit had 35 twice I believe for St. Louis.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the best 7 games of Hawks basketball ever. In terms of average margin of victory. Super light portion of the schedule but still extremely impressive. Everyone seems to be settled into their roles and Trae is in complete control out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Threezus said:

Been trying to think what it would realistically take to get a player of his caliber for us.  The fact we have 3 guys in Huerter, Cam, and Hunter who can play SF allows us to move 1 of them easily in the trade.   Then you got Brown and Bogi taking up alot of money at SG so Bogi becomes expendable to upgrade to brown.   With Jalen, Gallo, Collins, Solo, and Okongwu all being able to play the 4 as well   Gallo, Jalen, or Big O becomes moveable as well.    Theirs no way we couldn't find some combo of players and picks to get Brown with all that available.

They aren't trading him unless they go full rebuild, which I don't see happening.

56 minutes ago, High5 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the best 7 games of Hawks basketball ever. In terms of average margin of victory. Super light portion of the schedule but still extremely impressive. Everyone seems to be settled into their roles and Trae is in complete control out there.

We did have quite the streak going during the 60 win season with Bud and the gang, I don't know how the numbers compare off hand. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, terrell said:

Not impressed with Wright or Dieng at all..

They were brought in to help protect the lead the starters build. The Hawks second unit have improved defensively in the two weakest areas last season...the point and at center. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It took NBA coaches nearly 40 years to figure it out, but 3 is worth than 2. 50% more. Hitting 40% of your threes is like hitting 60% of your twos. 

Its not that simple.  Missing a 3 is also more likely to lead to a transition basket due to long rebounds. 3's cause more long rebounds and cause more fast break opportunities. Making 3's = winning. Missing 3's accelerates losing.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Its not that simple.  Missing a 3 is also more likely to lead to a transition basket due to long rebounds. 3's cause more long rebounds and cause more fast break opportunities. Making 3's = winning. Missing 3's accelerates losing.

Well for better for worse, the league is shooting more threes than ever before. The three was criminally under utilized in the 80s and 90s. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Well for better for worse, the league is shooting more threes than ever before. The three was criminally under utilized in the 80s and 90s. 

And over utilized today. Teams should look for better quality shots. The Suns and Hawks take less threes than most teams,  but their 3 point percentage made is pretty high. The Hawks lead the league in 3 pt %.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, marco102 said:

And over utilized today. Teams should look for better quality shots. The Suns and Hawks take less threes than most teams,  but their 3 point percentage made is pretty high. The Hawks lead the league in 3 pt %.

Perhaps for some teams. But GS and Utah take the 2nd and 3rd most threes, and are among the best teams so far. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Perhaps for some teams. But GS and Utah take the 2nd and 3rd most threes, and are among the best teams so far. 

Golden State and Utah are player movement teams. Hawks are a ball movement team. Our players don't move as much but the ball moves a lot.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

There were rumors going around that he was hurt, I think he was just missing the lift. Takes a while to get it. He’s looking really good. Again when he is patrolling and dominating the paint it helps our other guys do their thing.

Yes agreed. I also think he’s gonna smash Kevin Willis single game Atlanta Hawks record of 33. Pettit had 35 twice I believe for St. Louis.

I think it's just the achilles management, it will be something we will have to navigate as long as Cap is with us. I just hope he can get into the playoffs playing at this level because we didn't have him at 100% during the playoffs last year and if we can get him at close to peak form we are a different animal. 

• Like 2