• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Probably-a-Game Thread: Hemi-Hawks at Halve-a-Liers

lethalweapon3

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

He's putting up monster numbers. His PER is higher than Steph's. In fact, Trae and Ja are the only point guards in the top ten in PER, which traditionally favors bigs. 

Carzy stat about last night is Trae put up 35/11 in the 2nd game of his rookie year in Cleveland if I'm not mistaken..

Edited by terrell

3 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

He's a generational talent. 

It's really not said enough. Other message boards and some fan bases won't admit it because they already crowned that guy in Dallas as generational, which I believe he is too, and slandered Trae.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, marco102 said:

It's really not said enough. Other message boards and some fan bases won't admit it because they already crowned that guy in Dallas as generational, which I believe he is too, and slandered Trae.

I think Trae made himself generational in the playoffs.   When you really notice what he does and the numbers he puts up, there has been nothing like him for a while. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

@sturt what's up with your boy Pangos 

Dunno. Honestly, I've suspended my NBA interest given the current state of all hell breaking loose and no perceptible reasonable plan at NBA HQ for dealing intelligently with the cards dealt.

But having said that, no matter what's going on with "your boy Pangos" at the moment, the very fact that he is on an NBA roster, as I recall, should be hailed as some marvelously fortunate prediction on my part. No? I'm sure @Spud2nique will be adult enough to confirm that.

Hold that thought. Hmmm.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He was generational when he averaged 29 pts - 9 assts- 4 rebs in his 2nd year.  

Yes, he was. He was surrounded by a tank squad but he did everything he could and even willed the team to a few wins. That season as a whole would have turned out a lot better if Collins didn't miss 25 games. Then again, we got Okongwu so I'm not complaining. Trae's play in year two was the reason Schlenk started adding quality vets the next season. He knew he had the type of player he could build a team around.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He was generational when he averaged 29 pts - 9 assts- 4 rebs in his 2nd year.  

No.  That made him really good.   Brandon Roy was really good.   However, he became Generational when he lead this team to the ECFs... a place our franchise have only been to once and we looked dominant getting there and being there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

No.  That made him really good.   Brandon Roy was really good.   However, he became Generational when he lead this team to the ECFs... a place our franchise have only been to once and we looked dominant getting there and being there. 

Diesel, I talked extensively on here the historic achievement he was doing.

I said it was 29 pts - 9 ast and 4 rebs . .  but it was really 29 pts - 10 asst - 4 rebs, if you round up the 9.6 assists to 10.

The only players in NBA history to do what he did that year, were Oscar Robertson, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, and Tiny Archibald.  And only Tiny was his size.  

Michael Jordan was a generational player long before he led his Bulls to the EC Finals.  Trae was doing the same in Year 2. You don't have to win in the playoffs to become "generational".  At one time, Pistol Pete was a generational type of player, and he never won anything.

He was so good that year, they couldn't even deny him an All-Star spot.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't want to get caught up in the semantics of good vs great vs generational. Roy was a talented player, but his best years did not even sniff Trae's sophomore season stat line. 
 What Trae did in year 2 was not normal. This league has not seen many season performances like that let alone from a 2nd year guy.

I don't care how much the masses try to reduce Trae to being on the same level as a Ja or Lamelo, this kid is outright special and is in rare air when it comes to production. 

The playoffs solidified his numbers as more than empty calories. And his performance in that run was borderline legendary. 

Trae is on the level of Iverson at this juncture in their career. And truth be told Trae is a tad ahead of schedule for that comparison too.

I'm not saying that what Trae did in year 2 wasn't great.  I'm saying that nobody noticed.  People took notice of Trae in the playoffs as he put up 50 point games vs. Philly and Milwaukee.... after we bounced NY out of the playoffs in 5 games.    
What made him more generational?  

His stat line in yr 2..

or the Bow in MSG after pushing the Knicks out of the playoffs?

While his statline made him great in the eyes of Basketball statheads...  That Bow caught the Worlds attention.  That's what I'm saying.

I'm not diminishing how good he was and has been.. I'm saying that for a player to be consider generational.. it's more than stats. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm not saying that what Trae did in year 2 wasn't great.  I'm saying that nobody noticed.  People took notice of Trae in the playoffs as he put up 50 point games vs. Philly and Milwaukee.... after we bounced NY out of the playoffs in 5 games.    
What made him more generational?  

His stat line in yr 2..

or the Bow in MSG after pushing the Knicks out of the playoffs?

While his statline made him great in the eyes of Basketball statheads...  That Bow caught the Worlds attention.  That's what I'm saying.

I'm not diminishing how good he was and has been.. I'm saying that for a player to be consider generational.. it's more than stats. 

They definitely noticed.  He made the All-Star team that season.  It's just that the "casuals" didn't notice Trae because the Hawks weren't viewed as a box office attraction.  We've never been viewed in that light.

What was happening with Trae, is that they simply dismissed his season due to the poor record the team had.  Trae has had his doubters since Day 1, so they've tried to dismiss him at every turn.  Even with the constant Luka comparisons, they propped him up like he was head and shoulders over Trae.

It's not Trae's fault that the world's introduction to him, was in the playoffs.  The people that have been watching Trae already knew he was great.  If he played on the Knicks, the media would be hyping him up as a top 5 player because he'd be on national TV, win or lose,

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They definitely noticed.  He made the All-Star team that season.  It's just that the "casuals" didn't notice Trae because the Hawks weren't viewed as a box office attraction.  We've never been viewed in that light.

What was happening with Trae, is that they simply dismissed his season due to the poor record the team had.  Trae has had his doubters since Day 1, so they've tried to dismiss him at every turn.  Even with the constant Luka comparisons, they propped him up like he was head and shoulders over Trae.

It's not Trae's fault that the world's introduction to him, was in the playoffs.  The people that have been watching Trae already knew he was great.  If he played on the Knicks, the media would be hyping him up as a top 5 player because he'd be on national TV, win or lose,

Northcyde, 

You're looking at this as if it's negative.   This is the way basketball has always worked.  You have to do what you do in the playoffs to be respected.  They call it the Big stage.  Here are a few relative examples:

1.  Nique is probably the greatest player in Hawks history.  One of the greatest players to play the game.   Had he never had the duel with Larry Bird, his playoff career would be nothing because he never made it passed the second round.  Do you think that took away from him being a generational talent?  The answer is yes... He was snubbed on the top 50 alltime team. There were guys on that team whoose statline didn't compare to Niques.  There were guys on that team who didn't carry a franchise like Nique did.  There were guys on that list who were carried by other great players and they were Robin to their team's batman.. and in some cases they were batgirl.

2.  I wonder sometimes will Joe Johnson get his Jersey hung to the rafters in Atlanta?  He played for us for 7 years and made 6 allstar teams.  He averaged 20/5/4 on 44%/36% shooting.  He was definitely the leader of our team.  But there's a question... will we recognize him?

You can be great for your hometeam.. you can make an allstar team, but that doesn't mean that you're great around the league or even known.    For Instance:

Karl Anthony Townes.   He's a force out in Minnesota.   I don't know how many allstar games he has made in his 7 years.. but he's been the the playoffs only once.   Lost in the first round.  He has had impressive statlines... for the last three years or so.. hoovering around 25/11/4.5...  Is he a generational talent?  Most of the world knows nothing about him. Others consider him more of a bust than a great player.  The world knows Antman and considers him the sidekick.   

• Like 1

Generational?  To all of us Hawk fans - Yes!  To all the others?  Young is pretty good but look at that wonderful player that Atlanta gave Dallas for him.  He's a real all star!

Then the Hawks hit the national audience when they made the playoffs.  Generational?  As the public sat up and took notice, they were forced to believe what we Hawk fans already knew.

How good is he now?  Well, he and Capella and some 10 day contract players + Mays won our last game.  That's how good!

:smug:

• Premium Member

That's more of the point Grey.

We are considered losers in the Trae/Luka trade.  Trae is great.  Luka is out of shape.   Trae has been to the conference finals.  Luka hasn't been out of the first round. 

Yet... we lost the trade.. even though we got Trae and Cam. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

That's more of the point Grey.

We are considered losers in the Trae/Luka trade.  Trae is great.  Luka is out of shape.   Trae has been to the conference finals.  Luka hasn't been out of the first round. 

Yet... we lost the trade.. even though we got Trae and Cam. 

I'm going to support @TheNorthCydeRises here. 

Julius Randle been booty cheeks for amany years. Last year, he has a good year on a Knicks team and he's All NBA and Trae couldn't even make an all NBA team with the same record. 

There is a major bias towards Trae.  A lot of it has to do with the trade and people's first prognostications on Trae.  The media bias against him was outrageous his first three years.  The entire foul merchant thing last year was pretty crazy how they attacked him. 

What Trae did his second season was generational rather someone paid attention to it or not. If only a few players in NBA history have done it, it was a generational season. 

It's like a rookie coming in averaging 40 15 15 on 60% shooting.  It's a generational season rather his team went 0-82 or not.  Some may say empty stats, but you don't need outside people to recognize that to be generational.  The stats will say you are alone.  They all eventually come around. Jordan had his naysayers his first few seasons too.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, sturt said:

Dunno. Honestly, I've suspended my NBA interest given the current state of all hell breaking loose and no perceptible reasonable plan at NBA HQ for dealing intelligently with the cards dealt.

But having said that, no matter what's going on with "your boy Pangos" at the moment, the very fact that he is on an NBA roster, as I recall, should be hailed as some marvelously fortunate prediction on my part. No? I'm sure @Spud2nique will be adult enough to confirm that.

Hold that thought. Hmmm.

Go buy Pangos dinner. You guys can celebrate together! You can be the “booster” older gentleman he NEVER had.  :laugh1: It’ll be like the Chris Webber story only nothing like it.

• Haha 1