The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we were looking at a SnT deal for Lavine or another UFA, then part of the challenge would definitely be the salary match piece since the Hawks don't have a lot of large "filler" contracts. 

Bogi+Gallo would be more than enough right?  

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm skeptical about any of those deals getting done but it would be a very interesting roster if they did.

You may be right, I certainly don't know.  Assuming Supes is in the ballpark on current asks though.  At any rate, the real crux of my point was I'd rather focus on adding elite wings to help Trae out rather than spend $35-$40M on a Center.  As much as I've banged on Clint this year, I still think he's a bargain at $19M and will continue to be as the Salary Cap goes up.  And while I don't think JC is a 1st or 2nd option on a title team, I also recognize that it would be challenging to replace everything he does for the Hawks.  

At some point, I think it's going to be necessary to move on from one or the other in order to really maximize JC's strengths, but I'm not convinced that doing so at the same time you reconstruct the backcourt is the best strategy.  And, for me, the secondary creator is a more pressing need than an upgrade at Center or moving off of JC.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Just going off what Supes said, I was thinking: 

Sexton for Bogie

Brogdon for Gallo

Lavine for Delon, Kevin, and picks

Would give us:

Trae / Sexton / Cooper

Lavine / Brogdon

Hunter / ???

JC / JJ

CC / OO

Would still need to sign a couple or 3 wings and another big but overall I'd ride with that and see what happens.  

2 guys coming off knee surgeries in Lavine and Sexton and the other played 36 games this past season in Brogdon. Then we have our own walking injury concern in Hunter.

I'm not OK with this!!!....and I don't think we've adequately addressed our wing defense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

2 guys coming off knee surgeries in Lavine and Sexton and the other played 36 games this past season in Brogdon. Then we have our own walking injury concern in Hunter.

I'm not OK with this!!!....and I don't think we've adequately addressed our wing defense.

The injury questions are a fair point but I, personally, think it's worth the risk.  I don't look at Sexton or Lavine and think chronically injured and they would be the highlights for me.  

As for wing defense, I agree.  And that would need to be addressed with the 2-3 wings that are added on lower salaries.  I also think JC and Clint, when healthy, can be a viable defensive pairing.  Underrated for sure.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Is the only way into the senior board to reach the 500 post minimum? Or can you physically be added by an admin?

I'm guessing an admin can add someone to have access to it without the 500 posts. I could be wrong though. @AHF will have to answer that one.

We insiders are talking about moving our insider posts to the senior board. When there is a consensus answer one of us will post  about it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, AHF said:

Couple of moderator comments:

1. @NBASupes @thecampster @Sothron are free to post on the senior squawk board to limit who is seeing and potentially sharing their posts.  I'm not going to an offer an opinion on the topic of to what extent intellectual property rights extend to posts made on the internet since my IP experience is completely unrelated to that but if you think someone is misusing your posts then you would be able to flag or report those to the admin on the site on which they are using them.  The Squawk staff wouldn't be the holders of a copyright, etc. and so wouldn't be able to do anything with it even if it was originally posted here but if an IP right attaches then you (as the creator of that content) would be the person with that right.
  2. Seen some name calling and the like going back and forth on this thread.  Let's try to engage with each other more respectfully than that.  If you respond to the content of the post rather than directing comments at the poster, you'll be better off and the conversation will be better for everyone.

Fan comments:

1. I feel like Ginobili is being really underrated on this thread.  Appreciate the statistical similarity in offensive counting stats but Gino was a beast on defense which was a huge part of his value.  That and his ability to get to the line are the two things that seem to make it an ill fitting comparison to Huerter or Bogi.  IMO, both of them are one-way players today.  There are just some huge gaps in the non-counting-stat metrics.  For example, Manu put up 33.1 win shares his first four seasons.  Huerter has 9.4 win shares over his first four seasons.  Bogi has 16.2 over his first five seasons.  So Manu had more over his first 4 seasons than Huerter and Bogi had combined over 9 seasons and it wasn't particularly close (33.1 > 25.6).
  2. On Lavine, the price for a SnT can really vary in a couple of ways.  First, if the player is an UFA and eager to follow the money regardless of who signs him and the incumbent team isn't going to meet the UFA's salary expectations then the team doing the SnT probably isn't going to get much value.  They are basically a needless part of the process that doesn't add value unless the UFA wants to go to a team that doesn't have the cap room and then their only value is facilitating the trade.  Second, that trade value goes up the more suitors there are who are capped out and require a SnT.  At that point, they aren't just facilitating a trade but are gate keepers for those franchises and with multiple teams in the mix  you can have a bidding war going on if the UFA is fine to go to any of them.  Third, the incumbent team should also expect to get more if the UFA wants a SnT so they can get higher raises in a new contract and so doesn't want to sign an offer sheet with another team that wouldn't include those higher Bird right raises.  At that point, the incumbent team has more control and leverage over the UFA and the trade partner.  So just all in all, it is tough to look at past SnT situations to get a good sense of cost because there are so many factors in play.  If we were looking at a SnT deal for Lavine or another UFA, then part of the challenge would definitely be the salary match piece since the Hawks don't have a lot of large "filler" contracts.  (A SnT for a RFA is a very different situation from an UFA.)
  3. Delon Wright is an automatic resign for the Hawks, IMO, unless they get an upgrade at guard in the offseason.  I have seen nothing indicating that the Hawks management team isn't happy with the value that Wright produced over the full season.  I'll be surprised if we don't get a big name guard coming here (which is the scenario that could make it tough to resign Wright) or bring Delon back this offseason.

If we do decide to limit our insider posts to the senior board then everyone can thank that one jerk on twitter that clearly came here and stole posts here to pass off as his own. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's just tough because this offseason there's no Jaylen Brown, KD, Booker, or Kawhi available. It's either questionable fit guys like Mitchell, Gobert, or Ayton; or guys with injury concerns like LaVine, Sexton, or even Simmons.

However, look at the guys we're sending out in that proposal - Bogi, Gallo, Huerter. Not exactly 3 injury free players or great fits with Trae. Sexton and LaVine are clear upgrades.

Edited by ShooterSays
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Is the only way into the senior board to reach the 500 post minimum? Or can you physically be added by an admin?

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping. I don’t post much but I’ve been a hawks fan and Long time lurker on this site since the bud days!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

The injury questions are a fair point but I, personally, think it's worth the risk.  I don't look at Sexton or Lavine and think chronically injured and they would be the highlights for me.  

As for wing defense, I agree.  And that would need to be addressed with the 2-3 wings that are added on lower salaries.  I also think JC and Clint, when healthy, can be a viable defensive pairing.  Underrated for sure.  

Its ok to say worth the risk now until we start playing games though. Maybe the injury bug the last 2 years is giving me pause.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping. I don’t post much but I’ve been a hawks fan and Long time lurker on this site since the bud days!

Get your post count up Dean, lol

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

It's just tough because this offseason there's no Jaylen Brown, KD, Booker, or Kawhi available. It's either questionable fit guys like Mitchell, Gobert, or Ayton; or guys with injury concerns like LaVine, Sexton, or even Simmons.

However, look at the guys we're sending out in that proposal - Bogi, Gallo, Huerter. Not exactly 3 injury prone players or great fits with Trae. Sexton and LaVine are clear upgrades.

Clear upgrades no doubt - but I'm also looking at the cost and length of these new deals/players in conjunction with the injury concerns.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm just funning you guys....hopefully if the post do go there...admin can assist the true Hawks fans.

We may need the admins to ask them some questions about the Hawks.. and maybe things like oh I dunno..

WHOSE YOUR 2ND FAV TEAM.. :indifferent:

#marcopolo #westcoastpolo #marcoman

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

Longtime NBA agent Bill Duffy appeared on SiriusXM NBA Radio from the 2022 NBA Draft Combine. One topic of conversation was the upcoming free agency of Deandre Ayton, who is one of Duffy's clients.

When asked where things stand with the Phoenix Suns, Duffy admitted Ayton's camp is disappointed a deal wasn't already worked out.

“We’re disappointed. We wanted a max contract,” Duffy said. “He went out and was a solider the whole year, played well, improved his statistics. So, we’re proud of him. A lot of guys handle things differently, but he was very mature about it."

Duffy expressed confidence that Ayton will still get a good deal, even if it's not with Phoenix.

"Things will work out for Deandre. He’s a valuable player," Duffy said. "There’s other teams in the league as well. He’s a restricted free agent, so we’ll see how this process unfolds.”

JUSTIN TERMINE AND EDDIE JOHNSON/SIRIUSXM NBA RADIO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Longtime NBA agent Bill Duffy appeared on SiriusXM NBA Radio from the 2022 NBA Draft Combine. One topic of conversation was the upcoming free agency of Deandre Ayton, who is one of Duffy's clients.

When asked where things stand with the Phoenix Suns, Duffy admitted Ayton's camp is disappointed a deal wasn't already worked out.

“We’re disappointed. We wanted a max contract,” Duffy said. “He went out and was a solider the whole year, played well, improved his statistics. So, we’re proud of him. A lot of guys handle things differently, but he was very mature about it."

Duffy expressed confidence that Ayton will still get a good deal, even if it's not with Phoenix.

"Things will work out for Deandre. He’s a valuable player," Duffy said. "There’s other teams in the league as well. He’s a restricted free agent, so we’ll see how this process unfolds.”

JUSTIN TERMINE AND EDDIE JOHNSON/SIRIUSXM NBA RADIO

Ya I was reading this last night. I know wings are the thing but you get a motivated Ayton with a guy like Trae. I would look into this for sure if I’m Schlenk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yea that's a no from me. This makes us worse defensively.