• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Upon closer inspection... yes... it appears I did, your honor.

Ask me why. That is, if you don't already know. Or, even if you do, I'm happy to re-re-emphasize why it seemed only reasonable.

To quote Rosa Parks, “Nah.”

I’m good. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Here's something you can almost count on... not just here... not just on sports forums... not just on social media in general...

When you present a conclusion, and you present the substance supporting that conclusion, and when someone has some way of responding with substance to counter yours...

That's exactly what they do.

And when they don't?

Well. Of course. They grasp for any possible deflection, and often... hey, we were all in 7th grade once, right(?)... it attempts some degree of cutting humor.

I get it.

But intelligent people aren't distracted. They see it for what it is. Rhetorical gamesmanship... and a nothing sandwich.

• Like 1

One thing that was interesting and a little shocking about supes inside info was the likelihood that their “primary target” is Zach Lavine…..could just be me but this shocked me because I thought the FO would be more interested in getting a big man secondary scorer opposed to a wing secondary scorer / takeover player beside Trae.

If you read through Supes inside details again you can see the aggressive pursuit in a scoring wing player….serious interest (at some point or currently) in Beal, Mitchell, CJ McColumn, Lavine as starters but even towards the bench Brogdan, Fournier, Sexton.

Don’t get me wrong I see that Ayton is the likely second top target per supes inside info but it’s very clear the FO wants another scoring wing player at either SG or SF over everything else seem like AND they are acknowledging the current wings bogi, Kev, Hunter just aren’t good enough or even close to good enough.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JTB said:

One thing that was interesting and a little shocking about supes inside info was the likelihood that their “primary target” is Zach Lavine…..could just be me but this shocked me because I thought the FO would be more interested in getting a big man secondary scorer opposed to a wing secondary scorer / takeover player beside Trae.

If you read through Supes inside details again you can see the aggressive pursuit in a scoring wing player….serious interest (at some point or currently) in Beal, Mitchell, CJ McColumn, Lavine as starters but even towards the bench Brogdan, Fournier, Sexton.

Don’t get me wrong I see that Ayton is the likely second top target per supes inside info but it’s very clear the FO wants another scoring wing player at either SG or SF over everything else seem like AND they are acknowledging the current wings bogi, Kev, Hunter just aren’t good enough or even close to good enough.

Trae has stressed he wanted another ball handler to take some of the pressure off him.  Not so shocking to me when you've read their threads about what Trae wants.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think we underestimate how much Trae wants to play with Simmons. 

I was watching Trae's interview with Reddick.   The interesting thing to me is that Trae was very understanding of why Simmons passed off... almost credited Simmons for making the right play.  Was a big defender of Simmons'  basketball skill.     Despite what the the inside voices are saying right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a major pitch to Brooklyn for Simmons.  And right now, fans in Brooklyn are so threw with Simmons, they nobody would miss him. 

Could be Gallo/Kev/1st for Simmons. 

• Like 4

Definitely reading the tea leaves that the FO wants that wing scorer/sg in the Klay mold. Got to be athletic and can score. That is an absolute priority so take your pick of the top of the targets and I'll be happy. Mitchell, Lavine, etc. 

The starting center has to be defensive minded and finish at the rim. 

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not shocking. It's a WING league. Guys that can score themselves and able to set up others are the premium....Hawks are more in need of another guy that can do this. Not so much a guy that needs Trae to get him his points. That's why I don't want Gobert and his $40 mil - that's too much to invest in that position without changing and upgrading the Trae dynamic.

Don’t try to sway me with your solid reasoning. :sarcastic:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not shocking. It's a WING league. Guys that can score themselves and able to set up others are the premium....Hawks are more in need of another guy that can do this. Not so much a guy that needs Trae to get him his points. That's why I don't want Gobert and his $40 mil - that's too much to invest in that position without changing and upgrading the Trae dynamic.

IMO,  just do the deals for Lavine and Sexton and add some other wing defenders like Brogdon and call it a day.  At the price tag, just keep Clint and JC and see what happens.  You can always move one of them later on if necessary.  I agree that Gobert is too expensive and I'm starting to wonder if Ayton is going to be as well.  

I'd love to upgrade the C position, but Clint's $19M is very attractive compared to Gobert's $40 or Ayton's $35+.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

IMO,  just do the deals for Lavine and Sexton and add some other wing defenders like Brogdon and call it a day.  At the price tag, just keep Clint and JC and see what happens.  You can always move one of them later on if necessary.  I agree that Gobert is too expensive and I'm starting to wonder if Ayton is going to be as well.  

I'd love to upgrade the C position, but Clint's $19M is very attractive compared to Gobert's $40 or Ayton's $35+.  

Yeah.   If we can get away with only losing Bogi, Gallo, and maybe Capela (if we have to), and bringing in Lavine and Sexton or Fournier then I think we're doing well.    Of course i'm not wild about having to cheer for Sexton but i'm sure i'll get over it.   

Although losing Gallo without adding any scoring off the bench at the 4/5 is going to hurt a little.   We'll need JJ to be good real fast.  

• Like 1

Elite wing players like Trae, LaVine, and Sexton, are just more important in today's NBA that paying $40M + for a Center...unless that Center is Embiid or Jokic. Who, btw, are sitting at home right now just like us.

Just looking at the playoff field and teams who actually had a chance to win it all, just about all of them have either elite wings or a Giannis/Tatum.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

How do you propose we get all 3 though? Particularly since Lavine and Sexton will both need to be SnTs

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

How do you propose we get all 3 though?

Just going off what Supes said, I was thinking: 

Sexton for Bogie

Brogdon for Gallo

Lavine for Delon, Kevin, and picks

Would give us:

Trae / Sexton / Cooper

Lavine / Brogdon

Hunter / ???

JC / JJ

CC / OO

Would still need to sign a couple or 3 wings and another big but overall I'd ride with that and see what happens.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Just going off what Supes said, I was thinking: 

Sexton for Bogie

Brogdon for Gallo

Lavine for Delon, Kevin, and picks

I'm skeptical about any of those deals getting done but it would be a very interesting roster if they did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’d take a mentally defective yet versatile defender like Simmons over an Center with limited range on offense and defense like Gobert. Simmons doesn’t have heart though, and that’s the only thing keeping me off of him.

Positions aside, we need an influx of players with heart. That’s why I’m ok with Sexton. He is not the most talented dude but he has a dog mentality.

We will never get the return on the value of Dre the player on his current contract. That’s the only reason I would pull him off the table and let him start the season with us, and just field offers for him during the season. If he plays down his value, his contract is still attractive as an expiring. If he plays up his value, we keep him obviously, then can SnT or extend him in the following offseason. But right now, his salary alone brings nothing of equal value back, and you can do a lot worse than a versatile SF with size on his rookie deal.