• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

OK . . same question remains. 

Would the 6-9 . . 240 lb Ben Simmons be outclassed at Center vs those players?

How and/or why?

Regardless of his height. Ben has played exclusively at point forward. What if is not comfortable switching positions and responsibilities?

• Premium Member

My take..

I think Simmons is a sure 6'10".  That's where I have always pictured him.   Is it accurate??  I don't know.. who cares, did he go to the barbershop.. what really matters is what can you defend.. That being the question, I see him as a 4. I don't know if we can get him.. I don't know what the cost would be.  I'm guessing the thought is that we would have to send Cap in a deal.  Idk...  Can he play 5? In this league?  Maybe.. that would make for some interesting games against Philly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You guys need to see how the league is being played in today's NBA.

If we keep the right player on the frontline who could do that ( Collins ), there is no need for Simmins to extend his range, if he's constantly attacking the rim and passing the ball out for people to take wide open 3s.

That's a softer frontline without Clint and a more clogged front line with Simmons instead of JC.

BS is not fit to battle in the paint full time. Even if he was healthy and his mind right..  You have a really highly paid player who is going to be pulled away from his strengths.

He is a great rebounder for a 1-3, bit not a 5. He isn't going to handle the ball much as a 5... So that strength is limited, and his size is no longer a big advantage as a center.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

That's a softer frontline without Clint and a more clogged front line with Simmons instead of JC.

BS is not fit to battle in the paint full time. Even if he was healthy and his mind right..  You have a really highly paid player who is going to be pulled away from his strengths.

He is a great rebounder for a 1-3, bit not a 5. He isn't going to handle the ball much as a 5... So that strength is limited, and his size is no longer a big advantage as a center.

I have no concerns about Simmons and Capela being on the floor together until the end of games.   We would finish with OO and JJ or something like that.   or OO and Hunter.   but starting.. our defense will be super and our offense will have enough passer and shooters to make us very efficient.   Inside out will still work. 

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

As has already been covered, but Simmons is 6'9", not 6'11". Even if he's really 6'10, he's still not built like a center in body type. He does still have a positive wingspan of 7'0", but he's just not built like a center. Plus, Simmons may be a Defensive Player of the Year candidate but he’s done that by his menacing perimeter defense, not his interior defense. 

Defensively his strength is guarding perimeter players. He's great fighting through screens, guarding ball handlers on-ball, wings off-ball, mobile bigs that are perimeter oriented. Guarding the interior is a different skillset. 

He lacks the strength the bang with centers full-time. But more importantly he's not a great help defender or rim protector, the two primary requirements of playing the 5 in most schemes.

Let's compare this to OO who is similar sized, although built differently. Okongwu's strengths are help defense, and rim protection, but what makes him an elite interior defender is also having the ability to step out on the perimeter and do a good job there too. But you wouldn't want to make OO a full-time perimeter defender, it's not his strength and you would be wasting what he is good at. 

It's the opposite with Simmons. He's an elite perimeter defender, possibly the best in the world, that can also play some good interior defense. But you don't want him on the interior full-time because it's not his strength and you would be wasting what he is exceptional at. 

A 6'9" perimeter defender that can guard on-ball and off-ball is a unicorn. A 6'9" guy that isn't a great rim protector or help defender is a dime a dozen in the NBA. THAT is why he isn't a center. It's not that he is completely incapable of doing it; it's that your taking him away from a position of greatness and moving him to a position of mediocrity. 

I don't agree completely, but this is a great post.   

Well thought out.   Explained your point of view very well.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

With the loss of Huerter and Gallinari, the Hawks need more shooting and shot creation.  Those two guys were a big part of the offense being so good last year.  I know Justin Holiday is a good shooter and defender and that will help, but that's not going to be enough.

So Ben Simmons gonna get in his feelings and have a set back? Gonna need another 5 years before he mentally ready to play. Deactivated his Instagram.

Something about Murray being positive and a stable leader makes me appreciate that over the primadonnas out there

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why would I root for this head case? Did you also root for J.R. Rider?

Of course I rooted for JR Rider. 

He was a Hawk.  I wanted to see him and the Hawks do well.

But there are different types of head cases.   Rider was a complete idiot.   Simmons isn't an idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

https://crownhoops.com/2019/10/08/complete-list-of-nba-player-height-changes-and-updates/

All good, this happened after he was drafted. The year they updated everyone

This came outin 2019.  So NBA teams aren't required to verify heights every year?  That would be weird for them to do it for just one year.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, Blunt91 said:

We can do better than Jock Landale.  He had fewer rebounds (although only a very small percentage less) than Dieng did last season.  He played 3.5 minutes more than Gourgi and Gourgi was/is soft as a rebounder. 

You need to look again.  Dieng was the second best rebounder on the team on a per minute basis.  He averaged 11.7 rebounds per 36 minutes.  The only one who did better was Capella at 15.5.  He was followed by OO (10.3), JC (9.1), JJ (7.8), Knox (7.1) and Gallo (6.6).   One of our COVID fill ins was better than some of our regulars, but he only played a few games:  Cat Barber (8.4),  Oh yeah, Murphy was 8.6 and Landale was 8.4.

Edited by Watchman

38 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Regardless of his height. Ben has played exclusively at point forward. What if is not comfortable switching positions and responsibilities?

Oh he'd still play some at point forward.  He'd just play at center as well, especially against teams using PFs as Cs, like in Golden St, Miami, Boston, Dallas, and Toronto.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And because NBA players don't play without shoes on . . . you round the .5 up

6-11 it is!!

They should all get measured in platform soles then?  They all play in uniforms and shoes.  Do their weights include those items too?

• Haha 3