• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So the deal for Ayton would be Clint and one of Collins or Bogi plus Griffin for the right to pay Ayton $30 million while sending Durant to the Suns.

Seems as if the Hawks are paying more than their fair share and paying the freight for the Suns to get Durant.

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree with you.  I'd just say I read the original post as being more along the lines of Clint or JC or Bogi and not Clint + 1 of them.  Once you have one of those 3, Griffin is included to juice the deal in this writer's eyes.

I read it to mean the Hawks have multiple avenues to put assets in the pot to make a deal happen. I don't see anything even remotely concrete to suggest what combination of those assets should be pushed. 

I also don't see where Ayton getting $30m is guaranteed in this scenario. There always exists the option he has to take less than the max, especially since he doesn't have much of a market to strong arm a suitor with. 

• Like 1

If the Hawks could get Ayton and keep Hunter, OO and Jalen Johnson, you do it.  I would hate to give up Griffin. I would rather send Bogi.  They can have Bogi, Collins and Capela in some sort of 3 team trade.  A core of Young, Murray and Ayton surrounded by Hunter, OO and Johnson with Holiday and the other defenders they brought in is a NBA championship roster.

pg Young

sg Murray

sf Hunter or Johnson

pf Johnson, Hunter, OO

c Ayton, OO

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

I read it to mean the Hawks have multiple avenues to put assets in the pot to make a deal happen. I don't see anything even remotely concrete to suggest what combination of those assets should be pushed. 

I also don't see where Ayton getting $30m is guaranteed in this scenario. There always exists the option he has to take less than the max, especially since he doesn't have much of a market to strong arm a suitor with. 

Phoenix can only take back 50% + 125%+1000K of whatever Ayton signs for, so whether it's $30 million or $25 million - it causes a problem on our end with what the Hawks are required to take back.  I use $30 since Capela or Bogi matches the ~$18 million the Suns can take back.  If it's less for example $25 million for Ayton, the Suns can only take back $16 million - so both Capela and Bogi make too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Phoenix can only take back 50% + 125%+1000K of whatever Ayton signs for, so whether it's $30 million or $25 million - it causes a problem on our end with what the Hawks are required to take back.  I use $30 since Capela or Bogi matches the ~$18 million the Suns can take back.  If it's less for example $25 million for Ayton, the Suns can only take back $16 million - so both Capela and Bogi make too much.

Yes. But a less than max contract can be structured with a descending scale where ~$30m is the first year with 5% decreases per year. I did the math a while back and it came out to around a total of $110m 4-year contract IIRC. That way we compensate for the lower BYC first year salary for trade purposes, but still lower the overall average value of the deal. 

Of course Ayton would have to agree to this contract, but that is the point of pointing out earlier that he really isn't being heavily pursued for a max at this time.  

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Yes. But a less than max contract can be structured with a descending scale where ~$30m is the first year with 5% decreases per year. I did the math a while back and it came out to around a total of $110m 4-year contract IIRC. That way we compensate for the lower BYC first year salary for trade purposes, but still lower the overall average value of the deal. 

Of course Ayton would have to agree to this contract, but that is the point of pointing out earlier that he really isn't being heavily pursued for a max at this time.  

I get the structure - it still does not solve the issue for the Hawks having to clear another player's salary besides Capela to take Ayton's 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Yes. But a less than max contract can be structured with a descending scale where ~$30m is the first year with 5% decreases per year.

Players don't usually like doing this if they expect their following contract to be bigger (Ayton probably will) because it caps how much of an extension you can get.  I think it's 120% of the final year salary or 120% of the average salary, but what players will want is 120% of the final year on an escalating contract to maximize their earnings.  Someone here should comment if I'm wrong on that -- been a while since I reviewed.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I get the structure - it still does not solve the issue for the Hawks having to clear another player's salary besides Capela to take Ayton's 

image8-1.gif

One thing at a time JBird, lol. Obviously another player would have to be moved out on our end to a 3rd team, most likely Bogi or JC. 

If we're sending Bogi out too, then we probably won't get much if anything back in addition to Ayton, due to Bogi's current negative value. But if we send at JC with CC, then we need to be getting back at least a backup 4 or 5 in the deal too. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

image8-1.gif

One thing at a time JBird, lol. Obviously another player would have to be moved out on our end to a 3rd team, most likely Bogi or JC. 

If we're sending Bogi out too, then we probably won't get much if anything back in addition to Ayton, due to Bogi's current negative value. But if we send at JC with CC, then we need to be getting back at least a backup 4 or 5 in the deal too. 

HA.

You'd be paying a 1st for the 3rd team to take Bogi which just increases the value we are now paying for Ayton so in essence we are now overpaying for Ayton. If it's adding Griffin as the Bogi sweetener, we now don't have reliable SGs.

Which 3rd team are we getting this mysterious backup 4 or 5 from?  And is a backup value for JC?  

3 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

The problem is hunter wants JC money , 

Link to rumor please?

20 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

image8-1.gif

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

HA.

You'd be paying a 1st for the 3rd team to take Bogi which just increases the value we are now paying for Ayton so in essence we are now overpaying for Ayton. If it's adding Griffin as the Bogi sweetener, we now don't have reliable SGs.

Which 3rd team are we getting this mysterious backup 4 or 5 from?  And is a backup value for JC?  

Link to rumor please?

The weird thing is Harkless and Justin Holiday salaries match up perfectly if you sign Ayton to $29 million a year, trade Clint to Phx, move Harkless to a team and move Holiday to another team since they can't be aggregated together (if I'm understanding that correctly). 

Although, I don't believe you can do this trade until August.  You'll have to pay some draft comp to get teams to take on those salaries for their capspace, but considering how little they make you can use second round picks or HIGHLY protected first that turn into seconds. 

Edited by marco102

33 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

HA.

Link to rumor please?

Let's back up. I simply brought an article with info about 5 different possible Ayton destinations since Sothron said we're still in talks about it. If you want to get bogged down in the weeds or argue with the article then have at it. Not my interest today. 

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The weird thing is Harkless and Justin Holiday salaries match up perfectly if you sign Ayton to $29 million a year, trade Clint to Phx, move Harkless to a team and move Holiday to another team since they can't be aggregated together (if I'm understanding that correctly). 

Although, I don't believe you can do this trade until August.  You'll have to pay some draft comp to get teams to take on those salaries for their capspace, but considering how little they make you can use second round picks or HIGHLY protected first that turn into seconds. 

I keep forgetting about those 2, lol.

yes, they cannot be aggregated only traded by themselves, I think for 30 days. 

Definitely not using a 1st even if protected 1-29 for either with <$6 million in salary.

I'm just seeing the added cost to get Ayton and then pay him as cost prohibitive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GameTime said:

I don’t blame them. KD is historic nba figure but he’s 34. I mean he probably could play until he’s 40 but the impact is slowly leaving!
last playoffs was the worse I’ve ever seen KD. He’s normally always excellent in the playoffs even with bad teams but he really looked defeated this past playoffs.

Randle is a poor 3 point shooter, our team needs more spacing, not less.

Randle is a ball stopper, we are already trying to coach that out of Dre, no need to add more of it to the lineup.

Otherwise, sure why not (as in realistically, no)

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Nets Expected 'Tremendous Bidding War' For Kevin Durant, 'Bidding War Isn't Really Hot Right Now'

The Brooklyn Nets received a trade request from Kevin Durant a week ago and they appear no closer to an actual deal to send him away. Durant's two preferred teams are the Phoenix Suns and Miami Heat with the former team believed to be a clear No. 1.

"When the Nets put him on the market, I think there was going to be a tremendous bidding war," said Brian Windhorst on ESPN. "And while there's a lot of interest, from what I can tell, that bidding war isn't really hot right now. Teams have made their offers and don't really feel the need to increase them.

"Maybe we'll see a little bit of action coming out of Summer League, all of the executives are gathering in Las Vegas over the next few days and there could be a restart of action there.

"There's been a couple of thing that have happened that have even made it more complicated that involve the Utah Jazz. The Jazz make this trade with Rudy Gobert last week where they get an incredible haul of draft picks in which the Nets respond by saying 'the price for Durant just went higher.' And the rest of the league is kind of saying 'We don't think so. We don't want to pay that price. We didn't like that trade.'

"And then you look at Donovan Mitchell. After the Gobert trade, there was a belief that maybe Mitchell would be next. And maybe at some point he will be. For now, the Jazz are telling people they don't intend to trade him. And on Mitchell's side, he's going to stand pat, he's not going to force any action right now. Without Mitchell on the market, the teams are not trying to outbid each other. It doesn't make sense for teams to sell their house to pay for a car, even if that car is a Lamborghini like Kevin Durant."

Durant has four seasons remaining on his contract, but is 34 years old with an injury history and hasn't displayed an extended sense of happiness with his prior teams.

BRIAN WINDHORST/ESPN

• Like 1