• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Rockets at Hawks -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Atlanta had the backcourt of the future,

Traejountaevu :laugh:

But was he ever, really?

Smokin a stogie he looked content but that’s about it.

Despite Maravich and Hudson each eclipsing 25 PPG and earning All-Star nods once more, by midseason,

Could this be our backcourt this year. 25+ and all stars ⭐️? 

a veritable necessity with cheap take fouls now virtually off the table.

Thank goodness.

but interior field goal conversions left much to be desired.

No bunnies we gotta flush those opportunities.

“DeJohndre” is as crucial as “Dejountrae”

image.gif.322a04d467ec34bc79aa30969e12531c.gif

As usual, the only thing that can thwart a deadeye rookie of AJ Griffin’s caliber is McMillan’s will.

He’s ready to play 15 min now! 12.

This “Dejountrae” coupling ought to work out. It simply has to work out. How could it not?

Hope so!

2026 FIFA World Cup promises to bring the biggest international influx Atlanta has seen, over the course of several weeks,

That’s gonna be sick.

While the NBA East is more daunting a field than in seasons past, a return of the Southeast Division banner to the Farm is an attainable goal,

Yes sir! Let’s get it!

Miami heat

Boo!

I just want my Atlanta Hawks to chain together a couple seasons that, from beginning to end, are bloody good. Not bloody bad. If any noses wind up bleeding along the way, they should belong to cheerful fans packed in seats along the top rows of our majestic downtown arena.

From your lips to God’s ear.

Players socking their teammates in the face? Who does that?

:laugh1: 

Deke Fight! Let’s Go Hawks!

Lethal you slay us every year with these awesome game threads! Thank you sir! 

Get well Deke.

Go Hawks!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Plenty of side stories abound with the Rockets in town. There's the familiar face coming off the bench to spell Alperen Sengun:

Bruno Fernando spent two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks at the start of his NBA Career. 

The majority of Fernando's time was spent as a spectator from the sidelines. But Atlanta is where Fernando learned one of the most influential lessons of his career.

"[Clint Capela] told me once, 'every time you go into a new situation, look around and see what's missing,'" Fernando said. "Then ask yourself, 'if you can add that, then bring it to the table.'"

When the Houston Rockets acquired Fernando at the trade deadline from the Boston Celtics in February, he put his mentor's words into action — ironically for the same franchise where Capela began his career five years ago. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/words_of_wisdom_helped_bruno_fernando_find_home_with_rockets/s1_17031_37959078

There's the kid who wanted to be the #1 pick in the draft (that other guy will be in town on Friday), but gets to kick off his official pro career back where it all began:

Jabari Smith Jr. will return to the basketball court Wednesday night, just in time for the Houston Rockets 2022-23 season opener against the Atlanta Hawks.

"I got to rest my legs a little bit — that's a plus," Smith said. "It hurt not being out there competing with my teammates. But it was fun watching them. I was still around practicing and learning while I was out."

... Smith stepped onto the foot of Bruno Fernando at practice, which sidelined him for two weeks. 

But instead of having jitters ahead of his official NBA debut, Smith will feel at home inside the State Farm Arena. While draped in Rockets gear, Smith will be playing 40 minutes from his hometown of Fayetteville, Georgia. 

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/homecoming-jabari-smith-jr-houston-rockets-season-opener-vs-hawks

KPJ and Jalen Green will try to outdo the Dejountrae duo today, as Rox coach Stephen Silas fields similar questions about how much staggering we'll see. ATL prep stars like Jabari seem to soar up draft boards every year, and Sterling "Scoot" Henderson will be another NBA lottery prize in 2023. KPJ hopes to avoid that lottery linkup, if for no other reason than he goes by the same sobriquet:

Um, not necessarily like last game they played together most of the time, there was a time I think, it was the third quarter where I took Scoot out earlier than Jalen, or maybe the second quarter. I took Scoot out earlier than Jalen. Um, so it can depend game to game and I am really conscious of their rhythm, so I dont want to break their rhythm, but I also wanna make sure that they’re, uh, able to play their best which is you know, not 48 minutes.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2022/10/16/23407651/update-from-houston-rockets-practice

10% of surveyed GMs felt AJ Griffin was the top draft steal, but another Rockets rookie, taken one pick later, drew even more votes. The latter will get plenty of burn after standing out in Summer League and preseason, and hopes he'll get chances to show those who passed him up what they're missing. One former Rockets first-overall pick has an idea:

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

No surprise but Bogi remains out.

Rocket reserve Jae'Sean Tate (sore ankle) and yet another rookie, TyTy Washington (sprained knee), are listed as out ahead of tonight's matchup. Second-year pro Daishen Nix (probable, sore back) won a G-League title with Houston's affiliate in Rio Grande Valley and may find some playing time in place of Washington, depending on the mid-game margin.

~lw3

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Gonna' watch the game with my son (another big Hawks fan) up here in Chicago.
One of these days I need to go watch a game with Shakes sometime!

wait...are you my father?    

Agree on the second part...maybe we should go all out and do it at the UC?   

Monday, Jan 23 & Tuesday April 4....hmm.    Wish there was one on a weekend.  Not a huge fan of going to a game on weekday now that I live in the suburbs.