• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at 76ers

lethalweapon3

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'm going to keep beating the "trade Hunter and start AJ" drum until it either happens, AJ is traded or I drop dead. Nate is costing us games by sitting AJ.

I mentioned this in the last game thread. Our offense is ass. I started counting passes per possession and it was insanely low. Trae and DJM take turns dribbling the air out of the ball. The lack of anyone besides Jalen and maybe Bogi as another passer is killing us. The lack of shooting and by that I mean guys that usually CAN make shots in Trae and JC is killing us.

If this is how JC is going to play with his messed up finger then we have to move him. I love that guy but this isn't the JC we gave the extension to. He has consistently been a good outside shooting 4 up until the finger injury.

Read JTB's post about Collins up above.  I think he has summed it up perfectly.

Edited by Watchman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Couldn't be more clear that AJ is ready for 20+ minutes a game.  You have to have players that can make shots in the game... even if his defense is bad, it can't be much worse than what we have in Holiday anyways.  I'd be sad to move Hunter as I think he can still become a solid player, but I would not be sad to see JC go.  We need more size in our front court if that's not painfully obvious.  JC is nice and can be a 20 PPG player in the right setting but I don't think that's with the Hawks.  I think Schlenk really wanted to move him this summer and missed his shot, and now it's going to be harder on that contract given his production in Nate's anemic offense.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Can you explain why he started out so well and then dropped off? .I don't think anyone gains the spotlight and then intentionally loses it, do you?  It is obvious he is in Trae's doghouse again, and no one in management or his teammates has the guts to challenge him on the issue.  It's Trae's team.

Look who we played. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, JTB said:

While this is true it’s also true that McMillan and his staff aren’t creative enough to use all these offensive strengths and weapons that are on this team. I get it though, Cap can’t do much else on offense but there are other ways to use him and JC. That’s the part that really has me up in the air with McMillan because JC simply STILL doesn’t have plays ran for him and he should have the MOST plays ran for him on the team in my opinion. Trae & Murray will get theirs regardless. If Collins get good looks he can be a threat but we do THREE things with Collins offensively….(1) Minimum Pick and Rolls or Pick and Pops (2) Corner 3 spot up (3) high post face up jumper after JC sizes up his defender

Collins isn’t used to set off ball screens nearly enough. He’s not used to come off screens ever. McMillan never puts him in a handoff position from Trae or Murray. Because of Nate’s scheme Collins doesn’t get any opportunities for back door cuts to the basket. Offensive rebounds are hard to come by for JC because he’s always on the perimeter….it’s a mess for McMillans offense.

I agree with this.  I'm befuddled that everybody is pissing on JC tonight. Tonight he was 0-3 from 3pt but he was 2-3 from 2...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Couldn't be more clear that AJ is ready for 20+ minutes a game.  You have to have players that can make shots in the game... even if his defense is bad, it can't be much worse than what we have in Holiday anyways.  I'd be sad to move Hunter as I think he can still become a solid player, but I would not be sad to see JC go.  We need more size in our front court if that's not painfully obvious.  JC is nice and can be a 20 PPG player in the right setting but I don't think that's with the Hawks.  I think Schlenk really wanted to move him this summer and missed his shot, and now it's going to be harder on that contract given his production in Nate's anemic offense.

If he can be a 20 PPG player, why are you suggesting moving the player?

I want you to do some research Jeffrey..  How many 20 ppg PFs have we had as a Franchise (after Pettit)?

Let me help you...

• Moses Malone was with us for 3 years, he had 1 season of 20 ppg. 
  • Kevin Willis was with us 11 years, he had 1 season of 20 ppg. 
  • Shareef was with us for 3.5 years, he had 2 seasons of 20 ppg. 
  • Sapp didn't do it. 
  • Smoove didn't do it. 
  • Roundfield didn't do it. 

So far JC has 1 season where he scored 20 ppg for us.   And you believe that he can be a 20 ppg player...  Now that I have proven to you how freaking rare that is, why are you suggesting moving the player???

• Like 4

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Couldn't be more clear that AJ is ready for 20+ minutes a game.  You have to have players that can make shots in the game... even if his defense is bad, it can't be much worse than what we have in Holiday anyways.

Small sample size. But, fwiw....

2022-11-12_23-27-17.png

(Doesn't include tonight's game. Team DRTG through 12 games was 110.2)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If he can be a 20 PPG player, why are you suggesting moving the player?

I want you to do some research Jeffrey..  How many 20 ppg PFs have we had as a Franchise (after Pettit)?

Let me help you...

• Moses Malone was with us for 3 years, he had 1 season of 20 ppg. 
  • Kevin Willis was with us 11 years, he had 1 season of 20 ppg. 
  • Shareef was with us for 3.5 years, he had 2 seasons of 20 ppg. 
  • Sapp didn't do it. 
  • Smoove didn't do it. 
  • Roundfield didn't do it. 

So far JC has 1 season where he scored 20 ppg for us.   And you believe that he can be a 20 ppg player...  Now that I have proven to you how freaking rare that is, why are you suggesting moving the player???

I keep drawing on this analogy, and sorry, but this is one I'm right about....

You can have an offensive line that is built on size and strength, and you can have an o-line that is built on speed. Teams have been successful using both philosophies. It's when you try to do both that it gets you in trouble... because you compromise your speed when you add slower guys, and you compromise your ability to bully the other team when you try to mix faster, lighter guys.

Our front office favors bigs who can get up and down the floor over bigs who can't do that so well but can dominate with their height and weight over their opponents.

JC fits that. To try to go away from that in favor of someone bigger is to water down a core strength of the roster.

More importantly, give yourself another legit option in the low post, damn it. You've got that 15th slot. You've got a two year window before DJM is a flight risk. This is the time, this is the place. Shove the chips in, and let's contend.

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

This team is still feeling each other out.   Not that concerned about it.  Where was all this whining on Thursday Night?  Oh yeah, the whiners only come out when we lose.

You have off season over the summer (pick up games)

training camp (practice all day with coach and teammates and refs and whistles)

preseason games (pick up games, practice w/real time coaching and teammates and ref whistles)

Regular season play 13 live action games on the road and home. 

How many excuses are you going to make for a bunch of professionals who eat drink and sleep their job from summer until Spring? 

Still feeling each other out? Lordt...what would you say will be a good date to finally gel? 

• Haha 1

I know.  It doesn't really matter.  All starters had a (-) and all non-starters had a (+) for the night.  Defense couldn't stop their hot shooting (and all those early free throws) and our starters couldn't get their shots to drop.  

Question:  Are these two earning more playing time?   JJ played 11 minutes, hit 2 of 3 for 4 points and had a (+) 3.  AJ played 12 minutes, hit 3 of 3's for 9 points and had a (+) 3.

Neither of these two are really terrible on defense.  Both rebound, can handle the ball and are willing and able to make a decent pass.  I know.  They are young, inexperienced and not nearly an all star.  On the other hand, neither are the players that they sub in for.

I plead guilty.  I post a lot about our non-starters.  Why?  Because, the better they play, the harder the starters must play to keep their starting positions.  

🧑‍🔧Still learning!

• Like 3

I'm glad I watched the full game to see them at least get back into it with 6 minutes left.  The overall trend concerning to me is the obscure offense we are running.  The Trae and Murray ISO sets for an entire game is hard to watch.  Over the course of a game you are asking guys to take more low percentage shots, and you have to make up for it with low turnovers, defense, and rebounding.  How else do you win a game making six 3's?

With Capela playing well again we can continue to grind out wins, but from a roster construction POV it's hard to see the fit with Collins and Hunter as long term solutions.  That is $45M on two guys that kill your ball movement.  I think our bench can improve with AJ and Bogi taking minutes from the Holidays, but we have all five starters signed for the next two seasons.  There is a longer term commitment to Collins and Hunter.  

Maybe the answer is you play Bogi or AJ with the starters.  Bring in Hunter with the bench.  It keeps more dribble, pass, shoot balance on the court at all times.   Bench unit becomes Trae/DJM, Bogi, Hunter, Jalen, and Okongwu.  Starters Trae, DJM, AJ, Collins, and Capela. 

We're looking to AJ to make us contenders basically.  If he can't do it, Schlenk needs to make a move.  Although, we're supposed to wait another 7 games to make conclusions.        

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So he's good enough to guard these same players in the critical 4th quarter but not in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd????? :ahf:

E705F50B-DE87-433E-8EF6-2BC2527F9BF5.thumb.jpeg.b1dfacc195e42a1b439a4736c7c4cbfb.jpeg

4C1C4887-19BB-4670-95FD-806D3CDB8BB7.thumb.jpeg.5def335ceb124f2ff94dae67ace68d87.jpeg

Kid has arguably been the most efficient rook ON BOTH ENDS up there with the Kessler kid who dominated us.  This chart was before last night where he was a +3 and likely even higher.  I’m so straight on Nathan.

So funny league-wide he’s right there with Delon, another useful guard Nate had to be brow beat to play smh.  DJ on par with Markannan and Book is a good look.

06F00F70-DB10-4785-915B-6623D94359BC.thumb.jpeg.ba6c79c87e5d849e96976ec380287199.jpeg

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

This team is still feeling each other out.

Game #13 of 25 for those who took the 25 game pledge.

Those who didn't do that, their resistance says more about them than it does the Hawks. Just sayin. 😉

• Like 2

Tough one all around. I just finished it myself. We came out sluggish and dug too big of a hole. Guys still experimenting with each other and learning one another’s preferences and habits. (Aka Burd mention of the DM bounce passes etc.) 

PLAY AJ! Said from day 1 he isn’t an ordinary rook. This kid has been groomed to play since he was born. Those long nights of shooting and defending pops Adrian really paid off. Nate has gotten loosen the leash for him. If a player outperforms another it shouldn’t matter if he’s a rook or not.

AJ whammy on Embiid was the moment of the game. 

Another reason I say Trae is the best passer I’ve seen outside of Magic Johnson. He drives in and attracts the ENTIRE Sixers defense and cracks in our to AJ for a WIDE open look. THAT PASS HURT MY ABS JUST LOOKING AT IT! 

I want more from Hunter and JC. Their bodies and game signify they can DO WAAAYYY MORE, but they seem to be missing some basic fundamentals. Like Hunter needs to learn how to dribble and secure the ball. JC needs to work on some moves, he’s being too predictable. Get some moves or find some moves and makem your sig.

We missed OO big time. At least his D on Embiid.

Speaking of Embiid, what a bum! He’s gotta break 40 points so he launches a three instead of being a classy guy and taking a turnover.

He’s just mad that every Hawk player enjoys dunking on his bummy fat outta shape head! :angry2:

GO HAWKS!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did Justin Holiday catch Nate making love to somebody in his office or something? Why is he getting burn 🔥 over AJ?  I mean AJ brings better D than JHol too. Better D, a feel for the basket, a great three point shot taker AND MAKER. We gotta a lotta takers but not everyone hits at the rate of an AJ. I don’t know what his numbers are statistically @benhillboy but he’s gotta be one of the most efficient rookies in the last decade or ao, no? I mean as far as production in the minutes given to him? This is the moment I wish I could retire to my nerdery and crunch your some +/-‘s! 

• Like 3