• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Mavericks at Hawks (6 PM Tip!)

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae Young is having one of his worse years as a pro.

I'll agree with that. But I'm willing to attribute a hunk of it to learning to play with DJ, and now, to learning how to play within a new head coach. Had we seen a more Trae-like season, I agree there would be some difference in the W/L column. Significant difference? Plausibly.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I'm not sure what you think people are saying is Hunter's fault.  He has basically completed the best season of his career.  I hoped for a bigger jump for him but he was largely healthy and more productive than ever.  He had a solid year.

Solid, okay maybe, but disappointing nonetheless from my perspective because I've had higher expectations, not just hopes.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

My guess was Travis jumped the gun.

I'm really really confounded about who was making what decisions when. All I can really have any confidence in saying is that there was not peace, love and understanding in the Hawks front office over the summer of 2022. (And yes, nothing funny about that, Elvis C.)

Some, evidently, were less than enthusiastic about parting with the additional 1st round pick in the DJM deal.

Some, evidently, were less than enthusiastic about the KVon deal.

Travis would be effectively let go in December over... what Tony now  confesses... was disagreement about how receptive Travis was to other voices having traction in the final decision... which is perhaps another way of saying, Tony insisted on Travis having a more democratic process, and either Travis had had enough by December, or Tony had had enough.

Both were evidently frustrated, and the conventional wisdom would be that the one holding more power was imposing himself (or his kid, by proxy) on decisions since (at least) July 2022.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I'll agree with that. But I'm willing to attribute a hunk of it to learning to play with DJ, and now, to learning how to play within a new head coach. Had we seen a more Trae-like season, I agree there would be some difference in the W/L column. Significant difference? Plausibly.

Solid, okay maybe, but disappointing nonetheless from my perspective because I've had higher expectations, not just hopes.

People like Peo and me did not expect as much from Hunter as you so we think it was a solid year for Hunter.  We may have had hopes and dreams for more but we recognize he didn’t have enough promise to really bank on more growth than what we actually got this season.  For us, this was a solid year not a disappointment.  (Correct me if you find this year disappointing for Hunter, @Peoriabird.  I don’t want to put words in your mouth but I think you believe Hunter had a solid to good year.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Ya'll keep going and going about the offseason last year but the issue was the starting frontcourt and it went unchanged.

You mean the starting front court actually being healthy?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why are posters so quick to blame front office mismanagement and players like Hunter vs max players like Trae Young?  Trae Young is having one of his worse years as a pro...Young's numbers are almost as bad a his rookie season but yet he is earning $41 million per year on average.  But for some reason, its Hunter's fault even though he is having one of his better seasons!  I just don't understand Hawk fans period

Because even at his worse, he gives us our best chance to win. 

You're blaming the engine when we have bad tires, a poor battery, our brake pads are worn down..    Sure Trae has his struggles, but he's not the problem with this team. 

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Because even at his worse, he gives us our best chance to win. 

You're blaming the engine when we have bad tires, a poor battery, our brake pads are worn down..    Sure Trae has his struggles, but he's not the problem with this team. 

His contract is a problem tho. He needs to be way more impactful. He needs to dominate offensively to justify his impact. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No, them here period. Both should be gone. Obviously, I would rather keep Capela but I want to upgrade him the most. 

It's a shame you can't see the beauty of having a two headed monster playing C.   It doesn't matter who starts.  OO is starting to demand more minutes but that doesn't mean get rid of CC. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

His contract is a problem tho. He needs to be way more impactful. He needs to dominate offensively to justify his impact. 

27/10...

Our problems are not with Trae.  They are with us not having guys who can consistently step up.   We have 1 three point shooter.   Maybe 2 and they both come off the bench.   That's a problem. 

We have 1 real slashing wing.    We are the model of inconsistence which is why we are the middiest team in the game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

27/10...

Our problems are not with Trae.  They are with us not having guys who can consistently step up.   We have 1 three point shooter.   Maybe 2 and they both come off the bench.   That's a problem. 

We have 1 real slashing wing.    We are the model of inconsistence which is why we are the middiest team in the game. 

This is 2023, please join us and stop living in 1994

• Like 2

Thinking that we know what this Hawk team needs (Don't we all?) who will we draft?  Being in the middle of the draft we can't get the big lottery pick but we don't expect to pick close to last.  We're a .500 team that will pick in the middle of the draft.  Any ideas of who or what position we're looking for?

:stirthepot:

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is 2023, please join us and stop living in 1994

I'm here and accounted for... it's past Jan 6 so stop spreading fear!

Here's the thing..

• CC and OO are a great one two punch...  but you only see... get rid of the value buy we have at C who is a league leader in rebounding and who still gets timely game saving blocks. 
  • Trae is one of the best players in the game.  Historic even..  Yet you say he's the problem.
  • Our defensive scheme is a joke to teams that are paying attention. 
  • Our offense is one of the worst three point shooting teams playing. 

Let's examine this...

image.png

From 10-14ft, we're first in the NBA in FG%.

image.png

From 15-19 ft, we're 4th in the league. 

image.png

From 20-24 ft...  We're 4th from the bottom in FG%... That's what 25th??

We're say 25th.. but look at this:

image.png

In terms of attempts from 20-24 feet we're 9th.

This is the disconnect.  We are a midrange team and we keep shooting threes that don't fall.   We have 2 guys who I trust to hit three point shots.. maybe 3.. .and all of them come off the bench.  Nobody understood how much we would miss Gallo.   That's as big a loss as Kvon.   But we miss both of them and their shooting.   We're better in the midrange but midrange is something that we don't use enough...  What I mean is that we're dominant in 10-19 feet and we shoot just a little more of those shots  than we do 20-24 feet that we're not so good shooting. 

Time to go with what brought us. 

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I'm here and accounted for... it's past Jan 6 so stop spreading fear!

Here's the thing..

• CC and OO are a great one two punch...  but you only see... get rid of the value buy we have at C who is a league leader in rebounding and who still gets timely game saving blocks. 
  • Trae is one of the best players in the game.  Historic even..  Yet you say he's the problem.
  • Our defensive scheme is a joke to teams that are paying attention. 
  • Our offense is one of the worst three point shooting teams playing. 

Let's examine this...

image.png

From 10-14ft, we're first in the NBA in FG%.

image.png

From 15-19 ft, we're 4th in the league. 

image.png

From 20-24 ft...  We're 4th from the bottom in FG%... That's what 25th??

We're say 25th.. but look at this:

image.png

In terms of attempts from 20-24 feet we're 9th.

This is the disconnect.  We are a midrange team and we keep shooting threes that don't fall.   We have 2 guys who I trust to hit three point shots.. maybe 3.. .and all of them come off the bench.  Nobody understood how much we would miss Gallo.   That's as big a loss as Kvon.   But we miss both of them and their shooting.   We're better in the midrange but midrange is something that we don't use enough...  What I mean is that we're dominant in 10-19 feet and we shoot just a little more of those shots  than we do 20-24 feet that we're not so good shooting. 

Time to go with what brought us. 

This is a complete misunderstanding of data points from you Diesel

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So according to Diesel, Everyone else on the team should be able to shoot.  But Trae gets a pass!  SMH!

Where do you get the idea that Trae gets a "pass"?  A pass means he is free from criticism of his shooting.  You think he has not been criticized on this site this year for his shooting?  I can dig up receipts for you if you want, but it is so obvious that he hasn't gotten a free pass that I hardly think it is worth the effort.

• Like 2