• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets (7 PM EST) -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, thecampster said:

He looks at him, turns his head and shakes it no. I'm not sure what you're seeing???  Second 5 he's looking right at OO, second 6 he turns his head left, OO's hand is outstretch, second 7, he shakes it no.

We are talking 2 seconds.

At 5 seconds he maybe looking in OO's direction but is behind him, at 6 seconds his head is already turned, OO's hand isn't in an outstretched position as yet, as OO's hand comes into view Hunter head remains turned, at this point he is already ahead of OO's outstretched hand. He never looks back at OO and I definitely didn't see a head shake no. OO is actually leaning forward to try to reach him which means Hunter is already ahead.

Sorry bud, this one ain it.

• Like 1

I didn’t know Brandon Miller from a can of paint before last night.  I was quite impressed with his feel and shooting form/ confidence.  I always was intrigued with Charlotte’s C battery based on their stats having never seen them but they were in fact as rugged as I perceived.  

LaMelo looked slick mentally challenged at times.  He’s fallen so far from the promise of his rookie campaign.

No surprise in terms of JJ, he showed last season he can do pretty much what he wants on the offensive end.  Obviously John’s team defensive impact will be felt as JJ learns his way there: won’t happen overnight.

Poor Dwight.  I used to kill dude even when he was at his peak.  He just never seemed all there.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, thecampster said:

He looks at him, turns his head and shakes it no. I'm not sure what you're seeing???  Second 5 he's looking right at OO, second 6 he turns his head left, OO's hand is outstretch, second 7, he shakes it no.

I can't believe I'm doing this :laugh1:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

OO's hand comes into view, Hunter's head still turnedimage.png

Still turned

image.png

image.png

He's already past OO as OO is leaning forward towards him

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

So it will be last season all over again, right?

Besides our lack of shooting, One of the biggest problems for this team IMO, is that Murray is a bad on-ball defender. We all know Trae is bad, but that(I assume) was a big reason why they got DJ, to have one above average defensive guard. He's still good off-ball, but when both he and Trae are in the game, we don't really have anyone that can provide much resistance at the point of attack. Hunter still probably the best here, though JJ has moments of looking really good at it. But really tough on the D when both guards are just bad against fast guards. smh

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question

If the Hawks shot a dismal 9 - 29, but won this game by 6 points, how would everyone feel?

Also, I thought this was interesting.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=lowest+3fg%+in+a+game+by+the+hawks+since+2018

For me, it's almost like viewing last night through 2 different lenses.  On the one hand, the team shot 17% from 3pt and lost by 6 pts. If they shot what was last year's league worst at 32%, they win by 6pts. If they shoot last year's team avg they win by double digits.  So, yeah, the loss to a bad Hornets team SUCKS.  But bad shooting happens from time to time.  Even if they don't end up being a great or even good 3pt shooting team, on most nights they win that game.  So the whole "sky is falling crowd" are just overreacting to one game without any real reason to.  

On the other hand, there were legit reasons to not like the style of play from last night in terms of falling back into the hero ball that was a staple of the Nate era.  Like it has been said, old habits die hard.  And we haven't built up the good habits of Quin ball yet.  But struggling through Game 1 with about 2 quarters of good offense and 2 quarters of hero ball is not the end of the world.  It sucked last night for sure, but it's just a building block.  I fully expect them to get more and more away from Nate's "system" and closer to Quin's system as the year progresses.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would feel better but still have mixed emotions.  Even if it wins us a game, I don't want to see us revert to Nate ball so that would still be upsetting win or lose.

That said, we are going to have bad games over the course of the season and being able to grind those out with a win is the difference between being a 41 win team and a 50 win team with the same talent.  So I do want to see  us pull these out but for the long-term I want to see a fully invested switch to Quin ball regardless of the shooting %.

Agreed.  Nate ball isn't sustainable.  Full stop.  We reverted to it for too long late last night. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

For me, it's almost like viewing last night through 2 different lenses.  On the one hand, the team shot 17% from 3pt and lost by 6 pts. If they shot what was last year's league worst at 32%, they win by 6pts. If they shoot last year's team avg they win by double digits.  So, yeah, the loss to a bad Hornets team SUCKS.  But bad shooting happens from time to time.  Even if they don't end up being a great or even good 3pt shooting team, on most nights they win that game.  So the whole "sky is falling crowd" are just overreacting to one game without any real reason to.  

On the other hand, there were legit reasons to not like the style of play from last night in terms of falling back into the hero ball that was a staple of the Nate era.  Like it has been said, old habits die hard.  And we haven't built up the good habits of Quin ball yet.  But struggling through Game 1 with about 2 quarters of good offense and 2 quarters of hero ball is not the end of the world.  It sucked last night for sure, but it's just a building block.  I fully expect them to get more and more away from Nate's "system" and closer to Quin's system as the year progresses.  

We heard a lot from the players and coaches that the focus on training camp was mostly geared to defense, so I guess the habitual Quin offense will take time.  Having said that we had too many wide open misses, gotta be better at those.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, NekiEcko said:

You mean two first and a swap?  Besides if Kings picks comes through this year, we can traded it for another pick in the future, so its no big deal

this. DJM resigning us with a team friendly deal made that trade a win for us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NekiEcko said:

You mean two first and a swap?  Besides if Kings picks comes through this year, we can traded it for another pick in the future, so its no big deal

You REALLY went into the minutia of the deal. I don't care if the deal was 1 first rounder, Wemby and a layaway plan.  The Spurs won that deal and I trust THEM to win a chip before the Atlanta Hawks. I've been following this show in Atlanta since the late 1970s.  Teams like Golden State, San Antonio, Boston, Los Angeles, Miami, etc.  win chips, tear it down,  rebuild and win another while the Hawks can't even GET to the NBA finals and you gonna go into the minutia of what the Spurs did? lmao

Edited by Hawkmoor

14 hours ago, Bonkers said:

U guarantee u that there are posters on here that would rather have Trae than Wemby LOL

You made a typo.  I agree there are folks here who would rather take Trae also.  Look, I want the Hawks to win a championship.  I've been down this road since the 1970s. Its CONSTANT rebuilding with this team.  Trae is NOT a championship caliber player to build around.  It is what it is.  He needs waaay too much help AND his style of play isn't conducive to winning TEAM basketball.  Now Wemby, thats a player you build around.  Its like they took a computer and combined Jordan, Durant, Kareem, Mutumbo, Duncan, Isiah Thompson,  Steve Nash, and made that player 7 foot tall.  I've never seen anything like it and I've been watching basketball since the late 1970s.

wemby-victor-wembanyama.gif

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I have no idea why Wemby's name is coming up in this thread.  We didn't give him up.  We had no chance to acquire him.  The Spurs weren't offering him for Trae.  Wemby means nothing to this team.  Wish we had him, but I wished we had Duncan too.  Irrelevant to assessing this team.

Folks act like the Spurs are some model franchise.  They egregiously tanked for one season to land a generational talent and rode him to a bunch of titles.  That's their claim to fame.  Do they win those championships if they got the 2 or 3rd ping pong ball and picked Keith Van Horn or Chauncey Billups?

They had a second mvp level player but drove him right out the door.  

I think we played good defense for the most part in this game. Our shooting was atrocious. 

basically that’s it. No need to nitpick.

after watching the Braves fail again I n the playoffs I don’t care as much about regular season wins as long as we get home court in the east.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

I have no idea why Wemby's name is coming up in this thread.  We didn't give him up.  We had no chance to acquire him.  The Spurs weren't offering him for Trae.  Wemby means nothing to this team.  Wish we had him, but I wished we had Duncan too.  Irrelevant to assessing this team.

I remember when the Hawks had the #1 pick and could have drafted David Robinson. But the Spurs tricked us! I remember when the Hawks had the #1 pick and could have drafted Tim Duncan. But the Spurs tricked us!

I remember when the Hawks had the #1 pick and could have drafted Wemby. But the Spurs tricked us!

I just have to point out the sheer inanity of the post that @AHF is responding to. Getting a young All Star guard to resign with your team on a team friendly contract for only two firsts and a pick swap is a great trade. Anyone who thinks differently is just bonkers. And I don't mean the poster...

• Haha 2