Official Game Thread: 76ers at Hawks -- IST Game #2

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Are you “around” or aren’t you?

(Should be more precise with my words, sorry... though, otoh, it's not like it's not self-evident... 🙂 ... I've been around as little as once in a couple of months, or as much as once or twice a week, but it's only for purposes unrelated to the 2022-23 team's performance/results since I've legit checked out of concerning myself with any of that... only engaging in topics that preceded leaving my marriage... NBA marriage, that is.)

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We need to feature Bogi on offense the same way we used to feature Korver. One can’t deny our team comes alive when Bogi is knocking down shots. That three ball puts so much pressure on a defense and Bogi is the only one you can consistently count on to stroke it.

Trae, DJ, Dre are just too inconsistent of shooters to be on the court together at the most crucial moments.

I have pushed against it for years but Bogi might be best suited replacing Dre at SF in the starting lineup. Especially with Trae not being a big weakness on defense anymore.

We have to get out of the starting blocks faster and I think Bogi needs to be on the floor to jumpstart our offense. 

Our best units night in and out are with Trae, DJ, Bogi, JJ, OO and Bey. We have to get more minutes out of these 6 in whatever combination. Dre and CC still have their stretch but it needs to be more strategic and less featured. 

At the very least, Bogi needs to close the game.

That's the drum I'll beat the entire year, if we're still hovering around .500.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, yungsta said:

Yea, we owe our 25 pick and 27 pick with 26 pick swap so the fate of this team is sealed for the next 3 - 4 seasons.

IMO what makes it worst is that by the time we no longer owe picks, Trae and Dejoune will need new contracts so we can't trade them for a rebuilding package prior to that if we wanted to go that route if it doesn't work out.

I never been a fan of the trade from day 1, I completely understand why Schlenk left immediately after being forced by the FO to make that trade.

david-cross-we-are-fucked.gif.0a49dd8ece104b5f6d4a8fb44ee16e03.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I remember it well.  Difference of opinion about who to draft.

Spud wanted Big OO and I wanted Haliburton.  

Spud won that round.  Now, in the next game, they face off.  They play different positions but I expect to see them both on the floor at the same time.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:

We couldnt draft Hali because he didnt want to be here remember? smh

Schlenk was such a clown..

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Packfill said:

I would note that Philly is playing very differently this year without Harden then it did last year with him.  

I don't think not having Collins is a big change for the team.  He did not have the ball in his hands much, nor was the offense designed around him.  Not having a high usage player like Harden was for Philly last year, in my view, have a more meaningful impact on the way a team plays.

I agree.  JC did not have the ball in his hands much...Nor was the offense designed around him.  Now look at us.

JJ (JC's replacement) has the ball in his hands alot.   He runs our offense just a little less than DJ and Trae.   Something that JC never did.  The whole team has to conform to this new offense.   JJ has to learn where everybody likes the ball.   Trae has to learn to play in space without the ball.  Hunter has to learn how to go inside and crash the boards.  Our whole offense has changed. 

Whereas when you mention Philly.  Maxie is doing the same thing that Harden used to do last year.  Embiid is doing the same thing he used to do last year.   Last night, I mentioned how Maxie either drove to the basket when he got a chance to get downhill or he shot from outside.  Guess what Harden did last year?  Same thing.   I talked about how the offense flowed from Embiid in the high post.   Guess what Embiid did last year... Same Thing.   The big difference for Philly is that now they have a fast break.   The run out on the shooters.    That's their main difference.   Nurse found a way to make Tibias Harris worth something and at the same time, improve Maxie's ability to get downhill. 

Check it out...

image.png

Notice...
Embiid High post.  All the same things we saw last night.  They were doing last year. 

The secret to their offense is this..

Embiid is high post... it frees up the inside for Harden/Maxie to get downhill and score or kick it out to a 3 or 4...  They are doing the same stuff... because it works. 

This is why a lot of people want us to try to bring Embiid here.   He's high post, giving Trae the room to work the middle. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Dnice said:

Wth is up with Murray? He can't keep things afloat with Trae on the bench?

It's not on Murray.. He was having a rough game.

But there's something different to consider...

People ignore it.. but it's hard to ignore..   Trae' Gravity.   People act like Gravity is not real... Gravity is very real for Trae Young.  As long as other teams believe that Trae Young is the only Hawk that will hurt them, they will focus on him and pull their defense away from others.  This means that even when Trae isn't playing exceptionally well, his gravity is helping everybody to eat...  That coupled with the fact that he's a master level passer... and other players Thrive when Trae is on the floor. 

When Trae leaves... all the gravity goes with him.   Against Certain Teams, DJ is going to still be able to ball out.

But Last night.. The refs took the night off.  They were allowing all kind of holding and pushing...  That doesn't benefit DJ's game.   DJ is a finesse guy.  He's not a power guy.   He won't get punked but Like Hunter... but he's not going to power through somebody pushing him. Robco was pushing all night.  That guy Springer is a bowling ball with feet.   He is completely wreckless.  He runs into the middle of the crowd and knock everybody over and the refs don't look at their whistle.  That's not going to work for DJ.  JJ can work through that.  WesMAT can work through that... But DJ not as easily. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya this dude is ballin Gramps, and your Mark Williams in Charlotte too. Honestly, I think OO needs to step up now. Like Hunter, no more excuses, Hunter 2019.. OO 2020… it’s 2024… I think we need our big to step up now. 

Honestly, I imagined OO being a bit more involved this year, I mean, if it’s not all about numbers for O, and it isn’t his main concern, then get us wins, make those key plays, otherwise @Wretch is gonna be right and we may as well have drafted Paul Reed in round 2. Wretch didn’t say Reed but Wretch did say an OO type could be had later in the draft instead of the 6th pick.

I need OO from Chino Hills to get this thing lit 🔥. Comon man, you better than that. It’s time to get minutes and start producing more..

@Gray Mule had we drafted Hali in 2020 with the 6th pick, could he and Trae have shared a backcourt like Trae and DJ do now? Oh my.. that’s a TON of really great passing in the backcourt.. oooohhhh myyyy..{in my best d*ck Enberg impersonation}.. 😯 

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My special lady was impressed. A lil too impressed for my liking. 😕 Boy glidin around in his lil skimpy John Stockton throwback shorts  🩳 doin dang near everything… color me impressed. He’s been our best overall player this year across the board. I’m not sure there is much more to ask of him but keep on cookin! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Put me in coach.  I can get some rebounds AND be an enforcer.

E4aY2DMWQAE-Gc2.thumb.jpg.980b15e780444e7ef253b6fd4d5e248d.jpg

YA’LLLLLLLLLL FLLLLLLLLEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXX TIME TO HAVE … {family show edit}… 😶 

Hoping :deke: isn’t in the club.. the question will arise….  🦉 😐 

57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

At the very least, Bogi needs to close the game.

Spreading the floor is underrated it gets Trae feelin frisky in what seems to be a more open court free flowin game. 

Can you imagine Trae in the Nellie system of Golden State in 1991… his offensive numbers would be off the charts. 

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

My special lady was impressed. A lil too impressed for my liking. 😕 Boy glidin around in his lil skimpy John Stockton throwback shorts  🩳 doin dang near everything… color me impressed. He’s been our best overall player this year across the board. I’m not sure there is much more to ask of him but keep on cookin! 

Did she know you were trying to trade him?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

I don't think our issues are that big for that long. 

I think our main issue is just learning how to put it all together at the same time. 

At times... JJ has been a beast.   At times... DJ has been a beast.   At times... Trae has been a beast.   We just have to learn how to put it together at the same time. 

The negative Nancies of this board hate to give credit to anything we do well.  Let's talk about last night. 

You talk about our Center combo...

Last night... Our starting 4 and 5 combined for:

35 pts, 22 rebounds, 4 assists, & 4 blocks on 61% from the field and 78% from the FT..

Can you ask for much better?

It just so happens that DJ had a bad game and Hunter was tossed at the beginning of the third. 

We're still a young team and we're learning how to put it together.   That was against a grizzled vet team with the reigning MVP playing one of his best games. 

I know Clint is supposed to be the shitlist player right now but the dude put up 17 & 11 and nobody says nothing.  People are bitching about the one bunny that he missed and missing the point that he hit so many other bunnies. 

If Hunter is not thrown out... we might win this game.   We were pretty strong back and fourth in the first half.   At one point in the 2nd Qtr, I was beginning to wonder why people think the 76ers are good.   We just have to give it the time it deserves.. we have seen that we do things better than before. 

I certainly hope you are right D, especially on the system part and I know we are going through it , but some teams just wreck our new system and im.not.sure 20 games is enough for this to be fleshed out. But no we not giving props to clint in a night where he doing what he supposed to do, he's supposed to give us a double double, it rarely happens anymore, I understand we are not running the pnr but that means he's not a fit then, and that will be pointed out as such. 

More interested in what we should do if and when this thing starts clicking and what player are real fits and who are t because they're is no way all these guys are going to fit together in a completely different system. 

Edited by hylndr11

40 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

I did like seeing Hunter get tossed though sometime you wonder if he's even thinking about the game he is playing in, or magic city 

Dre would be the most boring person ever to hit the clubs with.. 😀