• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The problem with Trae is the last 3 seasons. Not the first 3. He's peaked and for a player we are giving 47+ to, man, it limits us to a degree. 

🤨 Trae has played in 4 full seasons. This is his 5th. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Played good initial defense on the poke away and then just gave him a free lane to the basket. :blanky:

He's no defensive stopper, thats for sure...

Hes not quick laterally at all...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

I'd comfortably pick Trae over Fox. They have a better team around him overall than the Hawks do, he's been a better scorer this year but nowhere near the playmaker. He's definitely bridged the gap this year quite a bit though. 

Imagine Trae with Sabonis.  We need a skilled big with Trae.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

Imagine Trae with Sabonis.  We need a skilled big with Trae.

We better take 2 BIGS in the 1st rd this year.. Hopefully we'll hit on one... Because I dont see one right now that could be on the block for a trade..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Some of us wanted to trade for Sabonis right after the ECF run and got shamed for proposing it:
image.thumb.png.b79fd0559b1b9cc729cee2571acd0a67.png

Here were the responses:
image.png.6420e7692f8114f1d165d5b79a0b869f.png

image.png.6c45f56ace0516b64d3560d7ed80f36f.png

Everyone thought our team was perfect summer of 2021.  Guess how many likes my post got suggesting we bring in guys like Lillard, Sabonis, and Towns vs the post suggesting JC is better than Sabonis?  I got 1 like and JC>Sabonis got 6.  

There was one post in the thread saying we already have a Big 3: Trae, Cam, and Dre.  It probably got a bunch of likes, too.

I hear you.  We have made some poor decisions consistently as a franchise.

Our talent evaluation overall.

image.gif

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Some of us wanted to trade for Sabonis right after the ECF run and got shamed for proposing it:

Here were the responses:

Just go ahead and quote me.  I won't be offended.

Sabonis was traded for the 12th pick (Hali), Buddy (considered a distressed asset at the time) and Tristan Thompson (ready to retire).  

On 7/4/2021 at 1:02 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

1. How do you figure they play 20 minutes combined.

2. What's the plan for Capela because he and Capela isn't a fit, and you have greatly over valued Sabonis offering Collins, Hunter or Reddish AND a 1st.

3.  Lavine - He can score and score in bunches but what do you do with his defense next to Trae?

Just to note, we can pay, the question is should we? And his Ressler willing to exceed the luxury Tax to do so if we are perennial CONTENDERS.

Point still stands regarding Capela and Ressler.

10 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

I hear you.  We have made some poor decisions consistently as a franchise.

Our talent evaluation overall.

image.gif

We need to leverage our TPE to get an impact player.  It could be a deal where we take on a bad salary with the TPE and they send us an asset in a separate transaction.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We need to leverage our TPE to get an impact player.  It could be a deal where we take on a bad salary with the TPE and they send us an asset in a separate transaction.

I'm all ears - who would the bad salary player be and which impact player.  But it all comes down to Ressler's willingness to get into the tax by using the TPE.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just go ahead and quote me.  I won't be offended.

Sabonis was traded for the 12th pick (Hali), Buddy (considered a distressed asset at the time) and Tristan Thompson (ready to retire).  

No way. I'm not gonna quote you by name like that.

At the time after the ECF run, I think JC, Cam or Dre, and a 1st would be a pretty strong offer Indiana might have considered.  We could have paid Sabonis instead of JC and Dre.  It's more impact for less price.  

Two years later I still like most of my suggestions in that post, and it shows the unrealistic perspective from our success in 2021.

Now I'm saying be patient and wait for the right person and no one likes that suggestion either.  We'll see.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

The problem is the owner won’t pay for a winner.  It is junk.  Like Soth says, the dude is super rich but is worried more about the bottom line than winning.  I wonder if Cuban would buy the Hawks after selling the Mavs?

51 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Here were the responses:

Everyone thought our team was perfect summer of 2021.  Guess how many likes my post got suggesting we bring in guys like Lillard, Sabonis, and Towns vs the post suggesting JC is better than Sabonis?  I got 1 like and JC>Sabonis got 6.  

There was one post in the thread saying we already have a Big 3: Trae, Cam, and Dre.  It probably got a bunch of likes, too.

Fans always overrate their players when the team is playing well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

The problem is the owner won’t pay for a winner.  It is junk.  Like Soth says, the dude is super rich but is worried more about the bottom line than winning.  I wonder if Cuban would buy the Hawks after selling the Mavs?

Pushing all the chips in right now could literally crater this franchise for a decade+.  I dont think people have an appreciation for that… you trade away all your draft assets and young players to go deep into the tax for this mid team to be mid+ for a couple years, and you are in a very bad spot soon after.  We would be a less talented Clippers team, that has absolutely no hope for the future.

Many have said it but there is no easy path to contending right now.  Have to be patient, give the team tome to adjust to Quin, and trust your development staff.  No trade is going to get us there right now, and we dont have assets people value.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

I've said before it's not only about not paying the Tax. It's the money he would miss out on from the other teams that have to pay the tax.  

The tax paying teams money is divided equally between the non-paying teams. So he would miss out on getting his share of the  ~$370 million (last year) paid by the 8 teams last year thats divided between the remaining 22 teams. That's a cool $15 million he gets for staying under.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've said before it's not only about not paying the Tax. It's the money he would miss out on from the other teams that have to pay the tax.  

The tax paying teams money is divided equally between the non-paying teams. So he would miss out on getting his share of the  ~$370 million (last year) paid by the 8 teams last year thats divided between the remaining 22 teams. That's a cool $15 million he gets for staying under.

I get it.  You pay less and get more back from others.  The team owning philosophy is what really frustrates me.  You have billions of dollars and run the team to make as much money as you can instead of trying to use every mechanism to win (which very well may earn more money in the long run).  Even if you lost money how much is it really going to affect your bottom line when you have billions?

• Thanks 1